Re: Unsocial media

On FB but don't live my life through it, like some. Former, trusted, work colleagues, a few relatives that I get on with, a couple of good friends and some mountain biking buddies from, a now, defunct MTB forum, who would be banned by Singletrackworld after their first post.
Don't get Twatter or Instagram. It's an age thing, I guess...

Last edited by CharlieG (Tue 20 Feb 2018 7:34 pm)

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Harvest wrote:

What's your twitter thingy Dan?

@bloodyhell1000

I only re tweet leftie stuff I find.  Occasional missives about Nottingham Forest no cunt reads.

Aim Low and miss...

Facebook is really difficult to understand. As soon as you think you've worked out who is the best mum, someone else trumps it with a fab trip to the zoo AND snuggles on the sofa.

I chuckle daily at McFadden's Cold War.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

^^^  This.

Aim Low and miss...

Facebook's value plunges $37 billion on data controversy.

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

king of the slums wrote:

Facebook's value plunges $37 billion on data controversy.

Information Commissioner seeking warrants to inspect Cambridge Analytical's data.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

king of the slums wrote:

I'm going non-digital from Jan 1st indefinitely..

My reasons:
– Mark Zuckerburg is an amoral man-child who's only interest is in selling you to the highest bidder.
– FB is designed to be addictive and I am addicted to it. It's also designed to make you feel shit about yourself and as such is worst than a batch of shit beak.
– Time spent on FB is mostly wasted w/ minimal self improvement gained from it. It's the digital equivalent of reading the free local newspaper.
– Too many monopolies on the internet, and they are not benevolent, they're out to get you.
– There are far better / discrete sources of high quality media & non-commercial content available online and I'm too lazy to look for them as long as I get a mediocre stream of piss-poor content force fed to me, along with road traffic updates and "she's turned the bairns against us," posts from people I've not seen in 20 years.
- I will miss my friend's updates & content (especially travel & hobby related stuff), and the rare re-connects with friends I'd lost touch with, but it's time to drag it back in.

Fuck FB!

So did you manage to dump Facebook or do you still have a sneaky peek ?

Instagram is dangerous.  My wife had an Instagram account and I was looking through the photos on her account on her phone some time ago. She has a mate with great tits who loves to show them off on Instagram (always covered, just, but leaving little to the imagination). I didn’t know but every time I ‘double clicked’ thinking it would zoom in, I was liking the photos.   It took some explaining when her friend made a comment to my wife about her ‘liking’ about 100 photos in the space of two minutes !!!

Little Billy Bremner wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

I'm going non-digital from Jan 1st indefinitely..

My reasons:
– Mark Zuckerburg is an amoral man-child who's only interest is in selling you to the highest bidder.
– FB is designed to be addictive and I am addicted to it. It's also designed to make you feel shit about yourself and as such is worst than a batch of shit beak.
– Time spent on FB is mostly wasted w/ minimal self improvement gained from it. It's the digital equivalent of reading the free local newspaper.
– Too many monopolies on the internet, and they are not benevolent, they're out to get you.
– There are far better / discrete sources of high quality media & non-commercial content available online and I'm too lazy to look for them as long as I get a mediocre stream of piss-poor content force fed to me, along with road traffic updates and "she's turned the bairns against us," posts from people I've not seen in 20 years.
- I will miss my friend's updates & content (especially travel & hobby related stuff), and the rare re-connects with friends I'd lost touch with, but it's time to drag it back in.

Fuck FB!

So did you manage to dump Facebook or do you still have a sneaky peek ?

Dumped it, given myself until the end of this month and will delete completely, currently deactivated, not gone back once. Will lose messenger when I delete completely, but had about 3 conversations in 3 months since getting off it, mostly "I'm coming to Japan can you write a rough guide for us?" type of stuff, which I can miss really smile  In fact I don't miss FB at all and I'm a lot less wound up. I'm not constantly thinking what a wanker / whopper / look at him / look at her / look at me look at me. No cravings, nothing like fags, makes you wonder why I was on it in the first place really..

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 21 Mar 2018 3:08 am)

Instagram is dangerous.  My wife had an Instagram account and I was looking through the photos on her account on her phone some time ago. She has a mate with great tits who loves to show them off on Instagram (always covered, just, but leaving little to the imagination). I didn’t know but every time I ‘double clicked’ thinking it would zoom in, I was liking the photos.   It took some explaining when her friend made a comment to my wife about her ‘liking’ about 100 photos in the space of two minutes !!!

big_smile

That man Scott Galloway again...

SILICON VALLEY’S TAX-AVOIDING, JOB-KILLING, SOUL-SUCKING MACHINE

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a … on-valley/

Granted, we’ve seen job destruction before. But we’ve never seen companies quite this good at it. Uber set a new (low) bar with $68 billion spread across only twelve thousand employees, or $5.7 million per employee. It’s hardly obvious that a ride-share company—which requires actual drivers on the actual roads—would be the one to arbitrage the middle class with a Houdini move that would have Henry Ford spinning in his grave.

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 21 Mar 2018 4:58 am)

Harvest wrote:

I chuckle daily at McFadden's Cold War.

Straight in this week at No.14 in the charts...   @ToothlessFarage

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Ha i joined facebook only recently, some groups over here operate on it.

I don't know how to use it, have no inclination to change my settings. I refused to friend a niece. I don't post. I don't look at it for days on end, but if i'm not on it, there are sports clubs/groups I cannot access.

Our little one starts pre-school on 3rd of April. We just had the orientation day and they said they have a private FB page. Nice way of showing the parents what went on at school. We have to tell them if we don't want any photos or videos of her going up there. I was going to say, "no thanks," but held back. As someone recently said, not being on FB is at risk of being the new Vegan. I am not going down that track but I do feel a lot better for being off it.

Ha ha.

Whats she called?

king of the slums wrote:

Our little one starts pre-school on 3rd of April. We just had the orientation day and they said they have a private FB page. Nice way of showing the parents what went on at school. We have to tell them if we don't want any photos or videos of her going up there. I was going to say, "no thanks," but held back. As someone recently said, not being on FB is at risk of being the new Vegan. I am not going down that track but I do feel a lot better for being off it.

I could stop using FB but it keeps me in touch with family and old friends, much like this place.

Take off hosers ...

king of the slums wrote:

. As someone recently said, not being on FB is at risk of being the new Vegan. .

http://newsthump.com/2018/03/22/im-not- … m-a-vegan/

https://www.channel4.com/news/data-demo … ion-expose

What happens when you send the Policy Director, UK, Middle East and Africa, to Asia to bat for Facebook...

White boy thought he could just rock up and deal with the locals and then head off for drinks at Raffles with his Oxford mates. big_smile

Simon Milner getting burned bad by the Singapore parliamentary committee.. smile

Last edited by king of the slums (Mon 26 Mar 2018 9:48 am)

I love the fact they banned chuddy in Singapore.  Too right, it completely fecks up pavements.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 26 Mar 2018 10:14 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

king of the slums wrote:

What happens when you send the Policy Director, UK, Middle East and Africa, to Asia to bat for Facebook...

White boy thought he could just rock up and deal with the locals and then head off for drinks at Raffles with his Oxford mates. big_smile

Simon Milner getting burned bad by the Singapore parliamentary committee.. smile

Love the bit at the end - a little pause that suggests he can reply then the killer "I don't need an answer from you"

Don't know the Facebook guy but you just know his sort......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Downloaded my Facebook data and found they had records of my phone text conversations. Not the messenger ones, actually text messages. Fuck that. Deleted my account.

How did you do that Rudi?

scootay wrote:

How did you do that Rudi?

Go to "Settings".  It's a link in the "General" section.  I've just done it and now I'm waiting for an email to tell me the download is ready.