Topic: Control (Silly cunt...Contact!)

Oh he's sad...

But he's a genius...

Opp he's a sad again now..

But he's a genius!

'Ahhh Ian's really sad again.

'But boy was he a genius!'

Ian's so so sad now he's topped himself.

Samantha Morton looking 47 playing 16 but other than that worth it for the music alone.

Can tell that Anton fella is a photographer too. Some beautiful shots but also some bizzare lingering shots of Telephone wires? (Not overly sure why?).

But a good film like.
Not one to put a big smile on your chops but I enjoyed it.

Last edited by john charles is god (Thu 31 Jul 2008 10:56 am)

'Never ever forget what the Tories did to us in Wales...they are lower than vermin' Nye Bevan.

Re: Control (Silly cunt...Contact!)

I thought it was a bit dreary really. Toby Kebbler was good. Apart from that, the photography was the best bit about it.

I suppose it's not helped by knowing how it ends. I never bothered watching "Titanic" for the same reason.

And I'm not sure about all this "Ian Curtis was a genius" lark.

I mean, the other three went on to do alright without him didn't they?

The best bit is where Jodie Foster travels through a wormhole in space to another galaxy. The scene where she meets an alien who has taken the form of her dead Dad is quite touching.

Acatcherinthenet wrote:

Contact? Do you mean Control?

*Scratches head in a Tuesday morning stylee*

Thank fook you noticed, I thught I was going mental-ler. lol

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Rudi wrote:

I thought it was a bit dreary really. Toby Kebbler was good. Apart from that, the photography was the best bit about it.

I suppose it's not helped by knowing how it ends. I never bothered watching "Titanic" for the same reason.

And I'm not sure about all this "Ian Curtis was a genius" lark.

I mean, the other three went on to do alright without him didn't they?

Everybody Loves You When You're Dead.

I loved the film but I think I also said you wouldn't be able to get an unbiaed opinion about the film from me.  Must admit though, I didn't really get a sense from the film that they were saying IC was a genius, just a talented bloke with some great lines in his head.  He was fucked by the epilepsy as well as the near stardom he was getting.  A good thing that the film does show is that they are all far from perfect individuals but still managed to make some bloody great noise. 

JD and New Order are, in my humble, very different entities and I think Rudi's comment is a good one.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

I think it would have been worse if Ian Curtis hadn't topped himself.

I mean, no New Order?! yikes

I must have been the only one cheering at the end of Control.

[i]Freak out, Sugar! Come with us to Grantham[/i]

Horrible horrible man ya.

lol:lol::lol:

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Acatcherinthenet wrote:

I never got to see Joy Division live *Checks boyish good looks in mirror* But the scenes in the film where they were playing live were fucking fantastic. And that bit where IC is walking to work, and the track 'No Love Lost' is playing. Sounded great in the pictures in Leeds Light.

The Bernard Sumner character, he was the absolute double. Good casting!

The double of who?  No way of Bernie!  NO WAY!

Looked like that Marc Warren fella off Hustle and other stuff to me.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Don't come looking, the police are monitoring our property on the lookout to catch the Catcher. 

Now fuck off back to that kids' home in Jersey where you used to work lol

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Finally got round to watching this on DVD.

Saddest thing about it was knowing that Natalie Curtis can have no illusions about the relationship she had with her dad whilst he was about.

Just watched it on DVD last night and was surprisingly less depressing than what I'd heard, or perhaps i'm a depressing twat .... even Mrs YP liked it and she's normally baffled and slightly ill at ease with northern culture lol

as Rudi mentioned, Rob Gretton character got all the great lines, and JCIG - Samantha Morton could've played Ian Curtis' mum big_smile

my favourite line is where the Downs lad points out his finger at IC in the job centre  to say ' i don't like hot dogs' when offered the job. in the bonus section, aparently the lad came up with this himself, classic !

Young Parisian in disguise

We had a thread on this pre crash.

Not that I'm obsessed or anything so I probably didn't mention it but did anyone notice any absolutely shite props? One that made the whole opening scene a bit daft to us - like Ian - people who like a bit of David? Easy to research, crucial to research the lazy fucks.

Really enjoyed the film like and the Bowie tracks were just icing.

Thought Sam Morton was fantastic and that she got away with the age thing.

Curtis wasn't a genius for me or if he was dint have time to show it.

I’ll be an atheist until the day I die.

MickMcCann wrote:

We had a thread on this pre crash.

Not that I'm obsessed or anything so I probably didn't mention it but did anyone notice any absolutely shite props? One that made the whole opening scene a bit daft to us - like Ian - people who like a bit of David? Easy to research, crucial to research the lazy fucks.

Really enjoyed the film like and the Bowie tracks were just icing.

Thought Sam Morton was fantastic and that she got away with the age thing.

Curtis wasn't a genius for me or if he was dint have time to show it.

Yes Mick, we saw the gaffe - early in the film everybody, Ian Curtis says that David Bowie is a genius - absolute tosh big_smile

* runs for cover, very far *

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

I thought it made Ian Curtis look like a right horrible fucker, which he probably was despite the issues with stardom and epilepsy. I felt he was at his most compassionate working in the job centre. And that says something.

In many ways I always felt that the media parades Joy Division as Ian Curtis and the 'Other Three'. In both 24 hour party people and this film, Sumner, Hooky and Stephen always were portrayed like mute/talentless mancs basking ion the glory of IC. Which amazes me because if that's a true reflection of what it was like to be in Joy Division it is truly exceptional what they came out with later as New Order.

I seem to remember an interview with Sumner when he was asked why they started playing Joy Division songs again, might have been around '98, and he said 'Well we did write the fuckers you know!'.

For me I never really empathised with the lyrics that much, but I loved the sound of Joy Division.

Loose Lips wrote:

I thought it made Ian Curtis look like a right horrible fucker, which he probably was despite the issues with stardom and epilepsy. I felt he was at his most compassionate working in the job centre. And that says something.

In many ways I always felt that the media parades Joy Division as Ian Curtis and the 'Other Three'. In both 24 hour party people and this film, Sumner, Hooky and Stephen always were portrayed like mute/talentless mancs basking ion the glory of IC. Which amazes me because if that's a true reflection of what it was like to be in Joy Division it is truly exceptional what they came out with later as New Order.

I seem to remember an interview with Sumner when he was asked why they started playing Joy Division songs again, might have been around '98, and he said 'Well we did write the fuckers you know!'.

For me I never really empathised with the lyrics that much, but I loved the sound of Joy Division.

See your point totally LL - I was a JD fan because of the 'sound' - the guitar, the bass, the ace drumming - so it probably makes me out to be a bit basic but I never gave a damn about the lyrics and, in all honesty, Curtis' singing was often the weakspot of JD IMO.

I read Mrs Curtis' book years ago and felt, like anyone else I knew who'd read it, quite underwhelmed at how Ian Curtis appeared.  But it's hardly a glamorous thing, forming a band in Macclesfield in the mid-late 70s, I don't know what I was expecting.

Joy Div had a great drummer, a great guitarist and a great bassist - and I mean great - but most bands are respected for the lyricist maybe.  Doesnt seem right but wtf, if Curtis hadn't topped himself we might have never had New Order, also a band who have written some classic songs and made some amazing tunes too.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Exactly OC - I love the 'space' in their records. I dabble at home with my studio and guitar and the sheer genius of the production from Hamnett is just incredible. I can't even get close to it.

It's like those three lads got together without ever hearing music before and had no preconceptions about what their instruments should sound like and the sound that came out just came out.

I still maintain that Hooky and Sumner can't actually play their instruments, particularly Sumner. Morris however, is possibly the one of the greats.

Loose Lips wrote:

Exactly OC - I love the 'space' in their records. I dabble at home with my studio and guitar and the sheer genius of the production from Hamnett is just incredible. I can't even get close to it.

It's like those three lads got together without ever hearing music before and had no preconceptions about what their instruments should sound like and the sound that came out just came out.

I still maintain that Hooky and Sumner can't actually play their instruments, particularly Sumner. Morris however, is possibly the one of the greats.

Morris is one of the best drummers around, I always thought it tbh.  Interested in what you mean about Hooky and Sumner tho - please explain big_smile

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

old codger wrote:
Loose Lips wrote:

Morris is one of the best drummers around, I always thought it tbh.  Interested in what you mean about Hooky and Sumner tho - please explain big_smile

Think what's he trying to say OC is that they were far from average musicians nevermind 'great'. Think the drummers a clever drummer.

What was the gaff in the film?

I've been to Filey but I've never been to me.

A David Bowie gaffe, wrong album sleeve or something.  No disrespect to DB fans, I didn't see it but I wouldn't, only ever bought 2 singles by the man.  I think someone might have pointed out an error with a JD pic sleeve as well, can't remember.

Ref musicianship, I missed the irony, I was tired yikes

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

MH was the genius - way ahead for his time.

-----------------
Get the ale in!

Sorry to join the party late but I got around to watching this last night.  I thought it was a very, very good film.  In fact, one of the best things I've seen this year.

It was pitched perfectly.  Usually I shy away from rock films because they're made by fans and crawl up the arse of the dead celeb it's about.  This one didn't.  It showed IC "warts and all" and didn't big the band or Ian up.  Previous posts say that it ignores the other members but I think that's because the film is about Ian rather than the other three.  Besides, give it ten years and there'll be a film about New Order where IC is just the twat who dies in the first ten minutes.  It showed him as a deeply flawed person and looked to be at least trying to be honest.

Not as depressing as I thought it was going to be.  It was bleak, but the Black and White filming didn't add to the bleakness, it just seasoned it like pepper on a good steak.

If you haven't watched this film then do so.  Open a tinny, tell the wife to f**k off to her in-laws for a couple of hours.  Clear your head of any expectations.  Dim the lights and switch it on.

It will never join the ranks of the great classic films, but I feel richer for having watched it.  And I rarely get that feeling from a film nowdays.

Last edited by spacecadetdave (Tue 07 Jul 2009 7:40 pm)

Eating tofu and hating it.

full filum on youtube