Topic: Comfort food

Mince n tats all day long.  Mince, onion, carrots, spuds and oxo boiled up for 30 mins.  Scottish by origin and our family version is a variation of it.

Cheap tasty food from the poorest parts of countries is generally the best and the ones you always go back to.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Re: Comfort food

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Mince n tats all day long.  Mince, onion, carrots, spuds and oxo boiled up for 30 mins.  Scottish by origin and our family version is a variation of it.

Cheap tasty food from the poorest parts of countries is generally the best and the ones you always go back to.

A slight (Irish?) variation when I was growing up, and still enjoy today -  mince, onion, carrots (I add them, but I don't remember my Mum including them) and oxo, boiled. The potatoes were separately boiled, mashed (typically with milk, butter and chopped onions added) and formed into a ring, and the mince stew poured into the middle...

I'm smacking my chops now!

Tolley wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

A slight (Irish?) variation when I was growing up, and still enjoy today -  mince, onion, carrots (I add them, but I don't remember my Mum including them) and oxo, boiled. The potatoes were separately boiled, mashed (typically with milk, butter and chopped onions added) and formed into a ring, and the mince stew poured into the middle...

I'm smacking my chops now!

Fantastic.  Can't beat it.  It's probably Irish anyway as my family are Coatbridge Catholics.

Your only one step away from a cottage pie.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

2 sausage ,1 fried egg , chips, 2 rounds of white bread and butter , tomato ketchup .  Big mug of tea. Hangover/ comfort food.

To stand aside is to take sides.

space wrote:

Your only one step away from a cottage pie.

Sassenach food.  Ha ha ha.

I must admit, the Shepherds pie I make goes down very well with the natives. I usually lace it with brown sauce and some white pepper (not black). Kids bloody love it, so do I.

I won't bore you again with the fried-egg, peanut butter and cheese sarnie recipe..

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Mitaman wrote:

I must admit, the Shepherds pie I make goes down very well with the natives. I usually lace it with brown sauce and some white pepper (not black). Kids bloody love it, so do I.

I won't bore you again with the fried-egg, peanut butter and cheese sarnie recipe..

Brown sauce is always a good tip for stews and whatnot.  They've perfected the recipe over decades so what's not to like?

I often put a little bit of red sauce into beef/lamb gravy if it needs sweetening up a little,  works very well

White pepper in the mash along with a slab of butter - probably done with equal measures of potato,  celeriac,  and swede

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Favourite comfort food in winter is carrot and corriander soup.  I used to make it while the kids were out playing in the snow.  Serve with a bread roll still warm from the oven.

Spicy parsnip soup is the same for me - makes my mouth water thinking about it

As you said,  with rolls still warm from the oven

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

We are making a few soups at the moment.  Thought about a soup machine but fail to see how it ou performs a pan and a hand blend derived.  We have gadgets in the cupboard we never use.

Aldi do a bag of part baked seeded rolls which when warmed in the oven go great with home made soup

Parsnip soup is lush.  Better if you really pan fry the parsnips first in butter until they're almost burnt on the outside.  Plenty of shallots, garlic, big splash of squeezed lemon and soy sauce.  Grate in loads of parmesan.  Finish with cream.

Missus does a parsnip and smoked haddock number with boat loads of cream in it.  Was tree mendous.

Curry - I have a chicken, sweet potato, pineapple and coriander madrass slow cooking on the hob as I type.  For after the pub later with rice and chapatis.  Cant fucking wait.

Aim Low and miss...

Risotto is great comfort food. Made a leek and bacon one the other night. Handful of grated cheese melted in at the end. Gorgeous.

Made one in the oven the other day, served with crusty bread. Gave myself a top review on TripAdvisor.

Site stalwart.

Tiger cobs and butter.  Now that is food - particularly if you have starved yourself of carbs for a week or so.

I have a beef and sweet potato stew in the oven.  I am going to make some dumplings to go with it as well.  I just need to prise the hungover wife out of bed so we can attend the pub for final score.  I think i'm on a hiding to nothing - she was on the vespas last night.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

Tiger cobs and butter.  Now that is food - particularly if you have starved yourself of carbs for a week or so.

I have a beef and sweet potato stew in the oven.  I am going to make some dumplings to go with it as well.  I just need to prise the hungover wife out of bed so we can attend the pub for final score.  I think i'm on a hiding to nothing - she was on the vespas last night.

Baked or stewed dumplings?  I prefer them in the stew so they are nice and soft.

Stewed - in the oven half in the stew half out.* 

It was immense.

*does Hommer face

Aim Low and miss...