Topic: Ebbsfleet at home....

1-2 Att: 1762

It's a good job we have a laugh. Because the football could kill you.

Town got a point away at Wrexham last week. And were worth it by all accounts. They went a goal down, got one back and kept it even. When managers go in the higher leagues, there's often a replacement lined up. And their first game often means a win. Town are still managerless. So last week was good. Very good.

It was raining on the way back from this morning's swimming lessons. A f***ing miserable day seemed on the cards, weather-wise if nothing else. Not exactly a great omen for facing a team 8 places above you.

But fast forward to mid-morning and the sun was out and the rain was gone.

We got a parking spot right by the ground and I remembered to bring a pen so she can mark the teamsheet (they hand them out before the game, you're expected to put some brass in the bucket for the club) with goals and, more importantly for Town, bookings (four today, par for the course).

We're getting to know a few of the people who sit around us. And they're a decent enough bunch. Had a chat before the game. They drew at Wrexham people. We were almost optimistic.

First half Town were great. Up for it, passing well, playing well. Saw more football in 20 minutes than we've seen all season. They had a succession of corners and were pressuring Ebbsfleet's goal. It paid off. Penalty awarded and Kosylo buried it beautifully.

Halftime and we're expecting good things. And then the real Town returned for the second half.

Football is a cruel mistress.

They were s***.

And reverted to type. Bookings, missed passes, men caught out of position. Losing both Cliff Moyo and Josh McDonald (essentially Town's right flank) didn't help but they were soon chasing a game with no sign of winning. Both of Ebbsfleet's goals were soft. The first was a f***ing joke. Talk about losing your man. Before you know it Town are 1-2 down and the game is disappearing.

Their manager is one of those who dresses like he's playing Chelsea. All foppish hair and a three-piece suit. They've a couple of decent guys up front. They brought Whiteley on at halftime. He was bought from Dagenham in the week. Sought after player and it showed. They were a bit like Orient in some respects though, a lot of time-wasting and rolling around.

And then there's the keeper. He's a 'character'. Dreads in a top knot. Short-sleeved top, full luminous green kit. Built like a decent second-rower in a rugby league team. He made some great saves but should have been off for his wrestling (literally) of Tomlinson late on. Town aren't my team, I can live with them losing. So I don't view decisions like that in the way I might a Leeds game. But the ref was poor and shocking on this incident. He booked both of them. Typical of so many to just bottle the issue. A bad ref.

So many are at this level. But Town are an ill-disciplined side and it will cost them dearly.

Today was a game that really showed that they're a part-time team. They lookeed like a side that get to train once a week. Ebbsfleet didn't.

Outside the ground the traveling faithful were deliriously happy. An odd bunch. The Kent estuary is a world away from London. They were all Lonsdale trainers and really, really bad jeans. And they brought a drum. The daughter hates drums at football.

But, thank goodness, she doesn't hate football. Or losing. We were chatting about the fact that she's missing Hartlepool at home on Tuesday night (Mrs is taking the kids to Jersey for half-term) and going to Guiseley and Fylde away.

Last home game is Tranmere in April. This season has flown. She'll be back next year I reckon....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Ebbsfleet at home....

I love these updates Trav,  came them coming

My youngest has asked to go see a Brentford game

I'm half considering taking him along to the Boro game,  he can go with his mates and their dads and I'll pop into the away end with some long-lost ICI Billingham mates......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

MLS just kicked off so I'll be taking my little lad to TFC this year, hoping he enjoys it BUT sport ... he hates it, prefers bikes, skateboards, skiing and hanging out with girls

Thanks for the great reads this year Travis

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sun 11 Mar 2018 11:46 am)

Take off hosers ...

I've enjoyed writing them. She's decided she's not going on Tuesday night as she has 'assessments' all week and doesn't want to be too tired. We'll see come home time on Tuesday...
Guiseley away on Saturday.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Guiseley away on Saturday.

Halifax may have to up their game for this one.

Despite losing yet again yesterday to an injury time goal, reports of the match suggest that Guiseley have been revitalised under their stand-in manager, former Ireland international Sean St Ledger.

Guiseley are still going to be relegated, but hopefully now with some dignity, and be better placed to reform for next season.

Looking forward to it. Worked out that it was 1991 when I last went to Guiseley.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Looking forward to it. Worked out that it was 1991 when I last went to Guiseley.

With all the home game postponements Guiseley have had this year, it seems like it was 1991 for me as well. The game against Barrow alone has been postponed three times.

I'll be probably a near full-time resident in April with the number of home games they need to fit in.