Re: Summer Holiday 2017

Couldn't get a place in East Putney?

I'm going to a place called Castillio Duquessa about an hour West of Malaga at the end of May.

I am planning to drive to a place Jimmini De La Fronteria, (sp) about 40 mins north and get the train to Ronda.

Has anyone been to Ronda?

I am also considering getting the Bullet train to Cordova as well.

Aim Low and miss...

Some AI hotel in Malgret de Mar (for kids really) in June.  Highlands in August for some fresh air and flat sausage.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I've been to Rhonda,  it's well nice

I've been to Ronda which is much nicer than Rhonda. I'll stick something up when I have time Dan.

^ Ta

I had a quick look yesterday.  Did not relaise it was the home of Bullfighting.

Aim Low and miss...

Don't let that put you off, as long as you avoid any bull fighting fiestas. If you are vehemently anti bull fighting Andalucia is the wrong place full stop.

There's a beautiful bridge there, that loses it's appeal when you get told that people were thrown off it during the civil war.

I'm just as God made me, Sir!

First week of Nov in Fort Worth

Smutty Lips wrote:

I've been to Ronda which is much nicer than Rhonda. I'll stick something up when I have time Dan.

Ha, there used to be (might even still be there) a really good sports shop just off the main square by the entrance to the underground carpark.

Odd Job wrote:

I been going here for 10 years, restaurants come and go but the ones that have stood the test of time, not surprisingly, are the best ones.  I always try to visit the following at least once:

A Gale - family run Portuguese restaurant on hill out of the main square
Le Cro - opened this year by a young couple.  Serves tapas - top notch.  They also do brilliant wines
Earth Shop & Cafe - closes at 6pm so only good for breakfast or dinner
Jota Lita - similar to A Gale although I prefer A Gale but there's not much in it
Boneca Bar (at Algar Seco) - mainly fish and chicken dishes but best location to eat and drink in Carvoeiro particularly when the sun's going down
A Vela - another excellent traditional Portuguese family run restaurant

A hidden gem of a bar that overlooks the main square is Matabixo, it is over an off licence and you have to access up a flight of steps at the side of said shop, once upstairs you get a grandstand view. Decent place to chill, have a few drinks and watch the world go by.  Run by a German fella - Sven, who came on holiday 30 years ago, met and married a local girl and has stayed there ever since.  Big into his football so he's always up for a chat about English, German or Portuguese football.

Looks like people agree with you about Le Cro

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … garve.html

Doing some research now ahead of the trip based on the stuff on this thread.  Officially excited

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Off to Kefalonia in a couple of days.  Anyone been before?

Yes, it was very chilled from what I recall.

Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door.

CBIT wrote:
Smutty Lips wrote:

Ha, there used to be (might even still be there) a really good sports shop just off the main square by the entrance to the underground carpark.

sweet!

I booked the train yesterday.  From a place called Frontera De Le Jimmini (or something) to Ronda - an hour and £33 for three of us.

Aim Low and miss...

space wrote:

Going to Kefalonia for the fourth time in July.  Love the place.  I'm normally the sort who can't relax but I find no trouble doing so there.

Visit the capital Aristoli if you can.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Frejus. Via Burgundy. We are taking the bikes. Get in.

Now yous can't leave.....

Thinking about Bosnia for 5 days with 5 days in Croatia. Fancy Sarajevo, Mostar and Plivsko lake. Anyone been to Bosnia?

Not Bosnia, but Croatia is booked for August. Hvar and Split.

Back from a few days in IoW - was OK,  nothing special probably due to the windy over cast weather

Disappointed with the lack of seafood on offer.  Tried to look for some decent places but just didn't seem to happen

Boys had fun though so all good

6/10

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Loose Lips wrote:

Not Bosnia, but Croatia is booked for August. Hvar and Split.

Booked it. Doing Split first then Mostar, Sarajevo.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Odd Job wrote:

I been going here for 10 years, restaurants come and go but the ones that have stood the test of time, not surprisingly, are the best ones.  I always try to visit the following at least once:

A Gale - family run Portuguese restaurant on hill out of the main square
Le Cro - opened this year by a young couple.  Serves tapas - top notch.  They also do brilliant wines
Earth Shop & Cafe - closes at 6pm so only good for breakfast or dinner
Jota Lita - similar to A Gale although I prefer A Gale but there's not much in it
Boneca Bar (at Algar Seco) - mainly fish and chicken dishes but best location to eat and drink in Carvoeiro particularly when the sun's going down
A Vela - another excellent traditional Portuguese family run restaurant

A hidden gem of a bar that overlooks the main square is Matabixo, it is over an off licence and you have to access up a flight of steps at the side of said shop, once upstairs you get a grandstand view. Decent place to chill, have a few drinks and watch the world go by.  Run by a German fella - Sven, who came on holiday 30 years ago, met and married a local girl and has stayed there ever since.  Big into his football so he's always up for a chat about English, German or Portuguese football.

Looks like people agree with you about Le Cro

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … garve.html

Doing some research now ahead of the trip based on the stuff on this thread.  Officially excited

Always go here when I'm in carvoeiro https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … garve.html

Don't miss Monte Carvoeiro take the hill from sullys 5/10min walk , nice square great restaurants and bars

Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
space wrote:

Going to Kefalonia for the fourth time in July.  Love the place.  I'm normally the sort who can't relax but I find no trouble doing so there.

Visit the capital Aristoli if you can.

In one word.   Perfect.  Argostoli was nice - went about 10:30am and saw the turtles a few times.  And Makris Gialos beech has to be the best beech I've ever been to in my life.  Perfect sand, gentle clear water and if you hold up your hand a waiter brings you an ice cold mythos.  If you need more than that then you were spoiled as a kid.

Off to some place called Malgrat on Friday for a week.  Pool, kids, beach, San Miquel, sangria.  It''ll do, not my choice but hey ho.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Yorkshire.

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Annual jaunt to the Algarve on Sunday for a fortnight!!

Just saying like!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"