Topic: Viv Albertine - Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys,

Absolutely bloody fantastic. One of the best autobiographies I've ever read. Brutally honest, heartbreaking and optimistic are just some of the adjectives that describe this. She's had some life has Viv. Well done girl and keep on keeping on.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Re: Viv Albertine - Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys,

Train in Vain

________________________________________________________________________________

I thought it was great too DJ, didn't post as it was in my fallow period.

I bought the book after dipping in it one day in a book shop all of the musical references were of interest, the best thing I can say about the book is that it's just as good if not better when it gets onto the years after her career had moved on from music.

Wasn't expecting much from this but was very pleasantly surprised. Agree that her school run years and career reboot sections were arguably better than the punk years.

I haven't felt this good for an hour

Fantastic book. Hers and Louise from Sleeper are the best female rock blogs I've read. Very honest book - well written with plenty of anecdotes from thee punk years, but as mentioned already it's the stuff about being a wife and mother where she really opens up.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Lad I know did a q & a live thing with her on Friday night, then took her back to the station. Reckons she's just a lovely person.

Site stalwart.

Where was that Harvest? Was it one of the Outlaws thingys?

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Scunny.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ0KPmuWwAAf6ni.jpg

Site stalwart.

Adding to what others have said

Very good book from former the former Slits member, about life growing up through the 1960`s and getting into music in the late `60`s very early `70`s in London. Hanging around the Punk scene with her good friend Sid Vicious, squatting in flats and hanging around the shop Sex in the Kings Road. Her relationship with Mick Jones and joining the band The Slits, which eventually supported The Clash.

The book is split into 2 parts, the second post Slits where she has to rebuild her life, when The Slits split and she has to get a "proper job". The second part of the book gets pretty hairy at times and I thought she gave a husband a hard time of it, to say he had no chance to reply.

Definitely worth a read, as it`s a very good book, even if you`re not a fan.

________________________________________________________________________________

Harvest wrote:

Lad I know did a q & a live thing with her on Friday night, then took her back to the station. Reckons she's just a lovely person.

I can concur with that. Did a Q&A with her in Hull and she was ace. Very honest and open, has loads of interesting ideas about music and art. Her next book is out this year with Faber.

There’s An Evening with Viv Albertine at The Wardrobe in May as part of the Leeds International Festival.