Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Is the titular reference a mistake or a completely intentional dig at Russia and the annexation of a Ukraine territory?  I'm not sure which I'd prefer to be true to be honest.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Went to the match last night. Thought Delph was outstanding, full of energy, Rashford too. Loftus-Cheek's one big unit. Costs Rica were poor. We're still reliant on possession, get to the halfway line, anything on? No? Back to the keeper.

Pissed all over Wembley for atmosphere, could do without the wanky band though.

Site stalwart.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Harvest wrote:

Went to the match last night. Thought Delph was outstanding, full of energy, Rashford too. Loftus-Cheek's one big unit. Costs Rica were poor. We're still reliant on possession, get to the halfway line, anything on? No? Back to the keeper.

Pissed all over Wembley for atmosphere, could do without the wanky band though.

Me too, sat in the Kop right next to the West Stand.
Agree with all of the above and despite not being a Henderson fan, thought he was excellent last night.
I don't mind it going back to the keeper and starting again, beats the old England which normally lumped it forward into nothingness or simply handed possession back to the opposition.

Enjoyable evening to be honest.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Anyone watch the Frankie goes to Russia thing on the Beeb?

Frankie Boyle is in Russia doing a segment on a club famous for soccer violence and he's trying to get an interview with hooligans and no one will talk to him.  Apparently the FSB has just been round the town knocking doors of the known faces and telling them in no uncertain terms that they're to stay at home for the next few weeks.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Went to the match last night. Thought Delph was outstanding, full of energy, Rashford too. Loftus-Cheek's one big unit. Costs Rica were poor. We're still reliant on possession, get to the halfway line, anything on? No? Back to the keeper.

Pissed all over Wembley for atmosphere, could do without the wanky band though.

Me too, sat in the Kop right next to the West Stand.
Agree with all of the above and despite not being a Henderson fan, thought he was excellent last night.
I don't mind it going back to the keeper and starting again, beats the old England which normally lumped it forward into nothingness or simply handed possession back to the opposition.

Enjoyable evening to be honest.

Did you bring your flag home?

Site stalwart.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

space wrote:

Anyone watch the Frankie goes to Russia thing on the Beeb?

Frankie Boyle is in Russia doing a segment on a club famous for soccer violence and he's trying to get an interview with hooligans and no one will talk to him.  Apparently the FSB has just been round the town knocking doors of the known faces and telling them in no uncertain terms that they're to stay at home for the next few weeks.

I saw it,  more next week

I suspect the hardest thing for him was that he's a recovering alcoholic and everyone was offering ropey vodka - he stuck with apricot juice along with the women

Russia's a funny place really.  Societal roles are so deep rotted that it'll take a seismic shift for it to change.  Pussy Riot showing a bit of flesh isn't going to cut it (not that they should stop trying obviously)

His style is a bit marmite.  One minute I'm laughing along thinking he's great;  the next I'm thinking he's trying to be too clever

I'll watch the rest mind

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Harvest wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Went to the match last night. Thought Delph was outstanding, full of energy, Rashford too. Loftus-Cheek's one big unit. Costs Rica were poor. We're still reliant on possession, get to the halfway line, anything on? No? Back to the keeper.

Pissed all over Wembley for atmosphere, could do without the wanky band though.

Me too, sat in the Kop right next to the West Stand.
Agree with all of the above and despite not being a Henderson fan, thought he was excellent last night.
I don't mind it going back to the keeper and starting again, beats the old England which normally lumped it forward into nothingness or simply handed possession back to the opposition.

Enjoyable evening to be honest.

Did you bring your flag home?


Of course!!
To be passed on to the eldest Grandson tonight.

Bit of a cunt carrying it all the way back to the train station afterwards though.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Harvest wrote:

Pissed all over Wembley for atmosphere, could do without the wanky band though.

need a subtle message re them being Ingurlands top boys being sent to the Russian Go-pro firm.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Who'll win it then?

Site stalwart.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Some footy team, probs der germans.

I've been suckered in by the excitement so booked the next two weeks off work to lay on my fat arse and wallow  in the feast of football

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Sat down with my boys last few evenings and worked our way through the games to the final.  Here's what's gong to happen:

RHS Jnr Jnr (age 7):  England win

RHS Jnr (age 8.75):  Argentina win;  England go out in 1/4 stage to Germany

RHS (age 48.95):  Germany win;  England go out in 1/4 to Germany

The youngest can't wait for it to start.  he's practically memorised every player in every team and is even watching old World Cups on the History Channel

Makes it a bit more interesting for me,  which is nce

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

And Spain sack their manager the day before it all kicks off !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467548

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
space wrote:

Anyone watch the Frankie goes to Russia thing on the Beeb?

Frankie Boyle is in Russia doing a segment on a club famous for soccer violence and he's trying to get an interview with hooligans and no one will talk to him.  Apparently the FSB has just been round the town knocking doors of the known faces and telling them in no uncertain terms that they're to stay at home for the next few weeks.

I saw it,  more next week

I suspect the hardest thing for him was that he's a recovering alcoholic and everyone was offering ropey vodka - he stuck with apricot juice along with the women

Russia's a funny place really.  Societal roles are so deep rotted that it'll take a seismic shift for it to change.  Pussy Riot showing a bit of flesh isn't going to cut it (not that they should stop trying obviously)

His style is a bit marmite.  One minute I'm laughing along thinking he's great;  the next I'm thinking he's trying to be too clever

I'll watch the rest mind

Worth it for the description of Boza alone.

Like a cross between a head injury and a badly made bed.

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

0i've never felt so unenthusiastic about an upcoming WC before.. Anyway, I always like to have a bet on the Golden Boot.

Thomas Muller + Robert Lewandowski, both 33/1 could give you a run for your money.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

USA, Canada and Mexico for 2028 - 48 teams. That Panini album's going to take some filling.

Site stalwart.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Harvest wrote:

USA, Canada and Mexico for 2028 - 48 teams. That Panini album's going to take some filling.

Does that mean all 3 get a free pass through qualifying?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

I'm with L.Q.  Feeling tired of the World Cup and it hasn't even started yet. I foresee hype, hysterical media, hooligans, money, more boring matches than exciting ones, players preening/diving/injury faking/haranguing the refs, etc. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

That said, if I were a gambling man, I'd put something on the Belgians to win it. Otherwise Brazil, Argentina or the Krauts.

Instead, after last week's absolute cracker, I'll be watching SA-England rugby for the next two Saturdays and then be waiting impatiently for the India cricket series to start--though with few expectations of the England team at test level.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

l.q.navarro. wrote:

0i've never felt so unenthusiastic about an upcoming WC before.. Anyway, I always like to have a bet on the Golden Boot.

Thomas Muller + Robert Lewandowski, both 33/1 could give you a run for your money.

If that shouldn't be the strap line for the next few weeks I don;t know what should.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

space wrote:
l.q.navarro. wrote:

0i've never felt so unenthusiastic about an upcoming WC before.. Anyway, I always like to have a bet on the Golden Boot.

Thomas Muller + Robert Lewandowski, both 33/1 could give you a run for your money.

If that shouldn't be the strap line for the next few weeks I don;t know what should.


bollocks - i'm looking forward to it smile

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

CBIT wrote:
space wrote:
l.q.navarro. wrote:

0i've never felt so unenthusiastic about an upcoming WC before.. Anyway, I always like to have a bet on the Golden Boot.

Thomas Muller + Robert Lewandowski, both 33/1 could give you a run for your money.

If that shouldn't be the strap line for the next few weeks I don;t know what should.


bollocks - i'm looking forward to it smile

Me too (see Post #36...)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Harvest wrote:

USA, Canada and Mexico for 2028 - 48 teams. That Panini album's going to take some filling.

Fack a dack!

It will go on for months!  Overkill?

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

I'm kind of looking forward to it, but in the wrong way.   It's like watching someone park at the top of a hill and get out of their car without applying the handbrake.  It's a "what happens next?" kinda thing.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

And we'll get an answer to the question "Just how shit are we?"

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Bring it on.

Site stalwart.

Share

Re: Russia World Cup 2018

Iā€™m looking forward to it. Even enjoyed that Danny Baker thing last night.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Share