Topic: Info needed on Leeds - Man U games 73 and 75

I'm a researcher at Helsinki University, Finland. Originally from Shipley, went to ER in 60's and early 70's. Now doing some historical research into conflict in Yorkshire. One case I am looking at is trouble at ER when Man U visited. There were games in 73 and 75. Does anyone have any idea what happened at these games? Both are reported in Gall's book, but it would be very helpful if I could get first hand reports on what happened at these games, to get the point of view from the Leeds fans. Cheers in advance.

Re: Info needed on Leeds - Man U games 73 and 75

On the SC site no doubt the enquirer has been labled "plod" "dibble" "officer" etc, etc etc.

Posting in the right section would help.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

I was 8 and 10 respectively in those years... did we really play man u in 75?

Anyway, I don't even remember the results - though one might have been 5-1 to us I dunno - and I was too young to be even an apprentice VYT.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

75-76 was the first one I went to, I was 13. We lost (as usual) 1-2.

Wasn't a sell out (as usual). They brought loads (as usual).  Vast majority were Yorkshire Reds, who been in town since early morning in big groups, arriving at the central bus station (as was - we got chased by a load of big lads), the Red bus station on Vicar lane, the other one on Wellington St and the train and there'd been fights all over the place well before anyone got to the ground. Their usual barbarian invasion.

Theres kind of a thread on it in the proper section.

I think I was on that hill watchin all the big lads knock fuck out of one another, but they all blur.

Last edited by gore (Mon 29 Oct 2012 2:45 pm)

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Early 70s Man U, literally any ground, read invasion, natives put up a decent fight but mental numbers meant some won some lost. Is all this hooliganism thing all played out?

Serious question, what's the appeal of violence for so many researchers?

Wouldn't it be better to do a paper on say Racial integration in West Yorks during the same era?

He should talk to Pat, he'd like to sell a second copy of his research papers lol

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

75/76 was the flyover incident like gore says on the other thread my man ure supporting neighbour got done bout 4 times at that game in fact he stopped going after that Game he was stabbed ,bricked done over by Leeds fans then picked up to see if he ok when he said yes they did hom over again He was n;t a bad lad for a red as well.i Think Man Ure scored all their point searly doors but when all the locals were out they got a right shoeing

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 29 Oct 2012 6:34 pm)

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

Cheers for the replies. Would have put it on the right link if I knew which one. First time I posted anything and I tried to post on another thread but it wouldn't let me. Not only looking at Leeds case but also Bradford Riots in 95 and Orgreave in 84 to see what kind of grievances were held by those involved (not the police). There are some parallels with what is starting to happen over here in Finland, hence the interest. If you know of any contacts or can guide me in the right direction (not over the nearest balcony) would be appreciated. Am being up front here, have met those involved in all the events, but getting accurate statements of those involved in the footy side not so easy. I was going to look at Leeds Cardiff in 2005, but not easy to get accounts. Consequently I went back to my roots when I used to go to ER, and coming from Shipley there were some  who used to go to ER. Anyway, cheers for taking the time out, as I said any pointers or where best to post would be appreciated.

Cardiff has already been the subject of an academic paper - see P Slaughter/ Redhead stuff http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/e … 2/redhead/

Bit surprised if you are in academia you haven't connected with them directly...

Anyways Leeds/Man u games were like local derby's back then, they had as many local fans (if not more) from West Yorks as we did.  The police tried to keep the peace. Very different scenario to the 80's, very different policing and very different to the miners strike when the police finally became the arm of state repression.

And there is a load of stuff in the Leeds now and the LUFC legends section

Last edited by gore (Tue 30 Oct 2012 3:27 pm)

Yep will be in contact with Redhead, thanks for the link.Lots of stuff done also by Wiiliams down in Leicester and reports from Popplewell held at Bfd Uni on the trouble at Birmingham. Leeds Reds good point, I can remember the school playground having running battles between Leeds and Man U when I was at junior school in the 60s. At Orgreave, many from outside Yorks, Bradford riots attracted lots from outside Yorks. This question of identity is important, but not clear who's identity as many of the participants not from Yorks. Still not clear where the trouble kicked off at the Leeds Man U games, important to find out out where it started, probably not in one location and how it unfolded from there. There were the most arrests at ER in 75 and there must be some reason for this. In 73, Leeds got a hard time from all accounts, so maybe this was payback time. Then Man U were relegated so things were left until 75, unless something happened at Old Trafford.

Not Leeds reds, there weren't many of them in the city themselves  - although there were a couple of coachloads went regularly, but in the main it was the other towns and pit villages.

Why was it bad in 75? Was it? The Man utd wasn't in isolation that season, there were 3 or 4  that were up there. The Man City game when they opened the South Stand was very bloody. Liverpool, Newcastle were all really bad violence wise.

Thing was by 75, doc's red army was in full swing. They'd wrecked everywhere in the second division the season before - they were massive and ran the trains on a Saturday (something that lasted until 78ish), if you were Leeds you had to be careful, we had nothing like their numbers away from home. We got a hard time everytime we went to OT, that season was the first time I went there. It was bad, 78 night game was worse.

In Leeds, they never had the run of the place, but in 75 you had a new generation of fans in leeds - loads of who had had a hard time, they (the Mancs) were seen as very local  - more so than Bratfud or the rest of the dwarves - and lets be honest - they (the Mancs) were the biggest and baddest after what they did the season before.

Every nutter in town turned out for them, even them who didn't like football. And they arrived in groups from all over very early.

And the Police for once, just walked away and let it happen (as was the case most everywhere BUT Leeds) back then, and then stepped in cleaned up the leftovers.

Last edited by gore (Tue 30 Oct 2012 3:58 pm)

I luv white - who posts on here, knows way more than I do. I was 13, he was in his 30s then, even so he has a sharpe memory for someone so old. big_smile

Last edited by gore (Tue 30 Oct 2012 3:57 pm)

Do you think it would be on board if I was to contact him direct? I assume I can do it by his email link if he has one, but what is the best way to contact him? Thanks for taking the time out.