Topic: Mass

Went to Mass today for the first time in two and a half decades and I feel so much better. What's that about? Serenity? Familiarity? Dunno. Odd.

I'll be back.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Re: Mass

I do it myself from time to time and always feel better afterwards.

It's our guilt kicking in.

Especially at this time of year.

Fifteen years

"We are The Fall"

Not been for longer than I can remember in this country. I do love churches abroad though.  Whenever I'm in Spain or somewhere similar I seek out the old church and have a look around. I went to mass in Barcelona a few years ago in the big gothic church and that was incredible. They didn't allow me in properly... I had to be at the back, but it was ace

My old man hasn't been a church-goer for about 60 years. He can still recite mass in Latin.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Committed atheist but love a church.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Brings back memories of your first sexual experience? wink

Yes, with Amelia Church.

Was in Wells cathedral Saturday, stunning building. I also like a church.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Harvest wrote:

Committed atheist but love a church.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/109D6/production/_88945086_chirsisrisen.jpg

Bless you my child.

scootay wrote:

Not been for longer than I can remember in this country. I do love churches abroad though.  Whenever I'm in Spain or somewhere similar I seek out the old church and have a look around. I went to mass in Barcelona a few years ago in the big gothic church and that was incredible. They didn't allow me in properly... I had to be at the back, but it was ace

Funny that. I did a photo shoot for a couple who are getting married next week and they wanted to have photos taken at a Shinto shrine, Buddhist temple, a mosque in Tokyo (Turkish) and also a Russian Orthodox church in the centre of town. First time in a mosque for me and it was beautiful and peaceful inside despite it being Friday and bedlam outside. I have a deep distrust for any organized religion, but the buildings themselves are very peaceful inside and I like visiting them for that reason, and the architecture of course.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

I much prefer a good square and compass

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

hendersonjones wrote:

The Pub or the Ancient order of Free Masonry?

placidcasual wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

The Pub or the Ancient order of Free Masonry?

Cant help thinking that there must of been some rather talented tradesmen to build such places centuries ago , why was so such time and energy and expense spent on these places of worship ? who paid for it ? was it for the mass majority of people at the time of construction , did it give them something to believe in keep the peace ?

Last edited by hendersonjones (Mon 02 Apr 2018 9:15 am)

Watched a fascinating documentary about the construction of York Minster a while back.
Apparently it took 250 years to build and countless lives were lost during the works.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Watched a fascinating documentary about the construction of York Minster a while back.
Apparently it took 250 years to build and countless lives were lost during the works.

1220 until 1472 , 250 years while the people who lived around it had poor diets disease and terrible living conditions with no sanitation or drinking water , why did they put up with such standards and living conditions , while the biggest cathedral minster was being built next to them at great expense

Last edited by hendersonjones (Mon 02 Apr 2018 10:10 am)

The opium of he people.

I prefer living in the real world. Look at the amount of money spent on churches, just to keep the masses quiet. 'Don't worry about your current shit life, you'll have a better after-life'. Bollocks to that. Get them open for the homeless, refugees and such.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

No Mas

Expanding Man wrote:

No Mas

its still got legs has this thread

http://www.giuliotortello.it/ebook/cathedral.pdf

I don't get caught up in religion. I like some of the iconography and the stories.. great toil no doubt and hardship while building something they might not get to see finished. I can imagine that these amazing tradesmen just took great pride in their work and thought they were doing something good

I Thailand I went to a few temples, love them. One night we went to one where the monks were present and doing their sermon for the locals.  We were invited in an sat perched on our knees with the congregation.. no idea what was going on but I liked it. I love architecture, always have, and some of the best is religious. Lighting a candle in a beautiful Spanish church is a nice thing to do. I would love to see the Sistine chapel.. that's on the list

Feeling guilty all day for not going again this morning. This is how they get you...

https://i.imgur.com/a4PfqVv.gif

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Mol wrote:

Feeling guilty all day for not going again this morning. This is how they get you...

Nah its when you go to Confession and tell them that you haven't been to Mass that the trouble starts.

Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:
Mol wrote:

Nah its when you go to Confession and tell them that you haven't been to Mass that the trouble starts.

Confession? Last time I went, was on my way to ER Easter Saturday `82 Coppell hit the bar and it finished 0-0.

I remember reading the paper and Argentina had invaded the Falklands. I thought they`d made a big mistake, because I honestly thought it was just off Scotland.

It`s not going to happen now is it "Forgive me Father for I have sinned it`s been 36 years since my last confession and here are my sins..."

________________________________________________________________________________