Re: A crafty cigarette

my account is a bit like fuzzys, older brother.

my earliest memory of music started by putting my toy cars on my dads record player... usually with a record on and so scratching said record to fuck. then apparently I fell in love with the pushbike song by the mixtures. I would stick on every single and play the start of the record, then remove till I found the pushbike song. then I narrowed it down to ones with the same label, green I think. I was 3 years old.

I did have parents with good taste though, beatles, stones, kinks, tamla, Sinatra, fitzgerald, davis jnr etc... I just loved any record apparently after a while. first album I remember playing a lot was innervisions by stevie wonder... my dad had it on stereo 8 track along with simon and garfunkels greatest hits and  songs for swinging lovers.

my older brother by four years was a cool bastard but also a bit of a vicious cunt.. especially to me. I loved him but hated him, he just seemed to hate me.. any opportunity to belittle me, give me a crack or even give me a good kicking he took.

I remember one of his birthday parties downstairs in the pub.. some young bird bought him you sexy thing by hot chocolate... bastard was only 12 and he had girls all over him... played spin the bottle and hes off necking in the corner.

so he was cool, I looked up to him but he showed me no mercy.

I wouldn't dare go in his room, but then I heard some good sounds coming out of his bedroom a couple of yearslater.. turned out it was the pistols, clash and the jam.. playing football all the time, sometimes with our kid and his mates I noticed the patches on the jackets or the safety pins.. one of the lads had a jean waistcoat with a picture of sid vicious on the back... they were all buzzing off music, seemed mental on it... it seemed as important as Leeds or Liverpool.

I had to sneak in his bedroom when he was out and play these bands I kept hearing about for myself. I eventually got caught and battered.. I learned to cover my tracks but then he just seemed to know and come marching in my room accusing me and then set about me... we lived in a pub... the records weren't allowed on the jukebox by me dad and they wouldn't know our kid was kicking the shit out of me upstairs because they were working and the pub was heaving all the time.

he would do stuff like hide a match in his door casing or put a little spec of something on the carpet... little traps to let him know i'd been in. wanker!

I was already in love with the jam by 1978.. I was 10 most of the year and turned 11 September. for Christmas what did I buy him? all mod cons. figured I would buy him something I liked .

all mod cons just completely blew me away... i took a few kicks for it, but the inner sleeve with all the mod paraphernalia on it plus the best music i have ever heard just got me.

that started me being  mod and still the music obsessive i am to this day.

last year at middle school and i started messing about proper...fighting, causing trouble, messing up the uniform. the jam scrawled on every notebook and on my school bag. I will have been 12/13 and the jam meant everything to me

mrs Harrison called me in to see her after school about my behaviour.. she asked me if i was a punk... i said no miss, I'm a mod.. i felt ten feet tall when i walked out of there... loved it

1982, my parents split up, i was gutted but got a ticket for the jam at the queens hall for my birthday... incendiary gig and that was me... hooked on gigs for life...  me, me mum and our kid moved into a house.. to cheer me up, me and mum went into Bradford to buy me a new music stack... we were in a department store and looking at a big Amstrad stack... the sales assistant came over to demonstrate it... he puts on radio 1 just as they announced the jam were splitting up... i was absolutely knocked for six... walked out the shop in shock... went home and cried like a fuckin baby... how could weller do that???!!

i still have the copy of all mod cons i bought our kid for Christmas... i took it back a few years after and i finally brayed him in 1993 when i was 25

Last edited by scootay (Tue 22 Aug 2017 9:08 pm)

good that

I remember my mate calling for me for school going on about see The Jam last night on Top of The Pops with their new single E 2 Right 4. Like Battleship's coordinates.

Site stalwart.

Good read that Scootay.

My Dad used to sing "Eating Trifles" whenever Eton Rifles was played in our house. Nobber.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Good read that Scootay.

My Dad used to sing "Eating Trifles" whenever Eton Rifles was played in our house. Nobber.

Fuzzy you bastard - I'll be doing that myself from now on!!!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Good read that Scootay.

100% full on "Dad" shenanigans that innit.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Good read that Scootay.

100% full on "Dad" shenanigans that innit.

Deffo

I'm already guilty of plenty of others:

"You make a better door than window" as one of my kids walks in front of the telly

"It's like Blackpool bloody illuminations in here" as I walk in the house and multiple lights are on

"what did he/she die of daddy?" "Lack of breath son"

Type thing

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I'm full of them. Never thought I would be until I became a dad then something just kicks in. My 6 year old still thinks i'm funny but he won't for long smile

A good read