Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/01/Cover-79.jpg

This was the cover of Singletrack magazine in February last year. They have some cracking shots on the cover.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://images.newsphotos.com.au/images/Lores/14873318.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/06/05/4466696/---aaasoo97chief-20130605191845889237-620x349.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OF8kmw6yJqo/UNmPg4f-xOI/AAAAAAAAA4M/Y45nvj7MSx4/s1600/pantani_cropped1.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyQi7cTVqEBDdaT5g3HdJgamZ0m9SoEESiiTVdrbDETjYwjn6k

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

I always remember a photo in a boxing book as a kid that my dad had. Don't know what happened to it. It was very moving. In black and white and showed you a boxer laying dead on the ring floor. It was an outside fight and the dark sky appeared to have opened and a beam of light appeared to be shining solely on the dead fighter. Like his spirit was getting pulled up to heaven. It was an amazing photograph but I've never been able to find it since

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Dead boxer photos you say....?
http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/dead-boxer … g-at-wake/

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Fucks sake, what's up with people? ?

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Dead boxer shaft of light

http://altereddimensions.net/main/wp-co … mage36.png

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Google is shit for copying images these days, hardly owt works.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-moOY7k7sAww/UVwJVj_lYtI/AAAAAAAAAcY/Sij-WOwcPPc/s1600/Edgar+Bob+Ten+Second+of+Light+from+boxingforum24+P1000290.jpg

http://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45056

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Wow. That's the picture yeah. I used to read every boxing book and magazine as a kid.  I was obsessed.  Me Dad had ring magazines and boxing weekly going back to the 50 ' s.  Some fantastic photos spring to mind, graziano all cut up from zale,  marciano landing on Walcott,  Carmen basilio with a huge swollen face.  Loads and loads. I'll have a look through some books and find some for you. But this picture used to really get me. Young up and coming fighter laying dead, his opponent looking on knowing he was dead. And that shaft of light.  The picture says it all. I can't describe shit like that...

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

scootay wrote:

Wow. That's the picture yeah. I used to read every boxing book and magazine as a kid.  I was obsessed.  Me Dad had ring magazines and boxing weekly going back to the 50 ' s.  Some fantastic photos spring to mind, graziano all cut up from zale,  marciano landing on Walcott,  Carmen basilio with a huge swollen face.  Loads and loads. I'll have a look through some books and find some for you. But this picture used to really get me. Young up and coming fighter laying dead, his opponent looking on knowing he was dead. And that shaft of light.  The picture says it all. I can't describe shit like that...

Errrr - you just did.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Sounds like quite a collection, you still got it all?

Do you have, have you read Chris Finnegan's biography? Pretty good book. His bouts with Conteh. The fact his brother was such a rouge the newspaper printed up his brother's name as winning an Olympic medal instead of Chris's he was in the courts and news so often. Knobbed some gymnast the night before his Olympic debut. A good read. I read a good Dempsy one too, riding the rails etc... I think it was Dempsey who was managed by Tex Richard? The Tunney one is good in as much as it's well written and he wasn't your average boxer. Harry Greb sounds interesting but I've only read about him in other people's bios.

Two of the saddest things in boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAVW_nXqq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY_1iNtpb1E

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

Cuts wrote:

Sounds like quite a collection, you still got it all?

Do you have, have you read Chris Finnegan's biography? Pretty good book. His bouts with Conteh. The fact his brother was such a rouge the newspaper printed up his brother's name as winning an Olympic medal instead of Chris's he was in the courts and news so often. Knobbed some gymnast the night before his Olympic debut. A good read. I read a good Dempsy one too, riding the rails etc... I think it was Dempsey who was managed by Tex Richard? The Tunney one is good in as much as it's well written and he wasn't your average boxer. Harry Greb sounds interesting but I've only read about him in other people's bios.

Two of the saddest things in boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAVW_nXqq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY_1iNtpb1E

just ordered the book cuts, cheers sounds good

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://i37.tinypic.com/k3st1u.jpg

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://proboxinginsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/basil.jpg

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://cdn1-www.ringtv.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2012/10/file_175393_2_ARCHIVE_Graziano_vs_Zale.jpg

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

https://d2nyfqh3g1stw3.cloudfront.net/photos/featured_11_58_26_619_robby.jpg

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://www.independent.co.uk/migration_catalog/article5292400.ece/alternates/w620/pg-20-harvey-smith.jpeg

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

scootay wrote:
Cuts wrote:

Sounds like quite a collection, you still got it all?

Do you have, have you read Chris Finnegan's biography? Pretty good book. His bouts with Conteh. The fact his brother was such a rouge the newspaper printed up his brother's name as winning an Olympic medal instead of Chris's he was in the courts and news so often. Knobbed some gymnast the night before his Olympic debut. A good read. I read a good Dempsy one too, riding the rails etc... I think it was Dempsey who was managed by Tex Richard? The Tunney one is good in as much as it's well written and he wasn't your average boxer. Harry Greb sounds interesting but I've only read about him in other people's bios.

Two of the saddest things in boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAVW_nXqq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY_1iNtpb1E

just ordered the book cuts, cheers sounds good

Best boxing book I read is this, by Jose Torres, Ali's sparring partner and light-h'weight champ, also Olympic gold medalist - great writer, really talks about the mental challenge of getting into a ring. Intro by Norman Mailer, bit of a pseud but also a good writer http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Like-Bee-Mu … like+a+bee

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

I have this photo in colour on my wall at home - the punch that launched the civil rights era...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/24/article-2566735-00671D4100000258-759_634x541.jpg

Great account of the fight here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_A … nny_Liston

Going to Louisville, Kentucky in a couple weeks for work, will visit the Ali Center and whatever else they have on him.

Last edited by Mike Jones (Wed 04 Jun 2014 10:39 pm)

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

http://www.thehardtackle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Andoni-Goecocxea-300x211.jpg

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Share

Re: Did we have a thread of great sports photographs, if not lets start on

some great photos here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/galle … n-pictures

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

Share