Topic: Darlo Dying..

1400 people in a 24000 all-seater stadium. Their club with huge financial problems but only 1230 (170 away fans)bother to turn up? I'm not sure that's a community that wants to keep its club alive, maybe all the fights gone out of them? Easy to see why when they look around that daft, big stadium.. I'm told they offered to sell it to Rotherham..
If they keep going, it looks like they'll be the first ex- football league club to get relegated to the Blue Square North.
Still we won, even after a Leeds style defensive collapse. I played The Farm's Spartacus LP on the way up and back, Stand Up and Fight and Be Counted was a very appropriate chorus for the evening.
£5 to park at the ground, I hope that went into Darlo club coffers.

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

Everyone knew the stadium would be an albatross, except nutty George that is.

Last edited by Foxy Dread (Wed 28 Mar 2012 8:42 am)

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

Foxy Dread wrote:

Everyone knew the stadium would be an albatross, except nutty George that is.

Didn't he have a building firm.....?

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

gorefidel wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:

Everyone knew the stadium would be an albatross, except nutty George that is.

Didn't he have a building firm.....?

He was definitely part of a 'firm'......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

BUT it isn't the ground that has cost then millions over the last 5 years its PLAYERS WAGES!! The clubs capacity to make money to cover those wages was as limited at Feethams as it has been at the new ground.

As an aside, would make a great temporary ground for Leeds United when the estate of a tax exile boots us out of Elland Road in a few years.....

Last edited by Big Society (Wed 28 Mar 2012 10:01 am)

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

Big Society wrote:

BUT it isn't the ground that has cost then millions over the last 5 years its PLAYERS WAGES!! The clubs capacity to make money to cover those wages was as limited at Feethams as it has been at the new ground.

As an aside, would make a great temporary ground for Leeds United when the estate of a tax exile boots us out of Elland Road in a few years.....

I don't know and I haven't really looked - but from what I have been told the man who owned ran it as a tax loss and a way of getting clean cash through it, until he got nicked and (I think) ended up back in the chokey. Winding the contracts down and other bits can take a while unless you dump it through admin.

But lets face it, Darlo have never had much support and trying to do a Blackburn or a Wigan isn't easy when you actually try.

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

gorefidel wrote:
Big Society wrote:

BUT it isn't the ground that has cost then millions over the last 5 years its PLAYERS WAGES!! The clubs capacity to make money to cover those wages was as limited at Feethams as it has been at the new ground.

As an aside, would make a great temporary ground for Leeds United when the estate of a tax exile boots us out of Elland Road in a few years.....

I don't know and I haven't really looked - but from what I have been told the man who owned ran it as a tax loss and a way of getting clean cash through it, until he got nicked and (I think) ended up back in the chokey. Winding the contracts down and other bits can take a while unless you dump it through admin.

But lets face it, Darlo have never had much support and trying to do a Blackburn or a Wigan isn't easy when you actually try.

The last two administrations are after Reynolds!

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

Big Society wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
Big Society wrote:

BUT it isn't the ground that has cost then millions over the last 5 years its PLAYERS WAGES!! The clubs capacity to make money to cover those wages was as limited at Feethams as it has been at the new ground.

As an aside, would make a great temporary ground for Leeds United when the estate of a tax exile boots us out of Elland Road in a few years.....

I don't know and I haven't really looked - but from what I have been told the man who owned ran it as a tax loss and a way of getting clean cash through it, until he got nicked and (I think) ended up back in the chokey. Winding the contracts down and other bits can take a while unless you dump it through admin.

But lets face it, Darlo have never had much support and trying to do a Blackburn or a Wigan isn't easy when you actually try.

The last two administrations are after Reynolds!

fair enough. But its a club with no reason to exist, no support and should have died years ago like a few more.

Its time has past.

By the way, both Houghton and Signh appear to be mates of Reyonolds and property developers. And you know that the club don't own the ground, but other related people do.

big_smile so yeah, its all about players contracts and nothing to do with the land round it etc...

Last edited by gorefidel (Wed 28 Mar 2012 10:25 am)

Share

Re: Darlo Dying..

The most likely outcome is that the ground will be demolished, value in the site only, no-one wants the stadium.. feethams is still standing as well. But theres no cash to tidy it up either.
I've been to Feethams when they got decent crowds but interest wanes the longer a club's 'in crisis', see Chester City who went down to gates under a thousand but are now one of non-league's best supported clubs in their new Supporter Run guise.

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Share