Topic: Bernard Butler

He has been a busy boy the last few months. Best part of three albums in the last few months. 

His guitar parts on Ben Watts solo albums have been class.
He wrote and produced the singer from 4non blondes . Kate something called British Road Movies, which is quite a Suede themed record, and some of it is similar.
He has also produced and played on Mark Eitzel's new one, which I have only just got.

I have always followed old Bernard's stuff as he is a great guitarist, but he was absolute shite when he went solo. An horrible weedy voice, worse than John Squire!

I still don't think he has got near his Suede stuff (even with David McCalmont), and I actually think Richard Oakes suits them better, he plays with more aggression, especially live.

If you like Weller I really recommend the Ben Watt stuff.

I am just a common breed

Re: Bernard Butler

Last album I ever bought on cassette was the Bernard Butler one. Still got it but can't remember what it sounds like.   John squire solo was terrible..  very disappointed with Ben watts last two albums.. just didn't gel with them. I also walked out of his gig at the Belgrave because I wasn't feeling it.. sorry arches but I don't hear the weller comparison

always loved this tune..BB looks and plays guitar  like a kid off the estates circa 74

The guitar - the greatest weapon ever given to the working classes.

He is good, but can come across as a bit of a cunt. Stay away from his solo stuff. Worse than John Squires!!

I am just a common breed

Fiery jack wrote:

always loved this tune..BB looks and plays guitar  like a kid off the estates circa 74

Love that. Didn't he write Duffy's first album or have I got that wrong?

Aye he did.

That's one of those magic moments right there, cuts. Magically tune.

I knew people, who knew Duffy & she did 'work with' Butler on her first album. Strange she's done nowt since.

Pick up the heaviest thing you can and carry it.

Remember seeing Duffy on Jools Holland's NYE show, great performance. She off riding her bike these days?

What people? People like you?

Possibly, either that or holidaying on a Greek Isle.

Pick up the heaviest thing you can and carry it.

Yes is a great track. A lot of Suede stuff is really good. Wish I'd been aware of them when they were on the go. Used to listen to the Duffy album with my kids, fond memories.

Suede are my favourite ever group. Does my head in how people say they were shite when butler left. For me Oakes is much better and i thought they were mad getting a school kid in. Still listen to snowblind from bloodsports. His guitar in that takes your head off.

Still butler wrote dogmanstar, but it would have been shite, coz he would have buried in guitars.

I am just a common breed

He did some cracking stuff with David McAlmont.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.