Topic: A book about football....

...for an 8-year old?
Anyone ever bought one for their kids?
Something about the rules but also about the Leagues etc, maybe some history. I've got a really basic one for younger kids but she's grown out of that.
Would like something she can keep going back to. She reads really well so something aimed at older kids would probably be okay.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: A book about football....

I got my lad what was News of The World annual at the start of last season. The stubby little book. My dad always used to get one. Not sure who the sponsor is now but it's the same format. All the squads and stats from the previous seasons plus historical records, cup wins etc. I used to get the Rothmans one, I think Sky may do this now.

How about getting her a few mags for a start. Whatever the equivalent of Shoot or Match is now.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:

I got my lad what was News of The World annual at the start of last season. The stubby little book. My dad always used to get one. Not sure who the sponsor is now but it's the same format. All the squads and stats from the previous seasons plus historical records, cup wins etc. I used to get the Rothmans one, I think Sky may do this now.

How about getting her a few mags for a start. Whatever the equivalent of Shoot or Match is now.

You're a season ticket holder aren't you?
What did you think of Brentford tonight?

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

I got my kids books about football and cricket in fiction format. Not specific about rules but kept them into reading as subject matter was relevant to their interests.

Will have a look at the titles in a bit

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Harvest wrote:

I thought they deserved their win.

Harvest wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Harvest wrote:

I thought they deserved their win.

Sorry to hear that.
I agree.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Travis Bickle wrote:

...for an 8-year old?
Anyone ever bought one for their kids?
Something about the rules but also about the Leagues etc, maybe some history. I've got a really basic one for younger kids but she's grown out of that.
Would like something she can keep going back to. She reads really well so something aimed at older kids would probably be okay.

We used to get our lad the Shoot and Match annuals. I think there is a Match of the Day one as well.

He still looks at them now at 11.

I have never looked at them in any detail but they don't seem to be too intensive. It seems to be more the stuff Ronaldo does to look cool rather than the Fairs Cup results 67/68.

If he wets his face before today's big clash with BAC/EE to look cool I'll not be pleased.

I remember the statistically rich Rothmans Football books when I was of primary school age.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Rothmans - The Bible.

Cheers for the suggestions. Got me thinking about books I had as a kid. Anyone else have this?
https://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/6636771-M.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Cheers for the suggestions. Got me thinking about books I had as a kid. Anyone else have this?
https://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/6636771-M.jpg

Remember the tv programme, Leeds were heavily involved in it at Derby I think.

Yep, nicked it from the school library.

Harvest wrote:

Yep, nicked it from the school library.

Snap, different libray obviously.

Had the map of London with the support for the teams with colours, by geographical area.

This:
http://web.comhem.se/norre/football_map.gif

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Had a guide to fans as well with different gear on. And a painting some bloke did of some 'hooligans' on a train looking out of the window

Get her collecting Panini stickers for next year's World Cup.

Know help . When I was a kid, Charles Buchan’s soccer gift book and Topical Times every Christmas.

To stand aside is to take sides.

I was given this as my MAIN xmas present one year. Fewming...

Used to sit on the first few steps shining it onto the back of the front door.

http://s3.spanglefish.com/s/4458/pictures/big/proj.jpg