Re: Suggestions for holiday reading.

Almost caved  but the Kindle release date's been put back. Book it is.

Always felt The Fight was more about Mailer than the fight itself.

I've said this before but the best boxing book is Sting Like a Bee by Jose Torres, Puerto Rican light heavyweight champ who sparred with Ali, foreword by Mailer. Torres writes about Ali's and his own career, the psychology of the ring is fascinating. Great insights into some of Ali's major fights.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Harvest wrote:

You read any Dickens? Got Bleak House on my list. Big list. Great Gatsby? To Kill a Mockingbird?Of Mice and Men? Loved Grapes of Wrath. If you like Orwell, Coming up For Air is a great choice also Down and Out in Paris and London. On The Road and Catcher in The Rye should be on any list I feel. The Corrections for more of a modern classic.

On the Road is ordered.  Always meant to read that one but never got round to it. 

Tried to read Barnaby Rudge last year and almost tore my own eyes out.  Can't see how Dickens got so popular.  Mind you, the scottish have got Robbie Burns and he's a fucking shocking poet.

Eating tofu and hating it.

There's a great non fiction book about fishing for pike called Blood Knots. Starts off about fishing but then meanders all over the shop.

Rudi wrote:

There's a great non fiction book about fishing for pike called Blood Knots. Starts off about fishing but then meanders all over the shop.

How big is it?

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

fulmine wrote:
Rudi wrote:

How big is it?

I only had it in me hand for a second, but it was THIS BIG, honest. Never seen owt like it.

Bought Mobile Library today. Will report back...

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Also ordered The Motorcycle Diaries by someone called Ernesto Guevera.  Sounds like a right girls name - bet he never amounted to much.

Also ordered "Coming out as a Bowie fan" by some old random from Armley.

And I've stolen Rudi's list as my list of required reading for 2015.

(Editted to say I'm grabbing a copy of that Truman Capote murder mystery thing)

Last edited by spacecadetdave (Fri 16 Jan 2015 9:26 pm)

Eating tofu and hating it.

The Motorcycle Diaries

I've read the film.

They gave me it early in the local book shop.

Cuts wrote:

The Motorcycle Diaries

I've read the film.

They gave me it early in the local book shop.

Saw the pic. Different cover over there. Lass in the shop said it was good. Must have read it quick #humourtheoldbloke

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Fri 16 Jan 2015 10:07 pm)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

As recommended by Rudi above, I'm halfway through Beastings by Ben Myers.

Very good so far.

"We are The Fall"

Harvest wrote:

There's a good book out this year that I bought someone for Christmas - The Year of Reading Dangerously by someone Miller. It's about this bloke realising that due to the constraints of his life, work, kids etc, he'd only read one book in a year. He rectified this by reading about 50 books in a year, load of classics, must reads and should have read(s). The books about his year and the books he read. Might be worth a look.

Finally got round to reading this. Whizzed through it in 4 or 5 nights. Enjoyed it and it was pretty funny. Made me think of how much time I spend pissing around on the www when I could be reading a decent book - like I used to. As soon as I finished it I picked up another book, Animal Farm (the Orwell version, not the chickens getting shagged one). Read just about everything by Orwell bar this for some reason. I'll read this in a couple of nights as it's not very long and then I just need to carry on reading from there. Got about 70 odd unread books at home so plenty to go at.

Site stalwart.

To true that. Falling asleep is the other one!

I am just a common breed

Harvest wrote:
Harvest wrote:

There's a good book out this year that I bought someone for Christmas - The Year of Reading Dangerously by someone Miller. It's about this bloke realising that due to the constraints of his life, work, kids etc, he'd only read one book in a year. He rectified this by reading about 50 books in a year, load of classics, must reads and should have read(s). The books about his year and the books he read. Might be worth a look.

Finally got round to reading this. Whizzed through it in 4 or 5 nights. Enjoyed it and it was pretty funny. Made me think of how much time I spend pissing around on the www when I could be reading a decent book - like I used to. As soon as I finished it I picked up another book, Animal Farm (the Orwell version, not the chickens getting shagged one). Read just about everything by Orwell bar this for some reason. I'll read this in a couple of nights as it's not very long and then I just need to carry on reading from there. Got about 70 odd unread books at home so plenty to go at.

Andy Miller does a really nice podcast on old books, called Backlisted.

2+1

Not heard it, I'll check it out. I follow him on Twitter.

Site stalwart.

The latest one is on Gordon Burn's Alma Cogan. I'm sure you'll like it Harvey.

2+1

Clocked this thread as "Suggestions for a holiday in Reading"........ hmm

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Costa Del Slough.

Site stalwart.

Revised reading list:

His Bloody Project - Graeme Burnett McCrae
Sometimes I'm So Happy I'm Not Safe On The Streets - Dean Wilson
Black Teeth and a Brilliant Smile - Adelle Stripe
Love and Other Wounds - Jordan Harper
Bucket Of Tongues - Duncan MacLean
The Sunlight Pilgrims - Jenni Fagan
Preparation For The Next Life - Atticus Lish
All Involved - Ryan Gattis
Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned - Wells Towers
That Was A Shiver - James Kelman

Last edited by Rudi (Fri 08 Dec 2017 10:06 pm)

I've got two Yanis Varoufakis books.  I would like to know more about how shit has gone down in Europe.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Endorsing one of Rudi's recs again.

Black teeth and a brilliant smile is tiptop.

"We are The Fall"

I liked this - I am a sucker for short stories though.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

I liked this - I am a sucker for short stories though.

Got one for you next year Dan ....