Topic: Him...

Interesting interview with Clough post Leeds. Talks about admiring Don but not liking him, which is somewhat beyond the current emotionally stunted generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgM1JoEEes

Personally I've always felt it was madness to appoint him but having done so the board should have had the balls to back their own decision.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Re: Him...

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

Interesting interview with Clough post Leeds. Talks about admiring Don but not liking him, which is somewhat beyond the current emotionally stunted generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGgM1JoEEes

Personally I've always felt it was madness to appoint him but having done so the board should have had the balls to back their own decision.

Clueless without Taylor...and the stats back that up!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

No they did the right thing getting shut, he wanted to break up a team that had won the league championship overnight. A team that was good enough to get to the European Cup Final.

He has expressed in writing that he regrets how he handled the Leeds job.

Foxy Dread wrote:

No they did the right thing getting shut, he wanted to break up a team that had won the league championship overnight. A team that was good enough to get to the European Cup Final.

He has expressed in writing that he regrets how he handled the Leeds job.

Yeah, think you're right. They hated him that much, we would have been relegated.

Odd thing was that they paid Clough more basic than Revie took the England job for.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Fascinating interview. He was a cocky bastard, right enough, but brutally straightforward, much too much so for the tight-knit group he inherited at Leeds. Much of what he was saying to Frost made sense and he seemed wise beyond his years. I liked his remarks about unemployment casting a shadow of fear on anyone who suffers it, about balance between stick and praise in dealing with players, about getting things out in the open, about not letting your job take over your life.

Given that he and the Don both came out of the wrong end of 'Boro, it's always surprised me that they weren't more matey. I suppose shared background only has part to do with who you become.

I think he had a massive ego that clouded his judgement. I don't think it's a giant leap to assume that he felt whatever he won with Don's squad would always have leave questions about his own ability.

I think he's a total cunt in fairness.

My old fella's best mate at school, both from Canon Park, rough arse of the Boro. Me ma says Clough was a total gent, didn't drink, dedicated pro in his late teens. Don't think my old fella ever talked to him after his youth but I reckon he measured himself against Clough his whole life.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?