Re: Villa

Needed that second goal when we were on top. How Ekuban missed that cross at 1-0 mystifies me.

Good game, would have got beat 5 weeks ago.

First half was quality

Battled well, Villa came back strong second half. They'll be pleased with a point.

Few mins from the end, bloke in the exec boxes behind us came out handing out programmes, chocs, cakes etc that would otherwise get chucked. Said to my lad, 'come with me, I want you to meet someone' and asked me for my phone. I go looking for him a couple of mins later. He'd had his pic taken with Steve Hodge and I'm getting free beers thrust at which I can't have as I'm still on these tablets. All this is going on while I'm trying to keep an eye on the dying stages of the match. They were good lads, if a bit pissed.

Copied and pasted on most dying forums.

I like Ekuban , maybe saw the ball late for that chance. He won a lot ball in the air and a couple of nice flick ons. I’d of kept him on for the 90 minuets. A lot of managers sub the same players every game around the same time , cannot do a players confidence any good , especially when they are doing well in a game.
Should of put it to bed by half time . We gave away too many free kicks and picked up yellow cards for poor discipline. At least we didn’t loose.

To stand aside is to take sides.

You can see we've been told to close teams down early. Leads to mistakes from defenders, corners, throws etc.

Harvest wrote:

Battled well, Villa came back strong second half. They'll be pleased with a point.

Few mins from the end, bloke in the exec boxes behind us came out handing out programmes, chocs, cakes etc that would otherwise get chucked. Said to my lad, 'come with me, I want you to meet someone' and asked me for my phone. I go looking for him a couple of mins later. He'd had his pic taken with Steve Hodge and I'm getting free beers thrust at which I can't have as I'm still on these tablets. All this is going on while I'm trying to keep an eye on the dying stages of the match. They were good lads, if a bit pissed.

Nice for the lad , unlucky for you ,not able to sample a few free beers.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Villa were fucking awful!
Struggling to work out how they got a point from that to be honest!
"Leeds are falling apart again" but yeah let's celebrate at the end like we've won the Champions League!

We look to have turned a corner (kiss of death)!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Like most on here and other fans I was approaching this match with trepidation and uncertainty. At the end I left feeling confidant and encouraged by the teams resolve.

Philips and Vieira are fast becoming a solid dependable midfield pairing. I thought they complement each other really well and act as the foundation for Hernandez and Saiz to create mayhem. Which they did with abandon until Hernandez went off.

For what its worth here's my view on the individuals performances.

Widewald 7 - Much more assured and confident, made a superb save after Ayling mis timed a tackle. Stood up tall and made himself big and the goal small at an angle. Cant really fault him for the goal, was a perfect finish from Lansbury.

Ayling 7 - Much improved performance apart from one or two last ditchers. He was assured and cool on the ball and often set up attacks, got tied up on the edge of their box in possesion a couple of times but well happy with him. He's been superb since his move from Bristol. Man Buns are shit though.

Cooper 7 - Growing on me, still not Bartley but probably unfair to compare. Was strong aggressive and well timed in the air, brought ball out of defence well with better distribution.

Jansson 8 - Just quality, timing, aggression, composure, touch, in the air the whole package. Maybe shouldn't have dived in for their goal. Probably best defender and the player we've had that looks a cut above our level since Rio Ferdinand. Think of some of the utter shite we've had in that position in between them two....

Beradi 7 - Defended really well against Snodgrass as my mate remarked. He looks good against players with no pace.

Saiz 8 - What a talent, looked poor in 2nd half in comparison to 1st, they got into him and he lost his counter part, tired later on. Wish he stop with he dramatics on decisions.

Vieira 8 - I love him. Just seems to be in the right place at the right time. He did give the ball away twice I think but I can see prem clubs queuing up for him in January and Summer.

Phillips 8 - Really growing into that role. Same as Vieira. I dont understand why folk slag him so much. Solid, good defender gets about well. Good in the air.

Alioski 6 - Not enough shots for me, and needed to attack Hutton more when he swapped sides. Did well coming back. I didnt really focus on him and his input into the game. The highlight was a lad telling me that he's slipping Emma Jane from LUTV one apparently. Should get a 9.9 for that alone.

Hernandez 9 - Different class. His dead ball delivery is inch perfect. Especially for Jansson running into the box.

Ekuban 7 - impressed with work rate last night, wish he'd cored that cross from Saiz. Fast and dangerous and intelligent with the ball. Probably needs a run of games and some scuffy finishes to get the box striker play.

Roofe 7 - did ok when came on. Some good touches but difficult for him to be Hernandez as a like for like replacement.

Better resolve and gone is the capitulation it seems.

Jimmy Savile was fingering Steve Bruce last night. Good to see a noisy and full away end.

In hindsight and with a sober head on,they were the better team second half but without really troubling our keeper (who seems to have improved marginally).
Turning point was Hernandez going off as we lost a good deal of creativity and ball retention after that.
More so given that Bruce had done his homework and ensured Saiz was crowded out every time he got possession.
Christensen made a valid point after when he alluded to the fact that if you don't win the game it's important not to lose it either.
Highlighted by the fact we seemed to be playing it safe last ten minutes or so.

The coverage on Sky was fucking scandalous by the way.
Pre match was saturated with Villa clips and interviews then you had that ex Villa weasel Lee Hendrie in the studio telling us all what an "absolutely massive"club "The Villa" are!!

Yippee aye yay my arse!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Viera gets better. There must be Premier League clubs sniffing round him.

He's no Steve Hodge though.

Harvest wrote:

Viera gets better. There must be Premier League clubs sniffing round him.

Aye.
Different class,particularly first half.

placidcasual wrote:

Ayling 7

Cooper 7

Ayling 7-8 serious errors that went unpunished, Cooper blatantly at fault for the goal by first standing off then not reaching Lansbury giving him the freedom of the pitch. It's a funny old game Saint.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Mol wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Ayling 7

Cooper 7

Ayling 7-8 serious errors that went unpunished, Cooper blatantly at fault for the goal by first standing off then not reaching Lansbury giving him the freedom of the pitch. It's a funny old game Saint.

It's an interesting psychological thing. The match was the match but folk interpret different things based on their own opinion and outlook. I was a good mood on Friday and not expecting much form the game so came away with a positive feeling about the game and the players performance.

Harvest wrote:

He's no Steve Hodge though.

Even Steve Hodge was no Steve Hodge.

placidcasual wrote:
Mol wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Ayling 7

Cooper 7

It's an interesting psychological thing. The match was the match but folk interpret different things based on their own opinion and outlook. I was a good mood on Friday and not expecting much form the game so came away with a positive feeling about the game and the players performance.

Aye, ask ten people and few will agree. Ayling was fucking baba though and has been defensively all season by his own standards. Cooper is, well, Cooper. Fuck knows what Pennington must think.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Ayling defo not as good as last season. Cooper does his best

I think we'd have won if Hernandez hadn't gone off. He was pulling the strings to some extent. Not the same after Roofe came on.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

I read something this weekend about our first half statistics being the best in the league along with Wolves. Of course, playing at high pressing/ high tempo for ONLY 45 minutes or so is dangerous as we have seen. If, as they do, players are fucked after 60 minutes, then you either have to have supremely fit players to get through it, or supremely good players. Having neither leaves you in trouble unless you get get a decent goal cushion, one goal is not a cushion as we know. TC says he is learning, thats good I suppose, as long as that is not simply a soundbite. 1-1 against a weakened Villa side at home is not a raging success by any means, but at least we didn't lose.

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'