Topic: Tuscany - Castellina in Chianti

Anyone been to this part of the world.

I'm staying in between Florence, Sienna and San Gimignano.

Looking for cracking restaurants interesting cafe bars and cool shops in either Florence or Sienna.

KOTS? Didn't you do a grand tour round Italy recently.

Re: Tuscany - Castellina in Chianti

We went to a place called Regello last year which isn't a million miles away from there. Really is very beautiful.
No real recommendations for specific restaurants but found that nearly all the small restaurants/trattorias in the little of big towns are great. Found that they weren't as good in Florence and Sienna but that might be not knowing where to look, obviously avoid around the main squares etc unless you want to get robbed. The weirdest thing I tried was bruschetta con lardo di colonnata, which is bruschetta with raw pork fat on and was frankly weird.
Try the ice cream that you see everywhere too, the displays and taste are amazing.
If you've got a car then there are designer outlets around that are probably worth a look.
We went to this one;

Via Europa 8, localita Leccio, 50066 Regello.
18 km south from Florence.

It's got Gucci, Fendi, Stella McCartney, Gucci, YSL, Y3, Armani. I didn't really rate it myself but the SP liked it and it's not surprising really looking at the brands.

There's also a Prada factory outlet that we looked for but got completely lost:

Pellettieri d'Italia, Localita' Levanella, 68A, 52025 Montevarchi.

I think there is a CP/Stone Island factory in Modena but that is a bit of a slog tbh.

TheHumanDynamo wrote:

We went to a place called Regello last year which isn't a million miles away from there. Really is very beautiful.
No real recommendations for specific restaurants but found that nearly all the small restaurants/trattorias in the little of big towns are great. Found that they weren't as good in Florence and Sienna but that might be not knowing where to look, obviously avoid around the main squares etc unless you want to get robbed. The weirdest thing I tried was bruschetta con lardo di colonnata, which is bruschetta with raw pork fat on and was frankly weird.
Try the ice cream that you see everywhere too, the displays and taste are amazing.
If you've got a car then there are designer outlets around that are probably worth a look.
We went to this one;

Via Europa 8, localita Leccio, 50066 Regello.
18 km south from Florence.

It's got Gucci, Fendi, Stella McCartney, Gucci, YSL, Y3, Armani. I didn't really rate it myself but the SP liked it and it's not surprising really looking at the brands.

There's also a Prada factory outlet that we looked for but got completely lost:

Pellettieri d'Italia, Localita' Levanella, 68A, 52025 Montevarchi.

I think there is a CP/Stone Island factory in Modena but that is a bit of a slog tbh.

Top work. Retail outlets wasnt expecting that.

Aye, we did, Roma, Firenze, Empoli and all through Tuscany.

We stayed in Vinci, the home town of Leonardo, it's in Empoli district half-way between Firenze and Pisa.

Rented this place out http://www.villadianella.it/ so we didn't get out that much what with them having loads of wine in.

To be honest we didn't find a bad restaurant on the whole trip.

suck'ahs to the side I know you hate my 98'

Courtesy of Fulmine when I asked about the region cool cool cool

Hope he doesn't mind me posting this.. wink

The big label posh shops are on and arond via de’ Fossi, or there are areas like Santo Spirito (over the river) that has some nice smaller places (good little bars and places to eat too, the Santo Bevitore is great, on via Santo Spirito). San Niccolo, the other side of the Ponte Vecchio from Santo Spirito (but on the same side of the river) is another good spot for bar-hopping, there are a couple of places around via dei Renai (Zoe, High Bar) and Piazza G Poggi (can’t remember any of the frickin’ names, sorry). le Volpi e l'Uva on Piazza dei Rossi, which is a tiny square next to Piazza Santa Felicita, is great, really small and well worth seeking out. It’s a good idea to let yourself get lost around back streets in the centro, it’s very easy to find yourself back on the main drags again. Try and avoid having a coffee/beer out on one of the larger piazzas like Repubblica or della Signoria. My sister was over recently with her five-year-old, who insisted on sitting at a table. Cost 21 euros for two cups of tea and a coke. Be warned, Florence is the city of the five-euro pint and some of the pubs here are absolute stinkers. The Fiddler’s Elbow, on Piazza Santa Maria Novella, is the best (slightly cheaper ale, too). I have to be honest, I spend most of my time sitting in scruffy bars necking back glasses of red wine. They love their vino here, it’s like Bordeaux or somewhere, very proud of their local grapes. A really famous old place is the Cantinetta dei Verrazzano, on via dei Tavolini (just off via de Calzaiuoli, runs parallel with piazza della Repubblica. If you want to go somewhere to eat which isn’t too expensive and not full of braying Brits, Gastone, on via Matteo Palmieri, is great. If the lovely Natalia’s in that night, say you’re a mate of [fulmine's]. I dunno, she might slip you an extra glass of wine or something. Also the Golden View (sounds like a Chinese, but isn’t), which is just by the Ponte Vecchio, overlooking river. Bit pricey, but can be great at night.

I love Livorno, a real shit-kicking, hairy-arsed port. Very Tuscan, everyone loves a good row (politics, football) over a glass of red wine and a nice bit of cake. And they’ve just been promoted back to Serie A. Can’t remember any names, but there’s an area where the canal/river winds it way through the centro and there are all these bars dotted around, it’s great at night, you can’t go wrong wherever you end up, really. It’s a very small centre so difficult to get yourself lost. Shops are shite, mind. Very few Brits-in-sandals too (whenever I’m in the UK, I fly back to Pisa from Gatwick on this BA flight; like the middle-class-wanker-express... one of the few pleasures is when they all gaze out of the window and go ‘oooh, Tuscany...oh... oh Christ, what’s that?’ as they look down on Livorno’s industrial plants and belching fumes).

If you want the full-on Chianti experience (and it can be breathtaking stuff) all rolling hills and sun-kissed vineyards ,try a visit to San Gimignano and surrounding area. I think there’s a regular train service over to there, or a car/bus trip would be nice. Castellina, down towards Siena, is another nice little spot; all you can really do in places like these is sit and get slowly sloshed while watching the world go by. Which is pretty much what you want from a holiday, I suppose.

Places like Siena and Prato (which is so close to Florence it’s pretty much part of the city) are very nice, but bit quiet. They tend to get over-run by tourists at this time of year, too. Pisa’s a bit bloody dull, really and seems to be totally based around the tower. Infuriating, any time you ask a local something they’ll just immediately point the way down the road towards the tower, assuming that’s what you’re after. Lucca, out of all the small historic towns, is probably the one to go for. Gorgeous centre and chatty locals, etc. Not too far from Florence, either. Viareggio, which is about 15 minutes from Pisa, is a typical seaside town, not a great beach though. Very odd mix of seaside shops selling plastic footballs, etc bang next door to some exclusive Prada store, etc. Good place if you like boats too, big old marina. Had some not-bad fish and chips there once.

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 07 Jul 2010 8:36 am)

suck'ahs to the side I know you hate my 98'

Cheers B.

Well pleased I'm staying near Castellina on a farm cottage on a vineyard. Fuck me, thats bad ju ju. I'm gonna come back like the bloke off dune with the red stained mush. Fuck it! It is my honey moon.

We did San Gimignano about 10 years ago. Well we stopped for a wander and a bite to eat. Lovely, but very very tourist. Siena is gorgeous and well preserved. The joys of massive depopulation in the middle ages. But really nice.

Not sure if its on your route, but we stayed near Perugia (which is Umbria but brilliant and great shopping for the wife and was just fabulous place sad ). Arrezo was fantastic as well and had great time. In fact apart from the big lake which was a bit swampy and Assisi which was a Catholic theme park, complete with papal pizza - it was all just really good. You'll like it.

Find me a villa for under 110k while you are there. Don't mind work doing, must be remote and at least 1/2 acre of land.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Mol wrote:

Find me a villa for under 110k while you are there. Don't mind work doing, must be remote and at least 1/2 acre of land.

Why don't we go halves? Been trying to talk my brother into it.

You'll do well in Tuscany at that price, but do have a look while you are there.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Ah, the lovely Natalia. She's left that bar now. Took her out for a drink and half an hour in she started yapping away about her boyfriend. Why do Italian women always do that? I've bought you drink. There's a transaction taking place.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

placidcasual wrote:

Anyone been to this part of the world.

I'm staying in between Florence, Sienna and San Gimignano.

Looking for cracking restaurants interesting cafe bars and cool shops in either Florence or Sienna.

KOTS? Didn't you do a grand tour round Italy recently.

You may as well wear an SS uniform and carry a cannister of patio-gaz around in case you meet some Jews.

Get darn sarf. Birds are loads muckier and the food is better. Everything is cheaper too.

Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity

Ad's Website

In Lucca now. Wide awake after falling asleep on the sofa after a cracking meal.

Some nice clobber in the shops. If i wasn't a tight bastard, I'd chuck all my clothes out and start again.