Re: Taxi

Soap was a good show, Billy Crystal as the gay son. Garry Shandling was great, The Larry Sanders Show even better.

Was never really into Roseanne but the wife is good mates with Becky, the blonde daughter, we're off to her wedding in Chicago end of May.

Cuts, you ever watch The Bob Newhart Show, old school sitcom from the 70s, classic stuff. Gentle but smart, kind of like the Seinfeld of its time.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Mike Jones wrote:

Soap was a good show, Billy Crystal as the gay son. Garry Shandling was great, The Larry Sanders Show even better.

Was never really into Roseanne but the wife is good mates with Becky, the blonde daughter, we're off to her wedding in Chicago end of May.

Cuts, you ever watch The Bob Newhart Show, old school sitcom from the 70s, classic stuff. Gentle but smart, kind of like the Seinfeld of its time.

Bob Newhart Show had the generic set.  Front door on the left, stairs middle then kitchen door on right.  So did Roseanne, Who's the Boss, Silver Spoons (kids thing with Ricky Schroeder).

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Loved Soap - some of my earliest comedy memories alongside Different Strokes.......

I also used to like Kelly Monteith - can barely remember why - but looked forward to his show every week (on Beeb 2 I think)

Talking of 'one room' comedy I absolutely loved "Married with Children" - some dark comedy and perfectly pointed sarcasm (and the daughter was FIT!)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Loved Soap - some of my earliest comedy memories alongside Different Strokes.......

I also used to like Kelly Monteith - can barely remember why - but looked forward to his show every week (on Beeb 2 I think)

Talking of 'one room' comedy I absolutely loved "Married with Children" - some dark comedy and perfectly pointed sarcasm (and the daughter was FIT!)

aye, Kelly Monteith, he was pretty good as I recall.  Also a bit of a novelty to have an American in a British sitcom.

Was the lass from Married with Children her out of Anchorman?

Reggie Perrin wrote:

aye, Kelly Monteith, he was pretty good as I recall.  Also a bit of a novelty to have an American in a British sitcom.

That's the one - took me a few years to equate the two though

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

That's the one - took me a few years to equate the two though

The mum is the voice of Leela in Futurama.

Loved taxi and cheers. Same as been said I used to love soap and Benson too.

As for English,  not sure porridge can be topped but only fools was quality.  Steptoe and son though.  I thought was absolutely brilliant. Used to piss myself at that. When they divided the house in two. Genius. And when Steptoe sneezed on the steak in the butchers, ace

Greyhound with glasses.

'Wait 'til your father gets home....we know!'

Some of the stuff mentioned made me think of that.

Don't think there's ever been anything as consistently funny as Porridge that still stands the test of time. Watched The Young Ones recently, managed about 10 mins.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Rhoda makes me think of staying up late......'this is Carlton your doorman'

Up near LABIA is a small hamlet called Carlton. 

Every time I drive through, I can hear in my head that tedious voice, 'Hi, this is Carlton your doorman...'

I think Outnumbered was a pretty good for a modern British family-based sitcom.

Love this but I did spend over 25 years working in the NHS.

It's all, almost, true, I tell ya.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Cuts wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Curb Your Enthusiasm you car wash cunts.

Can't get into that at all.

I'm surprised that you can't get on with it. I've always seen it as Seinfeld's elder sweary brother. I'm surprised I like it as much as I do as I'm not great with conflict and it's all based around conflict. I think Larry David says what a lot of us are thinking but can't quite bring ourselves to come out with it. I genuinely think it's genius. I love the way little scenarios are barely touched on at the start and you forget about them and are then revisited right at the end, dropped in, little humour bombs. I think it's arcs they call them, 3 or 4 in a show. Clever stuff. Larry stood in the McDonald's drive-thru between cars as his car has broken down for instance.

I've only ever watched a few Seinfeld, never properly. I know if I sat down and watched a box set I'd  appreciate it. Never heard a bad word. I remember dismissing it for years along with the Gary Shandling Show thinking they were just slick American sitcoms with slap bass fills. I now realise they're far from that.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Rhoda makes me think of staying up late......'this is Carlton your doorman'

Remember the Mum, sorry, Mom?

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/daily_livejournal/SF%20Women%20Daily/Movies%20N-Z/Planet%20of%20the%20Apes/zira.png