Topic: Camping it up

Annual Dad and lad week away in August. Need to do it on the cheap so maybe camping or cabins or something like that. Fancy Norfolk or that way on, something within about 3 hours drive from Leeds. Suggestions welcome.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Camping it up

Hard to beat The Lakes if you're off camping.

Yeh, good point. Just fancied Norfolk for a change. I'll consider anywhere. Anywhere cheap.

Flat though. He'll be bored by dinnertime unless you get on the water.

Harvest wrote:

Annual Dad and lad week away in August. Need to do it on the cheap so maybe camping or cabins or something like that. Fancy Norfolk or that way on, something within about 3 hours drive from Leeds. Suggestions welcome.

How old is young master harvest?

North Norfolk coast is good. Cromer, Sherringham, Wells by the Sea. Loads of stuff to do. Trip into Norwich for the day - lovely.
The Lakes are great but, in summer particularly, ain't cheap. The beer in the Dog & Gun has gone up to £4 a pint but there's always 'spoons.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

North Wales coast is lovely - especially around Nefyn

I'd recommend Pembrokeshire Coast 100% but not sure that fits into the 3hrs drive from Leeds bracket

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Did Wales 2 years ago, ace though.

Went to Norfolk a few years ago . Stayed in West Runton, in between Cromer and sheringham. Nice village and beach. Trainline runs through it  , sheringham one way Cromer other . Wroxham not far , higher a boat on the broads.
We had great weather, which helps .

To stand aside is to take sides.

Change of plan, thinking about Northumberland now.

Im attempting to go camping in August, plan is to catch train to Settle and walk to Goredale Scar. Dad and lads.

Most of my camping trips are calamatous and result in heavy drinking and fuck all sleep

Only camping I've ever done is at festivals years ago. Just never got round to it. Got a reasonably sized two man tent that I've put up once, to see how reasonably sized it is.

Just in case you change your mind again, these are my two favourite campsites:

http://www.beechcroftfarm.co.uk/

http://serenitycamping.co.uk/

First one situated between Bakewell and Buxton, second one near Whitby and Staithes. Both have a great shower block, which is essential in my book. Neither are in Northumberland though - sorry!

They look ace, thanks.

placidcasual wrote:

Im attempting to go camping in August, plan is to catch train to Settle and walk to Goredale Scar. Dad and lads.

Most of my camping trips are calamatous and result in heavy drinking and fuck all sleep

Rite of passage for the lads, if they survive it.

My three talk about the camping trip we did to Canada way more than they do Disney and all that shite people feel obliged to do with their kids.

Like.

My three - all over 21 - still talk about camping in the Dales/ Gower peninsula/North Norfolk/Lake District when they were kids. When I mention Greece/ Balearics holidays it's a case of " Oh, yeah.....they were alright" , then it's back to talking about a picnic near Reeth in horizontal rain and how much fun it was.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

I went to this place about five years ago - in fact it was my last ever camping trip.  We chased the sun and headed here.

http://www.byecrosscampsite.co.uk/

it was bar far the best camping experience I have ever had.  Open fires, camping in an apple orchard, the river Wye next to you (wild swimming), a pub down the road, camp site owner selling mental cider, canoe hire and amazing countryiside.  Hay on Wye is down the road as well.

Shell Island near Barmouth is also good if a little busy and opposite Shell Island a place called Nantcol is amazing.  Waterfalls carved out of millions of years of erosion creating deep natural plunge pools to hurl your self in and a decent river for pissing about in.  Admittedly all over your 3 hour limit.

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/

https://www.nantcolwaterfalls.co.uk/

Last edited by danpiesley (Thu 19 Jul 2018 9:45 am)

Aim Low and miss...

Northumberland you say? It depends on what you want to do but I can recommend the following:

Beadnell. Well placed just over the road from the beach, a  couple of miles from Seahouses, Bamburgh and Low Newton, plus a decent food boozer in the village. On the downside it's a Camping & Caravan Club site so not cheap and it gets busy.

Stonehaugh - middle of nowhere site north of Hadrians Wall. Lovely chilled site by a collection of old forestry workers cottages (village is too grand a description). You'll need to make your own entertainment but there's plenty of paths nearby, if you get a clear night the skies will be amazing, and there's a great - licensed - community centre right by.

Bellingham - deepest Northumberland, heading towards Keilder Water. Simple site; couple of fields almost in the centre of the village. Good base for exploring the area or just staying put. Several boozers, cafes and shops.

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/cam … eadnellbay

http://stonehaughcampsite.com

http://www.demesnefarmcampsite.co.uk

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

Tremendous, cheers.

Hadrian 's Wall.

Kevin Stapleton wrote:

Northumberland you say? It depends on what you want to do but I can recommend the following:

Beadnell. Well placed just over the road from the beach, a  couple of miles from Seahouses, Bamburgh and Low Newton, plus a decent food boozer in the village. On the downside it's a Camping & Caravan Club site so not cheap and it gets busy.

We've camped there. The campsite itself is functional, nothing special, but it's in a great location.

We were unlucky in being placed next to a camper van with its own generator, which judging by the noise, was powering the entire north east of England and much of southern Scotland.

Off to Dorset in 2 weeks with my Dad, son & daughter, whilst her in doors & my Mum go to a poncy Spa.

We are off to Dorset, by Portland bill. Miles from Leeds admittedly. Last year we went to St David’s & it lashed down.

On the itinerary is the effigy of Lawrence of Arabia & where he was buried. Weymouth beach & Corfe Castle, the village where Moonfleet was based

I am just a common breed