Re: Summer Holiday 2018

This wife's sister?

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Not quite summer but have booked flights to Crete for October half term

Any recommendations from anyone?  Areas to stay etc  prefer something more rustic and less touristy with a villa being preferred

Cheers

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

smile

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Me and misses off to Malta in the morning.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

I've been at this time of year.

Good weather.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Weather is looking a bit poor for next couple of days. Hail , tomorrow.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Gulp...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42505903

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Definitely haven’t bought the right clothes.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Anywhere interesting in Portugal not on the Algarve. Not that I have anything against that. Inland or somewhere round Porto. Only criteria is near water (preferably rivers of lakes) and restaurants.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

placidcasual wrote:

Anywhere interesting in Portugal not on the Algarve. Not that I have anything against that. Inland or somewhere round Porto. Only criteria is near water (preferably rivers of lakes) and restaurants.

Only just seen this Placid - sorry

i went here about 7 years ago with the Mrs and the then baby,  was lovely and much better than on some of these pics

https://gotoportugal.eu/en/serras-de-ai … ture-park/

It's not mega for lakes but it's not too far from rivers and the road to Coimbra is a lovely trip

It's quite close to the coast too so might be OK

We flew into Lisbon and hired a car - pretty straightforward if you're used to that sort of thing (which you are)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

placidcasual wrote:

Anywhere interesting in Portugal not on the Algarve. Not that I have anything against that. Inland or somewhere round Porto. Only criteria is near water (preferably rivers of lakes) and restaurants.

We once stayed in Estoril. It had water , restaurants and a quick train trip to Lisbon which was fuckin excellent.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Booked a week in Duqessa, and hour west of Malaga.  Will be my fourth time.  Planning a day in Cadiz which looks fucking ace.

I'd love a day trip to Tangier but I can't help but think it will be a really really long day.

Any done Tarifa  - Tangier?

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Once did the trip from Cadiz to Ceuta back in the mid 80s
Travelled all round Morocco and found it fascinating
Mind you got the worse case of the trots I've ever had in Marrakech

ambition beyond ability

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Misura wrote:

A short bit of a long story, but currently in Malaga after a couple of days in tangier. Me and mate travelled to the arse end of the empire to have a come to with a member of the tangier branch of Leeds utd supporters club. Mate had a 'dead stock' '90's umbro blades training top on and we got run down rue de Mohammed VI, by a toothless local loon who'd made it quite clear he was Leeds. Had ambitions of a moroccan odyssey, planned to go to mauritania on the train & buses, but overall not a particularly nice place, heavy atmosphere, spent it drinking Casablanca beer round the pool with beautiful camp french men and after we had had our fill of dates and lamb tangines, decided to go back to Spain.

If I've not shagged a Scandinavian by sunrise tomorrow I'll know my mojo is failing. I shaved my bowlaks and dabbed a bit of creed milliseme imperial behind my ears and to all intents and purposes am irresistible to women of a certain age.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

^^  Ha Ha ha

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

wogga wrote:

Once did the trip from Cadiz to Ceuta back in the mid 80s
Travelled all round Morocco and found it fascinating
Mind you got the worse case of the trots I've ever had in Marrakech

I'm keen but I don't think a day trip will do it justice.

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Misura wrote:
Misura wrote:

A short bit of a long story, but currently in Malaga after a couple of days in tangier. Me and mate travelled to the arse end of the empire to have a come to with a member of the tangier branch of Leeds utd supporters club. Mate had a 'dead stock' '90's umbro blades training top on and we got run down rue de Mohammed VI, by a toothless local loon who'd made it quite clear he was Leeds. Had ambitions of a moroccan odyssey, planned to go to mauritania on the train & buses, but overall not a particularly nice place, heavy atmosphere, spent it drinking Casablanca beer round the pool with beautiful camp french men and after we had had our fill of dates and lamb tangines, decided to go back to Spain.

If I've not shagged a Scandinavian by sunrise tomorrow I'll know my mojo is failing. I shaved my bowlaks and dabbed a bit of creed milliseme imperial behind my ears and to all intents and purposes am irresistible to women of a certain age.

Liver on the mend then?

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

i lived near the ferry crossings to Morocco for 8 years never fancied it.

All of the advice from everyone who went was get the fuck out of the port town at the first opportunity. Apparently beyond the port it can be worth a visit, the port towns are shit holes.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Just had a great week in Cumbria up near Wigton. Spent some nice days out near Bassenthwaite lake, saw an Osprey. Went to Caldbeck one day and saw Chris Bonington walking his dog. Went up to Siloth one day and saw some traditional wrestling at the local fete. Had a massive garden where we stayed which the kids loved. This was the view from the hot tub with Skiddaw in the background.

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/77475763374804fafd86e3a74e1d83df787a6b89d57aa2f0243310ef60e304c7532d4306.jpg

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Just had a great week in Cumbria up near Wigton. Spent some nice days out near Bassenthwaite lake, saw an Osprey. Went to Caldbeck one day and saw Chris Bonington walking his dog. Went up to Siloth one day and saw some traditional wrestling at the local fete. Had a massive garden where we stayed which the kids loved. This was the view from the hot tub with Skiddaw in the background.

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/77475763374804fafd86e3a74e1d83df787a6b89d57aa2f0243310ef60e304c7532d4306.jpg

Decent that Fuzzy,  looks pretty ideal to me

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

It was a very relaxing place to stay Ray. Had to laugh when I was reading the comments in the guest book. It was 99.9% comments like "Lovely stay", "Perfect", "Ideal location" etc etc but some throbber had written it was great apart from one the trees in the garden that needed repositioning as it spoilt the view from the hot tub. Needless to say they were from London. It blows my mind the types of things people will actually complain about. I try to never read trip advisor reviews for that reason as I'll end up on there for hours tutting and shaking my head.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

It was a very relaxing place to stay Ray. Had to laugh when I was reading the comments in the guest book. It was 99.9% comments like "Lovely stay", "Perfect", "Ideal location" etc etc but some throbber had written it was great apart from one the trees in the garden that needed repositioning as it spoilt the view from the hot tub. Needless to say they were from London. It blows my mind the types of things people will actually complain about. I try to never read trip advisor reviews for that reason as I'll end up on there for hours tutting and shaking my head.

Whopper as you say

TripAdvisor is OK if you know how to interpret the reviews.  As you say,  some complete drongos whinge about frig all and they're easy to spot - you can almost picture some of them whining on!

We have a week in the mountains of Crete late October that I'm really looking forward to.  Great villa in middle of nowhere with heated pool and about 1.2 acres of land.  Tiny village 5 minutes walk away with a couple of Kafenion which are supposed to be really good

Can't wait,  got  hire car so we can explore should we be able to tear ourselves away from the pool and surrounding areas!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

I went to Crete recently and enjoyed mooching round the back streets of Chania.

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

I love Crete. Beautiful island and the food is gorgeous. I imagine it would be ace in Autumn in the mountains. I walked the Samaria Gorge once but it was in July and a bit too hot for my liking. Chania is a lovely old town EM. Been about 4 times.

Last edited by fuzzy dunlop (Tue 04 Sep 2018 7:19 pm)

Share

Re: Summer Holiday 2018

Expanding Man wrote:

I went to Crete recently and enjoyed mooching round the back streets of Chania.

Euphemism?

Chania deffo on the list for a day trip - I'll drive in and let the Mrs drive us home

Any other spots to recommend I'll take - there's a big lake nearby which i'm told is lovely and peaceful,  packed with wildlife etc

I was in Crete many years ago but that was Malia..........a slightly different holiday but one that holds many memories (and plenty lost memories too)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share