Re: Cod v Haddock

Tolley wrote:
Rudi wrote:

YMAT's referral to Hull as "Codhead Land" on another thread made me chuckle, because you won't find a fish shop in this city selling cod. I was with a writer up from London on Saturday and he expressed the desire for some fish and chips so I took him to my local, Cave Street Fisheries. He asked for cod and chips and was met with a blank stare.

Cave Street Fisheries is a belter, always seemed to be busy. Some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. I used to be a regular when my daughter lived nearby.

They do a "fish special" - fish, chips and peas, gravy or curry sauce for £3.50 or so. (One for you Reggie.) The fish they use for the special is hake, which is lovely, and is very popular in Spain. However, I seemed to be the only person who ever ordered it, despite it being a lot cheaper than the haddock.

In addition to chip spice, another popular local delicacy is the patty, which appears to be a deep fried mixture of mashed potatoes and fish.

A word of warning - the default appears to be for the fish to be fried with the skin on. If you want the skin off, you need to tell them beforehand.

Prefer proper fish cakes (spud / fish / spud) in batter to those parsley fuckers.  Wretch.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

"If fish were human, cod would go to the gym, eat health food and drive a Porsche, while pollack would be a junk food-eating couch potato."

Last edited by Misura (Mon 09 Oct 2017 2:01 pm)

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Tolley wrote:
Rudi wrote:

YMAT's referral to Hull as "Codhead Land" on another thread made me chuckle, because you won't find a fish shop in this city selling cod. I was with a writer up from London on Saturday and he expressed the desire for some fish and chips so I took him to my local, Cave Street Fisheries. He asked for cod and chips and was met with a blank stare.

Cave Street Fisheries is a belter, always seemed to be busy. Some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. I used to be a regular when my daughter lived nearby.

They do a "fish special" - fish, chips and peas, gravy or curry sauce for £3.50 or so. (One for you Reggie.) The fish they use for the special is hake, which is lovely, and is very popular in Spain. However, I seemed to be the only person who ever ordered it, despite it being a lot cheaper than the haddock.

In addition to chip spice, another popular local delicacy is the patty, which appears to be a deep fried mixture of mashed potatoes and fish.

A word of warning - the default appears to be for the fish to be fried with the skin on. If you want the skin off, you need to tell them beforehand.

Prefer proper fish cakes (spud / fish / spud) in batter to those parsley fuckers.  Wretch.

A pattie is mashed potato and sage, deep fried. No parsley, no fish, no compromise, no flim-flam, no sell-out.

And fish is better with the skin on cos it keeps the fish moist.

Here endeth the lesson.

Misura wrote:

"If fish were human, cod would go to the gym, eat health food and drive a Porsche, while pollack would be a junk food-eating couch potato."

Cod has got a top knot and a beard. Pollock has a number 4 all over - done at home by his sen.

Rudi wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Tolley wrote:

A pattie is mashed potato and sage, deep fried. No parsley, no fish, no compromise, no flim-flam, no sell-out.

And fish is better with the skin on cos it keeps the fish moist.

Here endeth the lesson.

Any fiddle-faddle?  No, thought not.  As we were.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

There is a chippy i won't go to because the chip portions are stupidly large, £2.20.

They won't do a smaller one at a reduced price so fuck em.

Smutty Lips wrote:

There is a chippy i won't go to because the chip portions are stupidly large, £2.20.

They won't do a smaller one at a reduced price so fuck em.

I generally order 2 x fish and 1 x bag of chips from my local chippie - about right portion size then

Mind,  it's in Twickneham so I have to ask specifically for haddock and,  even then,  they don't usually have it.  And the dirty bastards leave the skin on too

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.