Re: Dexy's Hmmm...

"Nowhere Is Home" from "One Day I'm Going To Soar"

http://soundcloud.com/dexys

"take your Irish stereotype and stick it up your arse"

Welcome back Kev.

Last edited by Rudi (Fri 09 Mar 2012 3:16 pm)

I thought he was in good form in the interview on 6music.. Clothes, football and music are all still passions. Pity Mark Radcliffe wasn't really up to speed, missed the ref to The Little Nibble and kept calling them dexys midnight runners..

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Rudi wrote:

Welcome back Kev.

He's as Irish as Cascarino.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Young Soul Rebels was the first LP I bought with my own money mind.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Mol wrote:
Rudi wrote:

Welcome back Kev.

His family's all from The Emerald Isle.. Listen to 'My Life In England', it's all there..

Mol wrote:
Rudi wrote:

Welcome back Kev.

Yeah, but.... lol

I'd spend £100 on a ticket for him to do a 80% version of What's She Like.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Mol wrote:

Young Soul Rebels was the first LP I bought with my own money mind.

It's one of my favourite albums of all time.  "......for God's sake burn it down.......BA BA BA BA baaaaaaaah".  Best use of brass I can think of this side of Baker Street, Wild Boar, Beautiful Love and White Horses.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Sat 10 Mar 2012 8:36 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

It's in my top ten, it was the first album I bought on cassette and I still have it now. And I still can't work out all the words to Geno or There, There My Dear..

ObL69 wrote:

It's in my top ten, it was the first album I bought on cassette and I still have it now. And I still can't work out all the words to Geno or There, There My Dear..

I like them, a lot, but Whitley Bay is a bridge too far. I've been.

You're only going so you can pop into Barbour on the way up.

Never crossed my mind!

I've worked it out... I have discovered the source  of anti-Kev animosity occasionally experienced on this site.
I've never been able to work out many of the lyrics on Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, so I went exploring today. It appears that in the track, Thankfully Not Living in Yorkshire It Doesn't Apply, Kev sings, 'Lord have mercy on me/Keep me away from Leeds/I've been before/It's not what I'm looking for..'.
I guess that rules out a stop on the next tour then, in fact, did Dexys ever play in Leeds?

Last edited by ObL69 (Tue 13 Mar 2012 1:37 pm)

Probably in his Alabama phase, the one after the 'on the waterfront' look and before his new Harry Connick Jr tribute band

Kev of the day - Their best tune if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Mr_wge … re=related

People don't care for him 'cause he's an odd ball but he's a talent no doubt.

Human kindness is overflowing

Cutsyke wrote:

Kev of the day - Their best tune if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Mr_wge … re=related

People don't care for him 'cause he's an odd ball but he's a talent no doubt.

Not the case, there's odder than him out there. More the fact its all fake and contrived. Great technician but with absolutely no soul.

And he has the voice only a mother could love.

And a fucking brummie/plastic paddy div

Last edited by gorefidel (Tue 13 Mar 2012 1:44 pm)

He's no Brummie, he's from the black country.. If it was all fake, wouldn't he just be living off the royalties of Come On Eileen and doing occasional comeback cruise ship appearances,instead of making a new album and playing live sets at Whitley Bay playhouse and the Park&Dare Club, Treorchy?

ObL69 wrote:

He's no Brummie, he's from the black country.. If it was all fake, wouldn't he just be living off the royalties of Come On Eileen and doing occasional comeback cruise ship appearances,instead of making a new album and playing live sets at Whitley Bay playhouse and the Park&Dare Club, Treorchy?

So now he's the Ken Dodd of a rock n roll?

I even liked the Brush Strokes theme.  I don't care is he was more of a technician than an artist, SFTYSR is a great album.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

I even liked the Brush Strokes theme.  I don't care is he was more of a technician than an artist, SFTYSR is a great album.

Shame he can't sing

gorefidel wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Shame he can't sing

Depends what you like.  Some say Dylan can't sing, or Bragg or Heaton or Gedge but I like them all.  Whitney, Shania and Mariah are all supposed to be all able to sing but I never liked anything they ever did.

They played the Floral Hall in Hornsea,back in the day.

76 Goals

Be as snide as you want but there is no doubting the man's sincerity. He's been responsible for three absolute classic LP's which is two more than a lot of revered bands manage. Plus, the music he's making now is entirely befitting of an older gentleman nearing his sixtieth decade. I think he's an absolute inspiration and I love the way he's not afraid to open himself up to mockery.

*also, when has being able to sing ever mattered? Johnny Rotten, Lou Reed, Dylan etc etc .. what matters is being able to put across a song in a distinctive and convincing style, making your limitations work for you

Last edited by Rudi (Wed 14 Mar 2012 8:28 pm)

Rudi wrote:

Be as snide as you want but there is no doubting the man's sincerity. He's been responsible for three absolute classic LP's which is two more than a lot of revered bands manage. Plus, the music he's making now is entirely befitting of an older gentleman nearing his sixtieth decade. I think he's an absolute inspiration and I love the way he's not afraid to open himself up to mockery.

*also, when has being able to sing ever mattered? Johnny Rotten, Lou Reed, Dylan etc etc .. what matters is being able to put across a song in a distinctive and convincing style, making your limitations work for you

He has a voice that makes me want to do him damage. My problem not his. I don't see how you can mention the others on the same planet, never mind post. Class acts all of them. And putting in harry Jr with them is mind blowing.

And I do doubt his sincerity, in fact I don't think he understands what that is. Its all an act from where I am. He's just sooooo Irish. Like I fucking am.

And its not snide, its right out there. From me anyway.

Last edited by gorefidel (Thu 15 Mar 2012 9:39 pm)

he's not my cup of tea but anyone who can write their own stuff for people to appreciate should be given respect. Even Barlow and the like.

Do you respect plumbers?

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.