Topic: Ark Survival X Box One

My lad's asking for this for his birthday - it's a 16 and he'll be 11. Anyone else or anyone's kids got it and is it suitable? Had a look at that Common Sense site where parents give stuff more appropriate age ratings and the concensus seems to be it's fine for younger kids.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Ark Survival X Box One

Harvest wrote:

My lad's asking for this for his birthday - it's a 16 and he'll be 11. Anyone else or anyone's kids got it and is it suitable? Had a look at that Common Sense site where parents give stuff more appropriate age ratings and the concensus seems to be it's fine for younger kids.

The game itself isn't too bad.  Basic premise is that you have to survive in a world inhabited by dinosaurs.  You gather resources and mine stuff and batter successively bigger dinosaurs to death while you build your living space.

The point of concern is that online other players can be mean cunts to each other.  There is no game mechanism stopping players with more advanced possessions and skills from using your lads virtual head as target practice.  I've witnessed really shitty bullying while watching my lad play this game when it came out.

If your kid is savvy about the fact other players might be twats to him and that he should walk away/report/change servers when they are, then he'll be fine.  But that can be said of just about online experience.

Editted to say...  The xbox online experience isn't as bad as the PC gaming experience as you have the safety valve of being able to report scumbags and hopefully get them banned.  My lad was playing this on the PC which seemed to be a very cunt rich environment.

Last edited by space (Mon 19 Mar 2018 1:30 pm)

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Re: Ark Survival X Box One

Cheers. I reckon I'll risk it.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.