Topic: London

Am in the Court of Appeal on the 25th. Should be done before lunch. Usually go to a gallery to kill time for the train (4.30pm). Any suggestions for a decent bookshop, gallery, cafe to watch the world go by? Basically, I'll want to kill 2-3 hours.
Thoughts?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: London

Chop Chop Noodle Bar at Kings Cross for  scran.  There is an exhibition area near the canal at the back of St Pancras now,  N1C I think.  You could Google what's on there.  Tennis today.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

On the Strand? Could nip over to Tate Modern, if you don't mind crowds (though not always as bad as you might think). Been meaning to go to this: http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-mo … lack-power

South Bank's good for a potter around as well (especially non-peak times)

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Cheers. I normally end up going to the National Portrait Gallery, love it in there. Will have a scan at the suggestions.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

This is where I go on a morning when I'm in the smoke on an overnighter:

http://www.oushidai.com/static/upload/2016/08/19/20160819152752000000_1_242447_28.jpg

Oasis Outdoor pool Tottenham Court Road.

endell st/ shaftsbury ave wink

Soho... Record shopping - Sounds of the Universe on Broadwick St, pick up a paper and then Bar Italia on Frith St

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

Soho... Record shopping - Sounds of the Universe on Broadwick St, pick up a paper and then Bar Italia on Frith St

This used to be the place....
http://www.mikeallencapitalradio.com/_/rsrc/1301140973354/home/groove-records/Groove%20Records%203.jpg

My mate swears by this place - never been myself

Not central but Brixton is only 15 mins on the tube

https://containerrecords.com/

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Travis Bickle wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

This used to be the place....
http://www.mikeallencapitalradio.com/_/rsrc/1301140973354/home/groove-records/Groove%20Records%203.jpg

It did. Great shop

Take off hosers ...

Da Aldo's still there. Just.

2+1

Is Sister Ray still open on Frith St?

Aim Low and miss...

It was always Berwick Street, wasn't it? But yeah, moved across the other side of the road now and a smaller size (think the original is a greetings card shop). Think the Record & Tape Exchange place is still there (though possibly under a different name).

2+1

Sister Ray is still open. No idea which st, think it was one that goes north to south.

Yes - It was Berwick St - I fucking loved going there in the 80's.

Aim Low and miss...

I always head to the Photographers Gallery in such situations.  It's now moved to just behind Oxford Street by Oxford Circus. Always something interesting on.

I haven't felt this good for an hour

Taking kids down for three days to do the tourist thing at Easter.    Doing the big museums but as I never had kids when I lived there I don't know best stuff to do.  Any ideas.  Staying in Kensington and looking forward to it.

I'm going down for an afternoon in early March to meet some friends to go on the pop.

Any suggestions for a bit of a pub crawl near Euston?  The only place that lept out was Camden and that is a bit touristy.

Thankyouplease.

Aim Low and miss...

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Taking kids down for three days to do the tourist thing at Easter.    Doing the big museums but as I never had kids when I lived there I don't know best stuff to do.  Any ideas.  Staying in Kensington and looking forward to it.

Kensington obviously good for the museums

South bank is really good for the family if a little expensive.  You could start at Westminster and have a tazz around there then cross the Thames (always a nice thing to do) and walk down by the old City Hall to the London Eye. Walking along the river from there you'll be going past festival hall and lots of street/performance artists and there's invariably some kind of other 'festival' going on that'll lift you of £30 or so - usually good fun

More walking will bring you to OXO Tower,  Tate Modern,  HMS Belfast etc - if you cross the Millenium bridge you'll be at St Paul's;  if you cross Tower bridge by London Bridge station you'll be at,  erm,  Tower of London

Also,  a bit twee but my kids love Covent Garden to see the performance artists there - Leicester Sq also good for that sort of thing but more ad hoc although does have plenty of 'mega stores' and other stuff

Something slightly different,  turn the other way at the tube and head out to Kew Gardens whic my boys love too - especially if it's OKish weather

On no circumstances be tempted to say "Let's go to Hamley's - that'll be fun".  It won't

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I'd recommend Tate Britain , loads better than modern and about a 1/10 of the people there.

danpiesley wrote:

I'm going down for an afternoon in early March to meet some friends to go on the pop.

Any suggestions for a bit of a pub crawl near Euston?  The only place that lept out was Camden and that is a bit touristy.

Thankyouplease.

Leave Euston and go down Gower Street or Southampton Row to the river , theres shedsloads of boozers along the way.

CBIT wrote:

I'd recommend Tate Britain , loads better than modern and about a 1/10 of the people there.

True, but don't expect to walk into any of the paid exhibitions.

We did that to see Hockney and the next available tickets were 6 hours later.

Binned it off.

Cheers boys, some good suggestions.  Kew especially.  I know London to a degree  it will get a tourist map and travel cards and just wear ourselves out mooching about.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Cheers boys, some good suggestions.  Kew especially.  I know London to a degree  it will get a tourist map and travel cards and just wear ourselves out mooching about.

Get oyster cards , paper tickets are twice as expensive https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

CBIT wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Get oyster cards , paper tickets are twice as expensive https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

I've got one, do I need one for wife and kids individually or can I use mine?

individual ones, though the wife can use contactless  if she has that on her bank card ? (get half price oysters for the kids)