Topic: No Middle Ground by Sanjeev Shetty

All about the relationships and fights between Benn, Eubank and Watson.  A sort of poor man's Fabulous Four but well put together and for my age group, it was a great time to watch boxing.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Re: No Middle Ground by Sanjeev Shetty

I don't know about poor man's. I certainly think they could have held their own in that company, especially a prime Eubank.

Cuts wrote:

I don't know about poor man's. I certainly think they could have held their own in that company, especially a prime Eubank.

I say poor man's mainly because they kept it this side of the Atlantic on the whole and only Benn really had any success against decent Yanks.   Barkley and McClelland.   Watson lost badly against McCallum and Eubank was strictly safety first after Watson II.

I don't think Benn was good enough,  Watson lacked that last 1% that makes champions in the ring but Eubank could have, yeah.   He was far better than most people think but could make enough money without risking too much when he didn't have to.   

I would have loved to have seen Eubank clean Leonard's clock.   Couldn't stand that cunt.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 13 Feb 2017 10:27 pm)

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Cuts wrote:

I say poor man's mainly because they kept it this side of the Atlantic on the whole and only Benn really had any success against decent Yanks.   Barkley and McClelland.   Watson lost badly against McCallum and Eubank was strictly safety first after Watson II.

I don't think Benn was good enough,  Watson lacked that last 1% that makes champions and Eubank could have Yeah.   He was dark better than most people think but could make enough money without risking too much when he didn't face to.   

I would have loved to have seen Eubank clean Leonard's click.   Couldn't stand the cunt.

I'm not sure were comparing like with like with like here, Eubank was naturally a lot bigger than Leonard but had they fought I'm not sure we'd have seen a punch.

Collins beat Eubank twice but looked short v some good fighters  in the late 80s (McCallum, Johnson and Kalambay). As good as McCallum was I'm not sure he was as good as Hagler, leonard et al.

Its irrelevant though the Benn, Eubank, Watson fights were top class.

You read War Baby Reggie ?

Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Cuts wrote:

I don't think Benn was good enough,  Watson lacked that last 1% that makes champions and Eubank could have Yeah.   He was dark better than most people think but could make enough money without risking too much when he didn't face to.   

I would have loved to have seen Eubank clean Leonard's click.   Couldn't stand the cunt.

I'm not sure were comparing like with like with like here, Eubank was naturally a lot bigger than Leonard but had they fought I'm not sure we'd have seen a punch.

Collins beat Eubank twice but looked short v some good fighters  in the late 80s (McCallum, Johnson and Kalambay). As good as McCallum was I'm not sure he was as good as Hagler, leonard et al.

Its irrelevant though the Benn, Eubank, Watson fights were top class.

You read War Baby Reggie ?

I haven't no.  Will look it up though.  Dark Trade is next on my list.

Dark Trade is a classic. One of the best sport books you'll ever read

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Depends which Sugar Ray and Yearns you're taking about. Fought at various weights. Hagler also fought men in different weight classes - Mugabi was, I think LM.
McCallum's a tough one, didn't a lot of people avoid him?
Personal opinion but I think at his peak Eubank would have beat Collins. Imagine Benn and Yearns wailing on each other?

War Baby is an excellent book.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Dark Trade is a classic. One of the best sport books you'll ever read

That's what I've heard TB.   I'm ashamed it's taken so long to get around to it.

Cuts wrote:

Depends which Sugar Ray and Yearns you're taking about. Fought at various weights. Hagler also fought men in different weight classes - Mugabi was, I think LM.
McCallum's a tough one, didn't a lot of people avoid him?
Personal opinion but I think at his peak Eubank would have beat Collins. Imagine Benn and Yearns wailing on each other?

War Baby is an excellent book.

Eubank at his peak was very effective,  a little unorthodox, hit like a bastard but over all had the best chin in town.

Eubank was class. Awkward to fight and tough as teak. He did the pantomime villain beautifully too. And that meant money. Lots of it. Short and dangerous career, he knew that more than most.
McCallum always makes me think of Toney. Now he was always good to watch. Old school style.

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Tue 14 Feb 2017 12:31 am)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Watson was schooled hugely by mccallum in their fight.. possibly mccallum at his absolute best there.. Watson took some punishment that night and if I remember rightly it should have been stopped earlier... I was a a big fan of eubank., used to read about him in boxing news a bit before I saw his first fight. . His first fight I saw was his 15th fight against a guy called wisniewski or something.. eubank looked so different, unorthodox, Screwing punches in from different angles.. and he looked big and tough.. however I used to bet on boxing all the time back then and I never lost money on any of the fights between Benn, Watson and eubank apart from the first Watson eubank scrap.. I picked Watson and let's not forget he was robbed.. second fight I picked eubank but Watson was winning that fight and was about to stop Chris when he got caught.  I had a pub at the time of that second fight and I'd had a bet on eubank with practically everyone in the pub. Before the last round I paid everyone out but then hastily took it back plus winnings after that tragic KO. 

Great times, fighters and fights.

Also, on a footnote. These fights were on itv terrestrial tv.. eubank Jr was on itv pay per view.   I wouldn't pay to qatch that no chance..

And back in the world of sport/grandstand days both stations used to show recaps of fights from abroad... that's how I used to watch all the great fights and first clapped eyes on some brilliant fighters..

I still don't understand why no station takes up the rights for replays over here.. I hate how the sports been allowed to disappear off the screen..

I hope CH5 up their efforts and follow some careers,  that's how you build an audience.   Young fighters should be telling their promoters that they want to be seen.   I'm a big boxing fan but I rarely pay to view.   Fuck that.  Particularly when most fights are foregone conclusions .   Just look at the odds,  it's pitiful.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Tue 14 Feb 2017 10:38 pm)

Boxing will always be my sport but it's extremely rare I pay ppv..

Murdoch

Is

A

Massive

Cunt

Bbc and sport don't seem to go together anymore do they. I never watch TV it's extremely rare.. I pay my license fee for 6music.. and I'm getting slightly fed up with their playlists at the moment.. not nearly enough new stuff but don't get me started on that..