Re: Living Abroad

Wife's cousin has bought a house in Pau, with another house on the side that they rent out.

When they heard our burgeoning plan to move to Spain, she said just wait until you've experienced France.

She says it's key to have a focus, or you'll just booze and eat, earlier and earlier into each day. They keep themselves active with things they've always wanted to try and things they used to do.

We are off to visit them this year.

They have both travelled extensively through career appointments and pumped money into six BTL's in Glasgow, returning a good monthly income.

They buy one, do it up and rent it out.

My twin sister has a house in Limoges and is moving there full-time in a couple of years. I know she'll run a business from there.

Misura wrote:
Loose Lips wrote:

Plenty of French town’s left on the Dordogne Placid.

Lovely bit of the world.

South of Bergerac gets very Dordogneshire.

East up the river returns to normality very quickly.

Girlfriends parents now retired do 6 months there and have their place in the lakes. Amazing life.

I bet they appreciate a good late stone age cave painting, comprising of, but not limited to, animals, human figures, and abstract signs.

She says it's key to have a focus, or you'll just booze and eat, earlier and earlier into each day

EM’s contacts have a point.

Despite the stone age art, big Pete and Jenny have gone into full wine mode.

Very easy to do. Before you know it you've gone the full Gerard Depardieu.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4210850.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/MAIN-Gerard.jpg

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

This thread has made me realise how low my aspirations are. I dream of living back in Yorkshire and just long to not exist under 24/7 'falling damp' for the majority of the year.

My mam's sister and her husband moved to Portugal in the 80s. Loved it there. They've just moved back though last year. Getting on a bit now and wanted decent healthcare. Not sure anyone had told them about Jeremy Hunt and the state of the NHS. They live in Nuneaton now too. Christ.

^^^^  Ha Ha Ha Ha - Nuneaton.

My wife and I are considering buying a static caravan in Shropshire, renting our house out an then April - Nov in van and then Nov - March traveling South East Asia.  Do it for a few years and see how it goes.  I would like to live in France though, that would be cool.  Medieval town in the south somewhere - but i'd want to work.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

^^^^  Ha Ha Ha Ha - Nuneaton.

My wife and I are considering buying a static caravan in Shropshire, renting our house out an then April - Nov in van and then Nov - March traveling South East Asia.  Do it for a few years and see how it goes.  I would like to live in France though, that would be cool.  Medieval town in the south somewhere - but i'd want to work.

Echo that.  I'd love to turn my pension into houses and live off the rent but Gov won't let me.  I could then rent family house out and fund a caravan, storage unit and 4 months abroad no probs.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

It has now been snowing since mid November. Its now mid March. It has been fucking freezing for 4 months.

Take off hosers ...

Thai government will give you perm residency if you have USD 27K in savings and are 50 or over.

You can pick up a nice big studio or a two bed in somewhere like Kata in Phuket for well under 100K.

suck'ahs to the side I know you hate my 98'

Kata

Last edited by king of the slums (Sun 11 Mar 2018 4:28 pm)

king of the slums wrote:

Thai government will give you perm residency if you have USD 27K in savings and are 50 or over.

You can pick up a nice big studio or a two bed in somewhere like Kata in Phuket for well under 100K.

What's healthcare like?  Crime?

Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Since PS has come back, I suspect things have quietened down considerably. wink

Last edited by Misura (Sun 11 Mar 2018 8:31 pm)

Toronto Ted wrote:

It has now been snowing since mid November. Its now mid March. It has been fucking freezing for 4 months.

I'm sitting here, reading this with tears streaming down my face, TT. Tears of laughter. lol

Last edited by Misura (Sun 11 Mar 2018 8:33 pm)

Misura wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Since PS has come back, I suspect things have quietened down considerably. wink

Their loss is Leeds' gain.  ????

Misura wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

I'm sitting here, reading this with tears streaming down my face, TT. Tears of laughter. lol

Frozen tears ....

Take off hosers ...

Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Health and dentistry in Phuket is second to none, no waiting straight in and get sorted, there's a bit of a health and dentistry tourism boom going on there. You have to pay, but it's cheap (ish). If you're okay with rocking up like you're getting an MOT you'll be fine with it.

It's more for active retirees I'd say, mate has bought a place there, lad next door and his wife, Danish, retired at 55, he's playing video games online in the morning, she's out on the scooter and doing yoga. Not a hip replacement place and maybe even 6 months during winter and then back kind of thing, rent your place out in summer for 1.2K a month and you've got 8+ grand waiting for you when you land in September, that would pay for 6 months, no rent, buy local, no problem at all.

We're looking at Nui Beach right now, pop round for some sugar and Singha if you like:)

Last edited by king of the slums (Tue 13 Mar 2018 2:37 pm)