Topic: Monobrow brothers

Just listening to 6 music and they played Noel's 'She taught me how to fly' - really great track, one of the best things I've heard him do.

Also gave the other one's album a listen. well worth an hour of anyone's time.

Take off hosers ...

Re: Monobrow brothers

Is that the track that I keep hearing everywhere? You wouldn't know but I guess it is. Like a cross between Ricky Martin, The Move, Sweet, Bowie's Diamond Dogs. Strangely addictive but very Ken Bruce.

Copied and pasted on most dying forums.

Harvest wrote:

Is that the track that I keep hearing everywhere? You wouldn't know but I guess it is. Like a cross between Ricky Martin, The Move, Sweet, Bowie's Diamond Dogs. Strangely addictive but very Ken Bruce.

I think that's 'Magic Mountain'.

I like him, more so as he's got older. He's a smart bloke, and he's improved with age. For all his faults, he knows how to write a chorus.

I never really bought into the oasis-mania thing, and thought the 1st album, although having youthful energy was limited. I preferred the 2nd & the b sides. I always thought he consciously/sub consciously wrote two types of song, one for him & one for liam, the better being for himself. He's never truly honest about when songs were actually written, but i think he'd of being better banging out the first two albums as oasis, taken a break, released the b sides as a solo album, had a break and then come back and then combining the best of the last 5 albums into 2 and calling it a day.

His younger brother on the other hand roll Deep down i think he's a good lad, but he tries too hard at being liam gallagher, he's turning into a tribute act to himself. Saying that there's still a massive market for it/him, he sold out 40k at finsbury park in a few minutes and 50k at old trafford cricket ground. And that's on the back on 9 sell out arena gigs. Big, big numbers.

Opinion. Size. Age. Shape. Colour. Origin. Material. Purpose. Noun.

I think he's a prick, to be honest. A ham-fisted plagiarist in love with the sound of his own voice.

Liam's funny though.

I'm working out that Noel's becoming more of a dickhead and Liam is what he is.

An honest dickhead that gets more likeable.

This is nothing to do with their music though. That Noel track that rips of She Bangs by Ricky Martin shut the coffin for me.

I worked out they were a pair of dicks around 94 .... Boring twats wearing Man City shirts and giving it large in Camden, though people in glasshouses ...
Musically, Definitely Maybe has stood the test of time. 20 years of dross and now some decent stuff

watching Noel and his band made me think of Status Quo, catchy mind

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Wed 06 Dec 2017 8:16 pm)

Take off hosers ...

I'm getting more mellow in my old age. That period between spring 1994 and late summer 1997, was mad. Probably never see the like of it again. Every single they released in that period went a least gold. They could've sold 3m tickets for knebworth & loch lomond gigs alone.

You could argue that they rode a wave of something that was already happening, but by the summer of '96 it seemed like the majority of the male population of the uk from northampton upwards was dressed like, walked like & spoke like liam gallagher. During 88' - '90 madchester, which seemed a big movement to me was no where near that.

It must effect you. Being that big. It's like how your ears rings after a gig, your soul must still vibrate from that level of fame 20 yrs after.

Opinion. Size. Age. Shape. Colour. Origin. Material. Purpose. Noun.

Loch Lomond was a great gig and you could get to the bar big_smile . As good as they were, they were far from being the best band on the bill.

Take off hosers ...

Don't know either of them but after seeing Liam on Gogglebox cant help thinking he's a very simple minded bloke who got very lucky. Ultimately he is a pastiche of himself. Like a Panto rock star

I love this tune played very loud in the car.

Last edited by placidcasual (Wed 06 Dec 2017 11:28 pm)

Good topic.

I remember seeing them in Preston supporting Verve at the mill an ace venue about 1993?

They impressed me then & i was taken with them all the way the Knebworth & they were good times & they swept everything away for me, even my beloved Suede who said they looked like electricians.

But the later stuff was shite, there is a good album in Be Here Now but not the one they released which was proper shite. I defected to Doves then. I think i have all there albums & i went to their last tour for old times sake.

Yes Liam is a thick cunt, but he is quite funny. A cliche though.

Noel is a bit cleverer & a good interviewer. He is a tallented bloke, but his music is too pedestrian for me, but he is a good songwriter. Not Mick Head standard though.

I wont be buying any of their latest stuff, not that it is terribly bad but there is better stuff about, more to my current tastes.

I am just a common breed

Good first album, patchy second. Saw them at Maine Road. And that's all I've got to say about Oasis.

Saw them at The Irish Centre. They stood out then (I'd got a payout for a burglary that day so it's all a bit hazy). Never saw them after that. Some good songs but were very much right place, right time.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Oasis always reminds of of Quebec City.  Me and few mates were doing a bit of a tour of Ontario and Quebec in summer 1995 and we found a cracking little Video Duke Box bar type thing.  We'd previously liked Oasis but not many people in Quebec City were aware of them - we played a tonne of their stuff on the dukey and dragged in LOADS of other punters,  so much so that the owner was giving us free beers interspersed with the ones we were buying

Went along to Knebworth and hated it to be honest - start of my falling out of love with them.  The Prodigy blew them away that day and i moved on to Supergrass and Kasabian

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

https://twitter.com/Def_Leaphard/status … 5104955392