Topic: Henry Winter - He's Leeds and he knows he is...

http://img.skysports.com/08/08/218x298/winter_1101583.jpg

OMJ: Leeds are having a mini wobble. Are they going up this season?

Yes. Because of Grayson, Naylor, Becchio, Snodgrass, Howson etc. Too many good players (for that level) and the fans (home and away)

OMJ: One of our posters is concerned that Leeds are losing the ‘dirty’ tag in the press and in danger of being liked. Would you agree?

Remember that Leeds were popular with the press during the run to the CL semi...Anyway, some perspective has come to the dirty tag....there were some fantastic footballers in that 70s team. I've always liked Leeds; my best friend at school in London was a Leeds nut in the 70s, went to ER all the time and we hung on his every word when he returned. He's godfather to my son whose first song, after `the wheels on the bus', was `marching on together'. Aged two. He has a Leeds shirt. The current Leeds side are popular because of Grayson, decent players and in an era when atmospheres have gone, Leeds fans make a racket.

OMJ: Who of the current Leeds squad particularly impresses you?

Snodgrass. Intelligent, good touch. If he could run more athletically, he would be top-class.

OMJ: Is Simon Grayson capable of taking Leeds all the way back to the Premiership
?

Yes. But might take two attempts to get out of Championship.

OMJ: Would you say that Jermaine Beckford is good enough for The Premiership?

Everton will find out! He's quick enough. Becchio has more brains. I thought that pen against Spurs showed unexpected steel and could be the making of him.

OMJ: Favourite all time Leeds player?

Lorimer. With Radebe a close second for sentimental reasons.

OMJ: Best Leeds game ever attended?

Alan Smith at Lazio, tho Anderlecht was pretty special. Probably Old Trafford, tho, because it was no fluke. 

OMJ: Who was your best ever interviewee?

Stan Collymore post-breakdown was eye-opening but probably Martin O'Neill because he can talk about anything.

OMJ: Can you tell us a story that you couldn’t print in The Telegraph or 442?

I joined Phil Masinga, Lucas Radebe and the South African players at their Joburg hotel for an unbelievable party when they qualified for France 98. It all started when I asked Masinga whether he was going to celebrate his clincher goal with a quiet beer...and then the evening became one magnificent blur. 

OMJ: Tipple of choice

Caiprinhia. Brazilian giggle-juice also used for jump-starting cars in Rio favelas. 

OMJ: Beatles or Bowie?

Stupid question. Beatles.

OMJ: Porridge or Dad’s Army?

Dad's Army.

OMJ: The Jam, The Clash or The Specials?

The Clash. Saw them at the Rock Against Racism Anti-Nazi League gig in 1979 and my ears are still ringing. Jam brilliant until That's Entertainment. Saw The Specials but not in the league of the other two.

OMJ: Biscuit of choice?

The nearest. usually milk hob-nob.

OMJ: Last album listened to?

Nighthawks Live at the Psychedelly

OMJ: Can you recommend a good pub?

For food, the Olive Branch at Clipsham off the A1 near Grantham. For beer and atmospere, the Tobie Norris in Stamford, Lincs. 

OMJ: Is the opening between two houses a snicket or a ginnel?

ginnel??

OMJ: And finally, and most importantly, lamb – best served hot or cold?

pasanda. so hot.

Last edited by Harvest (Fri 05 Feb 2010 1:07 pm)

Site stalwart.

Re: Henry Winter - He's Leeds and he knows he is...

Good one. big_smile He has gone native though. hmm

Hat d'offed
lol

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

Thoroughly good egg I say.

Site stalwart.

Nice one Harvest. Seems a nice bloke. Winter, not you.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Definitely not me. I'm horrible.

Site stalwart.

Nice one Harvest.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

nice one Harvest.

I quite like this fella, find him quite interesting on that Sunday morning Sky thing.

Used to buy The Times just for his match reports, $4.50 over here. When others gave you the gossip about the club, under the banner of a match report, Winter reported on the match.
good questions. Good answers, save for Lamb. It's hot AND cold. Lamb'a lamb, you can't go wrong. Unless you're a lamb, obviously.

Woo hoo hoo

Good one.  Thanks for posting.

Eating tofu and hating it.

Nice one. Who's going next?

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

Me and Terry Hall. Set it up pal.

Woo hoo hoo

Cheers Harvest

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

http://twitter.com/henrywinter

Henry well chuffed

Start at the bottom and read up

# Probably make that Algeria's hotel     10:43 AM May 8th  via web

# Judging by texts from ambitious Leeds fans, Grayson off to World Cup, hanging around Spain hotel with chequebook & property guide to Pudsey 10:43 AM May 8th via web

# Leeds-supporting mate in Denver texts to detail agony & ecstacy of listening to Leeds Radio on laptop while watching son playing baseball 9:55 AM May 8th via web

# From all reports at Leeds, Beckford brilliant so why leave? Why sit on Everton bench/start in League Cup when he can march on with Grayson? 9:49 AM May 8th via web

# Great scenes at Elland Road. Great BBC pix of Grayson being soaked by players. If Beckford off to Everton's bench, goal a nice farewell gift 9:16 AM May 8th via web

# Leeds up. Thank God. Chuffed for Grayson, good manager...top bloke. Chuffed for Leeds loyal fans. They did it the hard way but they did it 9:05 AM May 8th via web

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

Best football writer in my humble opinion.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

http://tgr.ph/f7OKs9

Henry still loves us.

Site stalwart.

Quite often watch the Sunday programme. I like quite a few of them, with the obvious exceptoion of John Richardson, the worst haircut in England today.

But jesus, what is the matter with Brian thingo, why does he have to drag Beckham into every programme, a sad case of man love if ever there was one.

Guttersnipe wrote:

Quite often watch the Sunday programme. I like quite a few of them, with the obvious exceptoion of John Richardson, the worst haircut in England today.

But jesus, what is the matter with Brian thingo, why does he have to drag Beckham into every programme, a sad case of man love if ever there was one.

That's the problem with the show it's the same topics discussed every week.

Forgot about this. Did it over a couple of emails, he was a gent.

Site stalwart.