Topic: The Lowfields Elland Road

As in Gore's new avatar. That little strip between the seats and standing. Didn't they have it closed towards the end of stand's reign? Was it standing in there? Can't remember.

Site stalwart.

Re: The Lowfields Elland Road

Harvest wrote:

As in Gore's new avatar. That little strip between the seats and standing. Didn't they have it closed towards the end of stand's reign? Was it standing in there? Can't remember.

It was standing. They made some changes and closed it off mid 80s I think. Mostly cos if you went up there you could drop down in with the away fans if they had 2-3 pens.

best view in the ground in my view. And the most fun - the tea bar at the back at the top was ace for giving away fans stick at half time. And a few pies. big_smile

Last edited by gorefidel (Fri 25 Jun 2010 1:59 pm)

Sadly never went in that little bit in front of the seats.

One night, in `82 I went with my dad to watch us play Hudds in a league cup game, we lost 1-0.
It is the only time I ever sat in the Lowfields seats and even now, don`t know why we did.

Maybe it was because it was such a posh bunch in there. At FT, somebody threw a half (sized) empty bottle of whisky into the Hudds end.

I loved the Lowfields though, great spec and on big games a great atmosphere.

________________________________________________________________________________

I loved the Lowefilds seats. Sat in there many a time. Went in there one night we played Boro, Vinnie came on for us, (was it his debut?) and jumps to head a ball that's about fucking 20 foot in the air. I looked at my mate and groaned. Seats said restricted view. Sight lines were perfect until kick off when a load of Garforth whites stood up and started singing in front of us. Palister was playing for Boro. I thought he looked very good.

Woo hoo hoo

Yes Vinnie came on as sub to make his debut. We'd lost at Newcastle 5-2 on the Saturday.

We went behind but eventually won the game with a freak goal where the ball kicked off a divot and left the keeper stranded. I was in Lowfield standing for that one.

That was the one season when i was in Lowfields nearly every game - I think it was nigh impossible to get in the kop without a ticket or season-ticket that year.

It lost a lot when they chopped half the seating away - anyone remember when that was?

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

The majesty of a Giles penalty - just pass it into the side netting.

Lowfields Lowfields do yer job!

(esp. against Sheff utd in promotion season when a group of about 20 were in the seats)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Lowfields Lowfields do yer job!

(esp. against Sheff utd in promotion season when a group of about 20 were in the seats)

except that Sheff U claim it was 200 in there that day!!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Great bit of film that.

Early 60's... if only

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcgupoZCcAERmwV.jpg:large

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

https://twitter.com/CockerDave/status/4 … to/1/large
From Dave Cocker's Twitter feed.

Last edited by Cuts (Sat 28 Dec 2013 6:03 am)

First game I ever went to was vs Everton. 1979-80 season, first home game.
My dad took me and my sister and we stood on that thin strip of terrace.
He probably surmised it would be a safe spot for kids.
Abiding memories of that evening was the size of the ground and watching Arthur Graham on the wing.
Also, the M621 had been built since my dad last attended (73-74) and I seem to remember having to pick our way over what appeared to be building sites to get from his favoured parking spot to the ground.
Leeds won 2-0.

Dave Cocker putting some good stuff up about a fire at Notts Forest in 68. I'd no knowledge of that. Good reading. If you're on Twitter he's well worth following

https://twitter.com/CockerDave

Cuts wrote:

Thats where it came from. I like him, very entertaining, loads of stuff and he offered someone out on Twitter who told him off for slagging David 'Leeds fanatic all mu life' Haigh.

He did? Sound. Don't get he Twitter knockers, it's as good or as bad as you want it to be. I'm sure there's loads I should be following but I'm in the dark.

gore wrote:
Cuts wrote:

Thats where it came from. I like him, very entertaining, loads of stuff and he offered someone out on Twitter who told him off for slagging David 'Leeds fanatic all mu life' Haigh.

i worked with Dave for 10 years, he's as entertaining day to day as he is on Twitter. Managed to get hold of his Dad's trackie top from the 1973 cup final for him, he was chuffed to bits.

Yeah? Nice. How did you manage to get hold of that?

Cuts wrote:

Yeah? Nice. How did you manage to get hold of that?

My brother worked at Umbro and they were moving offices and they found a box with all the trackie tops from the 1973 cup final including Les Cocker's. They were the white ones with the players names on the back in blue. He told me, i said could i have Les' to give to Dave and so it came to pass.

You'd think stuff like that would be at the ground already would you? Top marks though, sure it meant a lot to him.

Phew, they made it big_smile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6_QrfLIQAAzOPx.jpg:large

That's a weird photo. Like someone's intensified the colour on the horse and the poster

"We are The Fall"