Topic: Xbox360 v PS3 v PC

Right then you consoel wizards a question for you.

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a games console for Christmas for the kids (ok actually really for me). We've had a Wii for a couple of years which I have never used but the wife does her keep fit on it and also a PS2 which gets used by the kids but is it time to get something a bit better and if so what.

My views are:-

xbox360

pros
price (£179 deal in Currys and cheaper on Amazon)
can be chipped and also in stealth mode so that Mr gates doesn't know (but you didnt hear me say that)
good graphics

cons
need to spend more for wireless connector
is it going to be replaced soon?

ps3

pros
has blueray
arguably slightly better spec (graphics resolution)

cons
cost

There is also a third option. I've got a decent 'spare' PC at home. Do I whack a £100 ATI grapghics card in that, get two wireless controller and use that as a games console.

Never been into games that much at all so any advice would be appreciated.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Re: Xbox360 v PS3 v PC

xbox360

[i]Freak out, Sugar! Come with us to Grantham[/i]

No difference between the two consoles in terms of graphics and all that.
PS3 does has blueray whcih is good if you've got a hi-def telly.
I'd recommend 360 as its £100 cheaper. Main problem is that they're still really unreliable.
I think it's sometihng like one in three 360s fuck up and need replacing. They've supposed to have improved the design but it still seems to be a problem.

The other thing is if you play online games. 360 you have to pay. PS3 is free. But 360 online set-up is much better.

I reckon both consoles have got another year and a half before the new versions come out.

Personally I wouldnt bother with a PC for games.
Very few games released on PC these days and just too much hassle. Lots of fiddling around- updating drivers and stuff.

Christmas Day will be spent with Heyho jnr playing Fifa 10 on 'his' Xbox he is getting.

Thing is it will also be spent rowing with Mrs H as she doesn't know I've bought it for him!!!!

"Well so could anyone"

Mine has xbox 360 and the online subscription. Its been the best investment. They are flakey as fuck though.

The Halo series are brilliant way of dad and lad bonding if you're that way out. Fifa is not bad.

The online stuff means he gets to play with his mates from school and you can lock it down to limit the peado access.

Make sure you have a big screen 24" min if more than one is going to play

gorefidel wrote:

Mine has xbox 360 and the online subscription. Its been the best investment. They are flakey as fuck though.

The Halo series are brilliant way of dad and lad bonding if you're that way out. Fifa is not bad.

The online stuff means he gets to play with his mates from school and you can lock it down to limit the peado access.

cheers Gore. Will check out Halo.

Have you got Sky hooked up through to?. I'm connecting to a 32" HD TV so should eb ok for games as well.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

cheers Gore. Will check out Halo.

Have you got Sky hooked up through to?. I'm connecting to a 32" HD TV so should eb ok for games as well.

No, I got a standalone HDMI screen for it for about £130 - too much conflict otherwise. They become an obsession   - so the Xbox is away from the room with the TV as he tends to shout at his mates when they are all knocking fuck out of each other on line.

Halo 1, 2, 3 and ODST are all sound. Halo wars is just another Comand and Conqer type thing. They all take ages to get through.

Halo 3 multiplayer online is ace.

Just gets a bit annoying being killed by 14 year old yank kids after while.

[i]Freak out, Sugar! Come with us to Grantham[/i]

heyho wrote:

xbox360

can be chipped and also in stealth mode so that Mr gates doesn't know (but you didnt hear me say that)

Getting mine doctored this week to use with, ahem, games from other sources now I've figured out the process and will get the new slimline Xbox 250gb once the price drops a bit more nearer Christmas for going online.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Mol wrote:
heyho wrote:

xbox360

Getting mine doctored this week to use with, ahem, games from other sources now I've figured out the process and will get the new slimline Xbox 250gb once the price drops a bit more nearer Christmas for going online.

Mines (sorry the sons) a yearold at Christmas. Consider doing a doctoring job then but despite my statement I'm not 100% sure there is a proper mod available yet that doesn't stop Microsoft blocking you from going online.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
Mol wrote:
heyho wrote:

xbox360

Mines (sorry the sons) a yearold at Christmas. Consider doing a doctoring job then but despite my statement I'm not 100% sure there is a proper mod available yet that doesn't stop Microsoft blocking you from going online.

Well, yes and no is the answer. If you get the latest stealth LT flash and the original game disc is ripped correctly you'll be fine. But, you are at the mercy of the original ripper. There is a little program you can run to check a disc to ensure it'll be safe. Also, don't play non-pal discs here or of course new releases that aren't actually out over here yet.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

I might go for the new Xbox for christmas.  But then again might not.  I don;t trust the wireless connectivity on these things so that removes one of the perks of the new box.

Just got a turtle beach headset.  Great for late night mercing as you can have it loud and not wake the SP up.

Eating tofu and hating it.

It's not just the wireless, it's the size, quietness and larger HD. Upgraded chipset too of course. I reckon the 250gb will come down to under £140 with a few free games at Christmas, already available for £190 with 3 games. Can't say I'm arsed about this new kinnect bollocks, why would I want to get off my arse and do all the moves myself? That's defeating the whole fucking point for me. Now if they did one called Sloth that involved even less effort..... big_smile

Last edited by Mol (Thu 02 Sep 2010 3:51 pm)

Mol wrote:

It's not just the wireless, it's the size, quietness and larger HD. Upgraded chipset too of course. I reckon the 250gb will come down to under £140 with a few free games at Christmas, already available for £190 with 3 games. Can't say I'm arsed about this new kinnect bollocks, why would I want to get off my arse and do all the moves myself? That's defeating the whole fucking point for me. Now if they did one called Sloth that involved even less effort..... big_smile

I could get one of the kids to do the kinnect stuff while I sat on the sofa with a beer shouting "left a bit.  jump.  right a bit....".  It could work.

The good thing about the old Xbox is that it helps keep the room warm in the winter.

Mol wrote:
heyho wrote:

xbox360

Only got round to doing this today, lost the original chap;s number. Anyway, £20 it cost and works like a charm, 5 of the newest games burnt and playing perfect. I'm told the flash will allow me online too but I'm not bothered with all that.

Last edited by Mol (Wed 23 Mar 2011 6:06 pm)

There is only one Lord and he didn't have a console.

Reply if you believe in Jesus.

My Dad used to have consul.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu137/spacecadetdave/consul1.jpg

Very late to this lark - just got a PS3 and a couple of games.

Assassins Creed
Call of Duty
The Last of Us
Batman
FIFA 14

Mineccraft & Terraria (for the kids)

Anything else I should be trying out? Mind you - these will take me a year to figure out. Too many buttons!

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

I don't know how people find time to play games.

Site stalwart.

Thinking of getting the kids (6 and 7) a PS4 slim - they don't need the 4k stuff provided by the PS4 Pro

They don't need the latest stuff at their age,  they're used to Tesco HUDL's at the moment so anything would be an upgrade!!!

What I'd ideally like to do is get the PS3 dirt cheap with dirt cheap games - would this actually be doable?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Thinking of getting the kids (6 and 7) a PS4 slim - they don't need the 4k stuff provided by the PS4 Pro

They don't need the latest stuff at their age,  they're used to Tesco HUDL's at the moment so anything would be an upgrade!!!

What I'd ideally like to do is get the PS3 dirt cheap with dirt cheap games - would this actually be doable?

Get them a Super Nintendo with a few Mario games from eBay. Will never be beaten.