Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Seem to remember him putting on a load of reggae nights with sound systems travelling from all over. Boro's never been the first place that would spring to mind for a bit of dub like wink

Around the time I was there ('87 to '91) there was a great club scene going on.  The Havana,  although not my scene,  was always rammed with people and rumour had it that folk came from all over the place to sample it's delights.

I was more of a Belmont and Blaises bloke to be honest with the occasional trip to Havana's on a Tuesday night after spirits promotion in the Union bar....

Funny how this thread has popped up. Someone was telling me at the weekend that some of the boro v blades dislike comes from this place.  There was always a sheffield crowd there, and some were taxed/slapped. A good club, but very moody by all accounts, with a strong boro hooligan presence. The dj followed boro as well. Also Lee D's favourite hang out, the legendary local hardman. Any way, Lee D got knifed to death in the early 90's, the lad that got off with it got knifed in rome when they played roma and the dj died in suspicious circumstances recently in lebanon, having served time for being involved in the murder of a bloke who got put through a first floor window in a brothel.

What is the difference between pop and rock n' roll? You might get fucked.

I did hear rumours of a chaotic Tight Fit gig at our local legion when they refused to play The Lion sleeps tonight!

A wimaway

Some great stories on this thread

Punk gigs late 70s/early 80s had an air of menace a lot of the time.

Bradford St Georges Hall often had NF types turning up, often from Leeds. I seem to recall Buzzcocks in 78 saw some nazis kick off, then get a good kicking.

Middlesbrough Rock Garden was notorious. The gig guides in Sounds and NME used to put a note in warning people following bands to avoid it. Went to a gig there in the early 80s with some mates from the Boro. Can't remember the name of the band, but half-way through a load of skinheads stood on a table in front of the stage, giving nazi salutes at the band, who looked understandably nervous. We decided to leave and go to a pub. Later, as we walked past the Rock Garden, we spotted said skinheads chinning the band and nicking their gear. We thought about stepping in, but there was a lot of em.....

Going to see the pre-cursor of Bradford's Southern Death Cult, VIolation, was often entertaining. Never more so than at a gig in Huddersfield (1979?) when we were in a tiny club, couple of songs in, and some local type hit one of the travelling Bradford fans with a studded belt. At this point the singer, Mick Brady, who looked like an extra from the Munsters, announced that 'Bradford lot will take on Huddersfield lot'.  Before we could say WTF, it all kicked off and we had to make a dash for it. Running through the streets of Huddersfield, people of all types joined in the chase as we headed towards the bus station. A load of us piled on the Bradford bus and the driver quickly shut the door. The fighting carried on all round the bus while the driver waited patiently to keep to his timetable. Frigging mental.

A few years later, a band of mates from North Devon, the Cult Maniax, contacted us to say they were playing in Huddersfield. We tried to talk them out of it, but the place was already booked. Long story short, a full-scale riot broke out during the first song. Blood and broken glass everywhere. The band described the scene later as a hail of pint glasses hit the stage, with band members jumping into the crowd to whack skinheads over the head with mic stands. I remember walking in after the place had just emptied and it looked like a scene from a wild west bar fight. What made it worse was that a load of the people who'd come with the band had to go to the infirmary while the rest of us headed back to Bradford. They didn't come back for hours, and when they did they told us that a load of the local skins were in A&E too, and piled in to the Devon punks. Mayhem ensued, again.
Before the gig, we were in a pub across the road from the venue, when some of the skins with 'cut here' tattoos on their necks, were engaging our Devonian friends in conversation and they turned to me to say how friendly people were. When I told them they weren't being  friendly, but just wanted to know where they were from so they had an excuse to kick their heads in, they laughed and said I was too cynical....

Once went with Southern Death Cult to Colwyn Bay, supporting Theatre of Hate, at a gig on the end of a pier. The place became hostile quite quickly with loads of local glue sniffers, actually sniffing it from the tin, trying to get on stage. After the gig they wouldn't leave and we had to get 'tooled up' with whatever was available, mainly mic stands, and prepare to fight our way out. Luckily two local coppers turned up and encouraged the glue sniffers to sniff elsewhere.

Palm Cove club, Bradford, could get a bit hairy Was there once when some bloke got his back slashed from one shoulder to the opposite hip. Cut right through a donkey jacket, denim jacket and t-shirt. Blood all over the shop.

Halcyon days.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Dead Kennedys Leicester Uni 1984
Millions of Dead Cops supporting
Full of skinheads who before the support were on kept setting off the fire alarm so hall evacuated and fire engines called
Dead Kennedys finally got on stage massive stage invasion drummer got stabbed gig abandoned
Dead Kennedys on stage for approximately 2 minutes only time I ever got to see them

ambition beyond ability

I must apologise to anyone who was at cappers in Shipley Christmas 89 watching the beat and bad manners... it was me who started the riot. I did a flying headbutt off the stage on a big roadie who was after me.. hospitalising him in the process, pretty nasty ...full on western brawl ensued with skinheads etc.  I escaped unscathed apart from a huge lump on my forehead

wogga wrote:

Dead Kennedys Leicester Uni 1984
Millions of Dead Cops supporting
Full of skinheads who before the support were on kept setting off the fire alarm so hall evacuated and fire engines called
Dead Kennedys finally got on stage massive stage invasion drummer got stabbed gig abandoned
Dead Kennedys on stage for approximately 2 minutes only time I ever got to see them

They are playing at the moment.  Have a date tonight in Dover.

https://www.thebookinghall.com/events/2 … hall-dover

However that sounds an ace night back in 1984.

I saw The Fields of The Nephilim once, that was incredibly violent.  They had a load of crusties that were following them about on tour and had their mosh pit and anyone who dared venture near it had the shit kicked out of them.  I tried and failed to gain entry a few times but after repeated blows to my head I gave up.

Aim Low and miss...