Re: Rap music

Big L

Right, that's enough for now. Could be here until this time next year and still not run out of classics. I fucking love hip hop. Have done since all that West Street Mob and Newcleus stuff when I started high school and probably always will. Getting back to what the thread was about, don't let some of the shite that appears in the middle of crappy pop songs colour your view.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

I like this one too on a Britsh theme. I do have some concern that this will end with Derek B though

Last edited by Mega Armageddon Chickens (Wed 07 Mar 2018 11:44 pm)

Saw Derek B support Run DMC and Public Enemy at Brixton Academy. He was fucking shocking. Kept shouting 'ELP' (East London Posse). Didn't go down well with a lot of the crowd. That and the Raising Hell Tour in '86 with the Beasties and LL Cool J before it were some of the moodiest gigs I ever went to.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Another bona fide, gold-plated, certified classic. Any more laid back it'd go to sleep.....genius...

Shock horror - I actually like this one smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Another bona fide, gold-plated, certified classic. Any more laid back it'd go to sleep.....genius...

Shock horror - I actually like this one smile

Such a clever loop. Simple, just chugs along...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Saw Derek B support Run DMC and Public Enemy at Brixton Academy. He was fucking shocking. Kept shouting 'ELP' (East London Posse). Didn't go down well with a lot of the crowd. That and the Raising Hell Tour in '86 with the Beasties and LL Cool J before it were some of the moodiest gigs I ever went to.

I lad I used to play football with went to the Brixton Academy gig.88?

Someone asked whether he was the only white kid in the crowd. He responded he wasn't but was fairly confident he was the only public school kid.

I remember someone else telling me of the Beasties at Royal Court in 87 where he felt that the challenge had gone out to the American/Yankee Bar lot to see how fast they could get them off stage.

I was never that cool but I did see Schoolly D supporting BAD.

Last edited by Mega Armageddon Chickens (Thu 08 Mar 2018 9:01 pm)

I've been watching Prof and Jeru rap videos on YouTube.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Fri 09 Mar 2018 12:27 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

They were fucking mental gigs in some ways. Plenty of white folks in, a fair few with knives. People were getting rushed left, right and centre.
Some hip hop clubs could be very moody back then, especially if you were out of town. We were like The Warriors on the tube back West to our kid's house after Brixton.
I can't remember if I posted on here but when I hooked up with my old mate I went to all these nights with recently he reminded me that it was Kermit from Black Grape that tried kicking off with us at a warehouse party after The Hac near UMIST. I remembered it all getting a bit lairy but not who started it. We'd been talking to the lasses in Kiss AMC, one was his sister. Leaky Fresh sorted it I think. We ended up kipping in a waiting room in Victoria station. Lady who worked there took pity on us. PSV in Hulme was fucking terrifying. Went to PE at the Hummingbird in Birmingham, atmosphere couldn't have been more different. Very cool crowd. Happy days....

Travis Bickle wrote:

87/88 ? Played at Hammersmith the night before. Moody it was. Went with a tube pass and that was it

Take off hosers ...

Travis Bickle wrote:

A missed opportunity to crack a HELP more like joke!

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. It goes on for at least two hours because we've got a brand new Moog."

Last edited by Mega Armageddon Chickens (Sat 10 Mar 2018 11:18 am)

Are you knackered man....?

Travis Bickle wrote:

PSV in Hulme was fucking terrifying. .

I used to go to the Arch bar in Hulme early 2000s now and again. It was sound some nights but others it felt more moody than Sonnys in the early 90s. I went for a piss once and was instructed to have a toke on a rock pipe as some kind of test I think. Part of me was thinking, well when in Rome... but I went for the "do you mind if I don't?" line. Always felt nervous outside. Exposed like a horse in rough seas. It got shut down around 2010 when someone got shot outside.

Been listening to the Wu Tang first album again a lot recently. I'm not a massive rap fan but its dynamite. I love 'To Pimp a Butterfly' by Kendrick Lamar after reading about it on here as well.

There were some iffy places in Leeds but that was home. And we knew people through the pirate radio station, school, friends and that whole cousin of a neighbour's mate that can save your skin sometime.

Travis Bickle wrote:

There were some iffy places in Leeds but that was home. And we knew people through the pirate radio station, school, friends and that whole cousin of a neighbour's mate that can save your skin sometime.

I went there on acid a few times and it was certainly a testing experience. Saw someone with a bloody nose in the bog there once and asked him if he was ok (I was full on tripping). He just said ' yeah I just borrowed it from someone will pay them back later'. It span me right out when I saw people waiting for him outside with Stanleys ready. I ended up walking to Wetherby. I lived 7 miles from there but enjoyed watching the rabbits jumping about in the fields as dawn landed. I made some good friends in Sonnys. Sometimes wonder how they are doing now.

We went to a night at The West Indian Centre once and there were fuckers with shooters outside. Never been so fucking scared in my life. Some sound system beef apparently. Funny how people were wary of Chapeltown, talk to some of the lads there and they'd ask how do you think we've felt for the last 20 years in town!!
Black lad I've known since primary school that I DJ'ed with will tell you going south of the Lands Lane fountain was an 'adventure' in the 80s.
Did a night at PSV when someone was firing blanks and then a doorman got shot. We went out of a fire exit and ended up walking round the flats trying to find a road back into the centre.
Saying that, when Downbeat was in its prime I don't think I've ever enjoyed a night out as much. When hip hop nights are good they're mint. When they're not, bring bandages.....

Anyway, enough drama, time for some NY 'boom bap'....

Line from Method Man in there 'since Milk was Top Billin' and Lyte was riding the train'. Reference to the these..
Audio Two, Milk D and Gizmo

And MC Lyte

Back when the VW Jetta was the car to have in NY (seriously, there were so many references to Jettas in songs back then).
Hip hop's big on recycling. Audio Two hook

The cars cost a bit more now....

Travis Bickle wrote:

Funny how people were wary of Chapeltown, talk to some of the lads there and they'd ask how do you think we've felt for the last 20 years in town!!

Very good point. Was buying some resin from the car park at Hayfields once though and the car got stormed. Keys snatched through the open window, then wallets, rings, watches, trainers. About 15 of them. Fuck knows what we'd have done if my brass neck mate (who was mixed race) didn't walk up to the ringleader and grab him by the throat and say 'Give me my fucking car keys back now'. We got them back and learnt a lesson. I used to think "well I'm not racist so I'll be alright". Was still wary though.

Had that a bit back then but I think I was seen enough that I got left alone. The Cantor's corner urchins would target pissed up white lads but they'd never go into town. We all have our demons.
I know what people say about rap, all that braggadocio stuff, I'm this, I'm that, look at my chains, cars etc. Mmmm, 'Number 1 when it mattered anyone'?
Twitter accounts for fucking socks and trainers? A million threads about who did who at a tube station in the mid-80s and which terrace first felt the sole of an Indoor Court?
Skin colour may differ, young men don't.

Some more history. Late 90s I guess. The South rises again. Arguably one of the biggest shifts in hip hop since it started. Changed the look, the sound, the flow. Some reckon it killed New York as the Mecca as a result. If you ask me to choose, the essence of NY hip hop is what it's about for me, but there's good stuff from all over. This kind of sums up the shift....

A

Currently watching a live stream dedication to a battle rapper called 'Bender' (probably lost in translation over here). Yep, I'm that much of a fucking anorak. Nice tune...

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I went there on acid a few times and it was certainly a testing experience. Saw someone with a bloody nose in the bog there once and asked him if he was ok (I was full on tripping). He just said ' yeah I just borrowed it from someone will pay them back later'. It span me right out when I saw people waiting for him outside with Stanleys ready. I ended up walking to Wetherby. I lived 7 miles from there but enjoyed watching the rabbits jumping about in the fields as dawn landed. I made some good friends in Sonnys. Sometimes wonder how they are doing now.

Used to got to Sonny's with a mate after Tito's in Rothwell kicked out.  Loved it.  Off me load on whizz.  I drew the line at Twilight Zone only went once, that was scary.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Travis Bickle wrote:

A

Heard them on John Peel. Quite Extraordinary 'Crystal Palace every Summer, mispronouncing the Kenyan runners'. One of those lyrics I remember after 30-odd years.

I Ludicrous ... Scroobious Pip ...  bad song stuck in my mind

Take off hosers ...