Topic: OJP & Leeds Welsh Society present a Libertino Records Showcase

The next Odd Job Promotions event is in collaboration with The Leeds Welsh Society and is a Libertino Records Showcase featuring ARGRPH, Los Blancos and Papur Wal.

Date - Saturday 30th June

Venue - Hyde Park Book Club, Headingley Lane, Leeds

Price - £5

Biographies of groups involved are:

ARGRPH:
ARGRPH exist in the gloaming – the space between night and day. Through sunshine ambience with twilight lyrical themes, ARGRPH create a soundtrack to dreams we lost in youth.

Starting off under a blanket of mystery, the music of ARGRPH could not remain hidden. After the inevitable gig offers came in, the band galvanised around Emyr Sion Taylor’s distinctive, surf imbued delicate melodies. Created out of a sense of isolation and with the stirring tide of Aberystwyth beach as a canvas for inspiration, Emyr painfully dug into his own psyche and wrote bruising and honest songs that are at once beautiful, yet also unsettling.

ARGRPH have established themselves as a ferocious live band saying a million different things and conveying a huge spectrum of emotions through a select choice of words and crashing chords. The Summer of 2017 saw the band play Wales’s most influential festivals in Green Man and Festival No 6.

With the release of two successful singles in ‘Tywod’ and ‘CYMORTH’ on the Libertino Record Label and the double A side 'Llosgi Mi / Llawn' ARGRPH are at the forefront of the new sound breaking out of Wales.

Los Blancos:

Los Blancos are the embodiment of the quiet confidence that underpins the Alt/Pop scene growing rapidly in Carmarthenshire, South West Wales. There is no compromise to Los Blancos's sound, they are unashamedly creatively open, with songs bursting with the drunken passion and abandonment of The Replacements and Mac Demaco's playful joy - the joy of creating within the four walls of the rehearsal space.

Los Blancos are a band bonded in friendship, Gwyn, Dewi, Emyr and Osian have known each other since school days. The band is an extension of that friendship where musical and lyrical honesty are paramount.

"Los Blancos are the band of which we would all like to be members, a classic line up of two guitars, vocals, bass and drums and a gift for turning the melancholic and insular into the universal. They are beat up converse, rusty strings, cheap beer and heartfelt lyrics written on the back of half empty cigarette packets. With a record collection in love with the left field American alternative scene of the early 90s Pavement, Brian Johnstown Massacre and the emotional punch that is Gwyn Rosser's voice this is a band re-defining Welsh pop music as one raw, immediate and relevant, a balm to a breaking world” - Libertino

Papur Wal:

Papur Wal are a four-piece slacker/art rock outfit originally from North and West Wales, based in Cardiff. The band are massively influenced by the 90s American underground movement. With pretty but ugly, Alt/Indie Rock with lethargic vocals and harmonies, infused with chorusy tones of alternately tuned guitars, wandering, melodic bass-lines and innovative drum beats. Papur Wal sing in both Welsh and English, following in the footsteps of the heroes of their adolescence such as Super Furry Animals and Gorky's Zygotic Monkey. The band members' met in University through their obsession for music, and finally decided to write and play songs together 2 and a half years later.

Tickets on sale via See Tickets or Jumbo Records or direct from myself.

Last edited by Odd Job (Thu 31 May 2018 10:57 am)

Re: OJP & Leeds Welsh Society present a Libertino Records Showcase

Grand

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Tidy.

Is there anywhere on Facebook or Twatter that we can help publicise this?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

What's the capacity of the Hyde Park Book Club? From the outside, the place looks tiny.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Have a look on Bryn's or Eddy Treloar's Twitter, should be something.

Tolley wrote:

What's the capacity of the Hyde Park Book Club? From the outside, the place looks tiny.

Not been in but looks ok: 

http://www.hydeparkbookclub.co.uk/

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Tolley wrote:

Not been in but looks ok: 

http://www.hydeparkbookclub.co.uk/

120. Venue part is in basement.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Have a look on Bryn's or Eddy Treloar's Twitter, should be something.

Eddy’s set-up a Facebook page. But i’m not on FB so can’t help you more than that.

Reg- you on Facebook?

Last edited by Odd Job (Thu 31 May 2018 8:59 pm)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … 1444089416

Cheers Reg.

This sounds like an ace gig. Unfortunately, I will be in Cornwall. sad

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

CharlieG wrote:

Unfortunately, I will be in Cornwall. sad

Never heard that before.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:
CharlieG wrote:

Unfortunately, I will be in Cornwall. sad

Never heard that before.

Well, I haven't been for years.....

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.