Re: Rap music

placidcasual wrote:

Is he the bloke who raps on Suntoucher by Groove Armada?

Rap is bloody Ace! Anyone who says otherwise needs to burn up some cheeba and feel the vibe...

Yep that's him.

This is also an excellent LP and up there when I think about real Hip Hop with a bit of crossover appeal.

Lyrically really political (and still relevant), flows really well with the skits in between tracks.

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Posted before but this sums up a lot of what it's about.
Pure poetry. Delivery, soul, flow. Rides all over the rhythm, never loses it. Genius...

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

This has gone to three pages and no mention of proper old school hip hop, electro, street sounds, NY v's LA, Def Jam and all that caper!

I grew up on that shit from around 83 - loved it.  Gave up on Hip Hop with the advent of gangsta rap and all that.

Aim Low and miss...

I remember hearing Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow when it came out. Probably on Radio 1 or something.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Some great old stuff, no doubt about that, some true classics. But every rap record has been shit for a good 25 years

Imho

Respec

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Where it all pretty much started.  1979

Some of my favourites from back then.

And this is Dre in 1984!!!

Aim Low and miss...

'85-'95 generally regarded as the Golden Age. I think '87 and '88 were some of the most exciting. People were just starting to work out what you could do with an 808 and a sampler (mate got an Ensoniq in '88). Then you had the whole off-beat rhyme flow.
Plenty of stuff about The Sugarhill Gang online. Not what they seemed. Find Old School Flyers on Twitter if you want to see the originators.
Never a fan of the LA stuff back then. Same as I was never a huge fan later in the NWA era. NY, Philly and NJ were more my stuff mid to late 80s. Then there was Rawkus Records and all the Lyricist Lounge stuff. The rise of the South was huge and pushed it in whole new directions.
I could bore you for hours with tales of the 36 or so years I've listened to it. Mate's writing on the sides of trains, spinning on heads, cutting up on Technics. I might even post our first demo from '87 if you're lucky....

Fact is hip hop is no different to any other genre. There's good and bad. Me Rap as it's currently a low point but people like Marlon Craft, Dave East, Smoke DZA etc are still producing quality stuff.
It can be a marmite thing. But it's impact has been huge. It's language has permeated everyday speech,  it's style is everywhere and it's musical influence is massive.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

danpiesley wrote:

This has gone to three pages and no mention of proper old school hip hop, electro, street sounds, NY v's LA, Def Jam and all that caper!

I grew up on that shit from around 83 - loved it.  Gave up on Hip Hop with the advent of gangsta rap and all that.

I met Morgan Khan once. There was a Street Sounds event at the Queens Hotel. He seemed alright. Crashed and burned in the end. I remember Faze One his UK act playing The Warehouse. About 10 people went. Think that was the first time I met Westwood. I know he's a bit of a cock in some ways but he was great with us and he's pushed hip hop for decades and has the respect of the people that matter.

Been a while.
DJ Smile
Selecta Injectaaa...

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:

I remember hearing Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow when it came out. Probably on Radio 1 or something.

Strangely I remember similar except it was on TOTP and he was wearing a Deerstalker. However a check on youtube shows it was nothing like I remember. There's no hat!

79/80 seemed a great time for music as all sorts of stuff shown on TV was discussed at School the next day.

I haven't heard the Jonzun Crew since 84 when a lad at Poly told me of their greatness. I didn't listen I was into the Cocteau Twins and The Smiths at the time. It was a number of years later before another student made me listen to Mantronix. I didn't really get that either but Eric B and Rakim became a bit of a secret fave.

Here's Kurtis

Last edited by Mega Armageddon Chickens (Sun 04 Mar 2018 11:43 pm)

I'm not sure whether Scott le Rock was dead at this point this was released or not!

Kurtis Blow - I bet he lies awake at night thinking about that suit!

Then he goes all gangsta..

Is there a Beastie boy in this video?

Aim Low and miss...

Another bona fide, gold-plated, certified classic. Any more laid back it'd go to sleep.....genius...

Saw The Juice Crew tour at Rock City in Nottingham. Marley Marl, MC Shan, Bizmarkie, Kool G Rap and Polo, Roxanne Shante, Craig G etc. I bore people with this tune, but I reckon Kool G Rap's 16 is up there with the best I've heard, starts at 2.29....

Marley Marl was a genius. He was one of those that gave us the sampling we have now.

And arguably my favourite ever hip hop tune. Philly's finest. Got that perfect rough edge to the beat and samples that the best of the Golden Age stuff had. People would go mental for this tune....

The LP blew people's minds back then....

Another for the top ten....'I'm just hangin' out...with my friends'

Continuing your education....

If you look at top tens for rappers, this guy'll be at number one or thereabouts in most of them....

Bit of British. This was so far ahead of what other people were doing at the time. Simon Harris did a lot with the whole Music of Life label stuff...