Re: Be afraid Wrexham, be very afraid

We're having our first Adidas kit since the late 70's this season. Its causing great excitement cos the last time we were Adidas we had our greatest team ever, worn gloriously at home and in Europe. It'll sell in bucketloads. Unfortunately, Adidas seem a little more preoccupied with the Olympics... So no sign of anything in the shop yet.

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Always preferred adidas kits, AFTER the Admiral ones of circa '74 on.  I know those Admiral ones were horrible to wear but I loved all their designs that I remember.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Foxy Dread wrote:

The Stalybridge team was made up almost excusively of young FL rejects, who were training as a full time squad with the hope they might break back into the game, all under the nous of the ex Morecambe manager Jim, errr Harvey? If a few have moved on to full time football you would have to deem it a success, they just need to recruit well once again.

I think the lad we signed has only had non-league experience. Hobson he's called. Big lanky left footed striker. I remember him running us ragged in the cup and thinking "He looks pure Sunday league, but ace Sunday league".

The other lad we're in for, Wilkinson, another big lad who plays in midfield came through their youth team I think. Not sure on any of the others. There's a full back who looked like he could compete higher, forget his name. Sounds African. Then the aforementioned Jennings.

I'm surprised at how many have left Hyde. Noticed Reeves has gone back to Alty after being faffed about on trial at Gillingham. With his goals they'll surely be one to watch?

ObL69 wrote:

We're having our first Adidas kit since the late 70's this season. Its causing great excitement cos the last time we were Adidas we had our greatest team ever, worn gloriously at home and in Europe. It'll sell in bucketloads. Unfortunately, Adidas seem a little more preoccupied with the Olympics... So no sign of anything in the shop yet.

We had adidas between 96 and 99. The 96/97 season was our best in history. We were 1 game from European qualification, as a League 1 level side. We beat 6 teams from higher divisions that season, four of which were from the Prem. Great days.

Paul Jones, Sean Connelly, Lee Todd, Tom Bennett, Mike Flynn, Jim Gannon, Luis Cavaco, Chris Marsden, Brett Angell, Alun Armstrong, Kevin Cooper. Subs, Tony Dinning, Andy Mutch, Damon Searle, Keiron Durkan, John Jeffers. 

Did they have five subs back then? That's pretty much our entire squad there. Plus Neil Edwards.

Great days. We finished 8th in the Championship the following season despite having to replace half that team with inferior players. Eric Nixon for Paul Jones? Pah. Lee Todd for Colin Woodthorpe. No contest. Paul Cook was decent but he was no Chris Marsden. And Ian Moore never did it properly here as replacement for Armstrong.