Re: Language

I never hear them used these days, there just part of the vocabulary set that one uses at ones peril, as much for what it indicates about the user as any offence.

And that's not being Guardianista (and don't fuck about as you lads are columnists) it's just language from a different time, like 'no Irish' signs and pigeon lofts.

It signifies ignorance and stupidity.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Foxy Dread wrote:

Albert is a Mailista or an Expressista. Does that help.

I certainly am not, the only Uk press I read regularly is the Economist.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Reggie Perrin wrote:

It is a bit daft as surely everyone knows this word has been used exclusively as abuse for the last 40 years regardless of it's origin.  The word "boy" is not a racist word in itself but you add it to the endbof "what's your order" in a Louisiana diner and you've got trouble coming.
Insuspect AHH is wondering if it should be and could it be reclaimed but that surwly has to start with those on the end of the abuse.

I'm not actually, black guys using the word nigger makes me uncomfortable. Just amazed at the pace that everybody went hurtling towards indignation. I don't use Paki anymore and i have never used it as a term of abuse, merely as an adjective when I was younger and less sensative.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

albert herbert hawkins wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

It is a bit daft as surely everyone knows this word has been used exclusively as abuse for the last 40 years regardless of it's origin.  The word "boy" is not a racist word in itself but you add it to the endbof "what's your order" in a Louisiana diner and you've got trouble coming.
Insuspect AHH is wondering if it should be and could it be reclaimed but that surwly has to start with those on the end of the abuse.

I'm not actually, black guys using the word nigger makes me uncomfortable. Just amazed at the pace that everybody went hurtling towards indignation. I don't use Paki anymore and i have never used it as a term of abuse, merely as an adjective when I was younger and less sensative.

Well if you are not and we all accept that it is a used as a term of abuse and is offensive.  I'm not following why this was brought up.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

albert herbert hawkins wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:

Albert is a Mailista or an Expressista. Does that help.

I certainly am not, the only Uk press I read regularly is the Economist.

Whether you read them or not you still are one.

Yes Foxy, and I'm sure my Dads dog is puff.

Never, ever heard the term paki used fondly.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

I'm going to learn French.  Whose in?

Aim Low and miss...

Vous sont, Dan(s).

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Or should that be vous etes. I have a French O level. There is very little you can tell me about French, very little. Fin.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

danpiesley wrote:

I'm going to learn French.  Whose in?

Oui.  Moi aussi.

Serieusment.  I'm dans pour ca.  At the moment I just do this Franglais thing.  I'd love to parler parfait le frog.

Last edited by space (Sun 11 Mar 2018 11:03 pm)

People are Twats

I see Jim Davidson got interviewed by Piers Morgan recently...

Who was it who once said, 美しさは見る人の目にある ?

#DoTheDai \o/

king of the slums wrote:

I see Jim Davidson got interviewed by Piers Morgan recently...

Who was it who once said, 美しさは見る人の目にある ?

Was it Monk D'Wally De Honk?

People are Twats

I remember them rerunning Mind Your Language on NHK over here in the mid 90's as a programme to teach you English, funny as. The only racist thing the Japanese picked up on was them using a Cantonese fella to play the Japanese character, rest was fine and to be honest it was pretty funny even after all that time..

#DoTheDai \o/

Watching my little one respond to Japanese and English, and then calmly ignore both, is a thing of beauty. She's picking up new words every day and has a cracking Leeds accent with some words, but not all. It's crazy how quickly they pick it all up, but I guess growing 7 million neural connections every day would do that to you  smile

Last edited by king of the slums (Tue 13 Mar 2018 7:27 am)

#DoTheDai \o/

king of the slums wrote:

Watching my little one respond to Japanese and English, and then calmly ignore both, is a thing of beauty. She's picking up new words every day and has a cracking Leeds accent with some words, but not all. It's crazy how quickly they pick it all up, but I guess growing 7 million neural connections every day would do that to you  smile

Nice,  made me smile that

"Get yoursen down t'ramen house sharpish"

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I wish I'd learnt a language.. I always find it embarrassing that I don't have any other lingo yet every other nation seems to speak English so well. It's embarrassing really. I can order beer, wine, say thanks and order the la quenta in Spain but that's it..

Our lovely hosts her in kho samui, Francois and Caroline speak good English.. I have so far said jamapelle Danny.

What's French for dog?

They have one

Chien.

That's funny KOTS. I was recently talking about us moving house with the kids and was winding up my lad by saying that we might move to Yorkshire (he doesn't want to move schools). He thought I was being serious and his eyes welled up as he protested "But I don't know the language!!"  Kids are mental smile

Bought a German phrasebook today for a stag do in Hamburg next month. Never gonna use it, never gonna use it.

Vous sont is 'you are' - ay it Harvest?

I have downloaded this app in an attempt to help my lad who is doing GCSE in French Space.  It is also supposed to help old people with their brains.

I teach a lot of foreign students and this has really opened my eyes.  It is all the connectives.  I can remeber viande and pain and all tat caper but the you vous, etes, La, Le, tu, dans, une, un and doing my melon.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

I have downloaded this app in an attempt to help my lad who is doing GCSE in French Space.  It is also supposed to help old people with their brains.

I teach a lot of foreign students and this has really opened my eyes.  It is all the connectives.  I can remeber viande and pain and all tat caper but the you vous, etes, La, Le, tu, dans, une, un and doing my melon.

Quell app est ca?

People are Twats

Used to live in Spain, so have a reasonable level of Spanish, a smattering of Catalan and some basic Italian.

I want to have a go at German at some point. As English is a Germanic language it will be interesting to see how they match up.

Can't beat languages. Being a monoglot is just so, well, British.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

space wrote:
danpiesley wrote:

Quell app est ca?

Ses Duolingo.

Aim Low and miss...

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Chien.

That's funny KOTS. I was recently talking about us moving house with the kids and was winding up my lad by saying that we might move to Yorkshire (he doesn't want to move schools). He thought I was being serious and his eyes welled up as he protested "But I don't know the language!!"  Kids are mental smile

We moved from West Yorkshire to North Yorkshire and some of the kids at my daughters school think she’s moved from the other side of the world.   

“Bratfud, where’s Bratfud ?”

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Bought a German phrasebook today for a stag do in Hamburg next month. Never gonna use it, never gonna use it.

Hamburg is bonkers