Topic: Bobby Collins

Just a thought and a stab in the dark but I would love to read an interview by Bobby Collins. I was on Wiki and read he's still alive knocking about in Scotland. Just finished Dirty Leeds and The Unforgiven and thought he must have some cracking stories.

Is there anyone on OMJ with ties to the club that could wrangle a few questions or find out if he would respond? HeyHo? DHM? OC?

Re: Bobby Collins

Loose Lips wrote:

Just a thought and a stab in the dark but I would love to read an interview by Bobby Collins. I was on Wiki and read he's still alive knocking about in Scotland. Just finished Dirty Leeds and The Unforgiven and thought he must have some cracking stories.

Is there anyone on OMJ with ties to the club that could wrangle a few questions or find out if he would respond? HeyHo? DHM? OC?

Mate, Bobby is suffering from dementia and is looked after in a Leeds care home.  Someone on here will probably know where it is but I've forgotten.  I did interview him a few years back - about albert J actually - and he was really interesting and not at all bothered about being asked by a complete stranger.  Met him a few times too but wouldn't say I 'knew' him. 

David Saffer wrote his biog and whilst it's interesting, it is far from in-depth really.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Called my mate a cunt for flagging him offside in a charity match if that's any help.

Site stalwart.

old codger wrote:
Loose Lips wrote:

Mate, Bobby is suffering from dementia and is looked after in a Leeds care home.  Someone on here will probably know where it is but I've forgotten.  I did interview him a few years back - about albert J actually - and he was really interesting and not at all bothered about being asked by a complete stranger.  Met him a few times too but wouldn't say I 'knew' him. 

David Saffer wrote his biog and whilst it's interesting, it is far from in-depth really.

Ah, that's a real shame. Thanks for the update.

No, he was offside.

Oh sorry, you meant OC.

Site stalwart.

lol:lol:

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

I'm sure he worked up at Leeds Uni for a spell. I knew a bloke was a chauffeur up there and I think Collins either drove or washed the cars and pumped the tires up now and again. Said he was a good guy.

Woo hoo hoo

Harvest wrote:

No, he was offside.

Oh sorry, you meant OC.

Pub football linesmen can only flag for throw-ins and substitutions, Bobby was right, as always lol

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Been told on here before...

Bobby Collins was playing for the Ex-Players team in a charity match against a Celebrity XI.  An old boss of mine was playing too, and 'funnily' enough he suffers from Alzheimers now as well.  Anyway, Nick Berry of Eastenders fame (fame then) annoyed Bobby somehow and so Bobby Collins smacked one Nick Berry.  Anyone Can Fall In Love indeed big_smile

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

I like him even more.

Harvest wrote:

No, he was offside.

Oh sorry, you meant OC.

big_smile

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

old codger wrote:

Bobby Collins was playing for the Ex-Players team in a charity match against a Celebrity XI.  An old boss of mine was playing too, and 'funnily' enough he suffers from Alzheimers now as well.  Anyway, Nick Berry of Eastenders fame (fame then) annoyed Bobby somehow and so Bobby Collins smacked one Nick Berry.  Anyone Can Fall In Love indeed big_smile

I played against the Old Boys once.  Both Gray's, Lorimer, Graham, I think Collins played.  In about 1990.  JC was watching, he complimented me on a shot I'm told.  Life does not get better than that.

Arthur Graham drank a lot of Whiskey afterwards I recall, he also scored a 1st half hat-trick.

Anyone remember the Yorkshire Copper Works pithc, finest non-league surface in Yorkshire (therefore the world).

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
old codger wrote:

I played against the Old Boys once.  Both Gray's, Lorimer, Graham, I think Collins played.  In about 1990.  JC was watching, he complimented me on a shot I'm told.  Life does not get better than that.

Arthur Graham drank a lot of Whiskey afterwards I recall, he also scored a 1st half hat-trick.

Anyone remember the Yorkshire Copper Works pithc, finest non-league surface in Yorkshire (therefore the world).

Played on there in a pre-season friendly RP.  My mate dislocated his kneecap so I had to leave to go in the ambulance iwth him. Soft bastard, Bobby would have played on big_smile

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Arthur Graham playing for Leeds Old Boys - a disgrace he should be playing for the scum version.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
old codger wrote:

thet was my where my mum got her first job after she left school

Arthur Graham was my time-keeper at a Whizz Kids sports day at Rothwell sports centre around 81.

you know what I call semantics? wank!

Smutty Lips wrote:

Arthur Graham playing for Leeds Old Boys - a disgrace he should be playing for the scum version.

He never really got much grief for the move did he? Looking at his stats he only played 37 games for them. Was he our payback for Brian Greenhoff?

He did well at Man Utd found a new lease of life , which to me showed he'd been selling us short in his latter days at Leeds. I think he was a stop-gap signing and was replaced after a season or so.

Appropriate payback for Brian Greenhough would have been Brian Caswell, Ronnie Robinson, Ken De Mange and Russel Doig. Brian Greenhough, god he was shit, not that i said that before I saw him play for us.

Always liked Arthur Graham and unlike the others that went to play for Man u always look on him as been Leeds.

________________________________________________________________________________

zicoslovechild wrote:

Always liked Arthur Graham and unlike the others that went to play for Man u always look on him as been Leeds.

Yeah, funnily enough I still think of him as Leeds. Not Jordan or McQueen or Sharpe (who is still a Manc bastard and always will be).

Smutty Lips wrote:

He did well at Man Utd found a new lease of life , which to me showed he'd been selling us short in his latter days at Leeds. I think he was a stop-gap signing and was replaced after a season or so.

Appropriate payback for Brian Greenhough would have been Brian Caswell, Ronnie Robinson, Ken De Mange and Russel Doig. Brian Greenhough, god he was shit, not that i said that before I saw him play for us.

I think everyone sold us short in those last couple of seasons. God we were awful.  Greenhoff was £350,000 and disliked the useless bastard from day 1. Conned again.

gorefidel wrote:
zicoslovechild wrote:

Yeah, funnily enough I still think of him as Leeds. Not Jordan or McQueen or Sharpe (who is still a Manc bastard and always will be).

Yes those two were in my mind, obviously Ferdinand and Smith.

Sharpe what a joke he was, never a Leeds player.

________________________________________________________________________________

Arthur Graham sold more dummies than Mothercare. My cousin had a patch with that on the back of his denim. The peace sign, two fingers effort. He also had a fine collection of silk scarves. I blame him for my Rod Stewart leanings.

Woo hoo hoo

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44545000/jpg/_44545252_bobby_collins_sns300.jpg
Damn shame about Bobby Collins - my old man said he brought billy and giles up in the early 60's.
Quick story: BC did some corp work for the club in 99; One saturday the Alert goes up over the walkie talkies... Fight breaking out in the posh tent. Everyone pelts over and it's mayhem. BC on floor with a busted ankle; punters laid out, ketchup all over. We thought the 5'4' midfield general had been attacked; nope, he'd seen some blaggers without passes, thrown two out, decked the other, then gave chase, caught them and bust his ankle wrestling them to the ground.
He was 71 at the time :}

Last edited by fiery jacque (Mon 14 Dec 2009 8:51 pm)

Contains moderate violence and sustained threat.

gorefidel wrote:
zicoslovechild wrote:

I remember the kop singing.

"bring back; bring back; bring back Arthur Graham to Leeds to Leeds"

I know he's not popular with some on here but I always felt the same about Peter Barnes. He was a fantastic player and an England regular when we bought him. Alledgedly the board pulled the money and Sniffer didn't get to sign Andy Gray so we end up with Graham and Barnes with no bugger to aim at. For Barnes it cost him his trip to the 82 Worldcup. Tony Morley went instead on the back of the goal on the opening titles of Match of The Day.

I remember Graham and Barnes both staring for scum the year they were ten points clear prior to Christmas under Atkinson before injuries decimated their challenge. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been us a few years earlier.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push