Re: Cranked Up Really High

Loose arms is the key. Sounds daft but staying relaxed means you deal with bumps in the road etc better

Now yous can't leave.....

And it was lovely when we set off at 7.15....
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/BobRust_photos/20170219_092551.jpg

Headwind and rain didn't help. Rode there, climbed, took a picture, rode down. The wind was 'interesting' on the first bit down from the viewing area (which wasn't much of one today unless you're a fan of mist).

We'd been right behind a MX rider who washed out on a bend leaving Huddersfield which didn't help the nerves flying downhill. Helped him get the bike out of the road. It was stupidly slippy but couldn't see any diesel or similar. He reckoned a lot of the new smooth tarmac is lethal for bikes.

35 miles, Happy days.

It's back. And I'm in....
http://www.hitthenorth.net

Cracking day out.

Mud-fest. Sliding all over today. Rastrick woods and Norland. Bike's feeling it, new headset and a proper strip down and service needed...
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17098533_10154608611901725_6628569263263135260_n.jpg?oh=258f3db93aad543c2ff766e807a31911&oe=596B630D

So I am slowly getting bitten by the bike bug......

The bike I had previously that "suited me why would I change it" is now soon to be replaced.......

Anyone had a spin on one of these?  Looks good for the price and I wouldn't be spending over the £1000 mark at this stage.  Any other recommendations at that price?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic … 000-45346/

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Mate bought a Calibre Bossnut last month. A lot of bike for the money. It would get my vote from those. Best full-sus you'll get for a grand.
You can get a very good hardtail at that price range. Depends what kind of riding you'll end up doing. If you're riding trails I'd go for the Calibre.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/BobRust_photos/20170305_114843.jpg
Mate's Calibre on the right at the bottom of the Norland downhill

Cheers Trav

The Calibre against the Orange looks like my son's bike against mine smile

I'm overthinking all this as usual - found this on eBay and wondered whether or not to try and get something cheaper to see how it went

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142301974138? … EBIDX%3AIT

My location dictates that I won't be out on big-boy trails too much but Swinley Forest is not a million miles away and is supposed to be OK

Lot of pivots etc in that rear suspension to go wrong/need replacing. Not a bad bike per se but if the bug hits you you'll want rid fairly soon. If you want to save money and see how it goes buy a Voodoo hardtail for £500 from Halfords. Great bike for the money

Travis Bickle wrote:

Lot of pivots etc in that rear suspension to go wrong/need replacing. Not a bad bike per se but if the bug hits you you'll want rid fairly soon. If you want to save money and see how it goes buy a Voodoo hardtail for £500 from Halfords. Great bike for the money

The complexity did bother me to be honest - I'm shite with anything like that

Hardtail maybe the way forward if I move away from the Calibre

Some MTB 'snobs' saying you need to learn to ride properly on a Hardtail before moving to full suspension - I sought of see where they're going

I think my off road riding ability is like my fighting - haven't done anything proper for a LONG time but still think I'm pretty handy!?!?  big_smile

Travis Bickle wrote:

The complexity did bother me to be honest - I'm shite with anything like that

Hardtail maybe the way forward if I move away from the Calibre

Some MTB 'snobs' saying you need to learn to ride properly on a Hardtail before moving to full suspension - I sought of see where they're going

I think my off road riding ability is like my fighting - haven't done anything proper for a LONG time but still think I'm pretty handy!?!?  big_smile

Sounds daft but you can practice bike skills in a local park or the road. Get used to moving your weight around the bike, ride on grass and see how tight you can turn. Ride off and up kerbs. Then down a couple of steps.
Probably the best advice I ever got was 'chin up'. Look ahead to where you're going. It's a leap of faith sometimes when the terrain gets techy but it works. And keep your elbows and knees bent and loose. Another good tip is just to drop your heels and see how it affects grip. Hard to put into words but try it and you'll feel it.

Got a Cannondale 29er available.....

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Has the lad had a go on that Alchemy Arktos they've got on test. Stupidly expensive but US handbuilt carbon costs.
I see Matt Studdard is riding the Hope carbon bike. They'll sell boatloads of those with the number of brand lovers they have. They're nearly as religious in their devotion as us Orange riders ;-)

He had a go on the Alchemy but couldn't give a considered opinion as it was "dwarf size". Medium, in other words. Those that did fit it said it was mint, after a good few suspension tweaks.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Medium is indeed 'dwarf size'. Can't wait to see how much the Hope frame retails at. People will be selling their kids....

Could watch this for hours.

https://twitter.com/scott_kerr/status/8 … 77985?s=09

What people? People like you?

Today, the lad has been, mostly, riding £9k's worth of RobotBikeCo's finest mountain bicycle. Mint, apparently. Bloody well should be, for that money.

CharlieG wrote:

Today, the lad has been, mostly, riding £9k's worth of RobotBikeCo's finest mountain bicycle. Mint, apparently. Bloody well should be, for that money.

£9k???  There has to be a lot of tech in that to even think justifying it

I guess £9k for a push iron is Bugatti Veyron territory for a car.....?

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
CharlieG wrote:

Mostly carbon fibre but with 3D printed Ti bits. Most expensive bike he's ridden to date. There are more expensive bikes about, believe it or not....

CharlieG wrote:
CharlieG wrote:

Mostly carbon fibre but with 3D printed Ti bits. Most expensive bike he's ridden to date. There are more expensive bikes about, believe it or not....

3D printing,  it's the way forward - another of those things that you know exists but can't quite get your head around it!

CharlieG wrote:

3D printing,  it's the way forward - another of those things that you know exists but can't quite get your head around it!

Brother-in-law uses it a lot. He's an aeronautical aerodynamicist and says the process is invaluable as you can only do so much with computer models.

Last edited by CharlieG (Thu 16 Mar 2017 11:53 am)

CharlieG wrote:
CharlieG wrote:

Brother-in-law uses it a lot. He's an aeronautical aerodynamicist and says the process is invaluable as you can only do so much with computer models.

Clay models are so last century smile

Mud, mud, mud. Cracking ride yesterday. Back wheel sliding out like Ivan Mauger....
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17309165_10154660965326725_682532633305355231_n.jpg?oh=0eb0c43dc884fd6450f6baff8f9932a8&oe=592670F7

Fell off on the last descent, tried to get off the bike as I lost it. I did. And then hit the fucking thing. Knees killing me. And my back. Fucking love it.....

Travis Bickle wrote:

Mud, mud, mud. Cracking ride yesterday. Back wheel sliding out like Ivan Mauger....
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17309165_10154660965326725_682532633305355231_n.jpg?oh=0eb0c43dc884fd6450f6baff8f9932a8&oe=592670F7

Fell off on the last descent, tried to get off the bike as I lost it. I did. And then hit the fucking thing. Knees killing me. And my back. Fucking love it.....

Good work

I actually had a dream I was doing some shit tricky down hill stuff the other night - was just a dream obviously

Must be all the pouring over eBay and FB I'm doing looking for a cheap(ish) intro bike smile