Topic: Mike Gatting

I stood next to Mike Gatting for three stops on the Victoria line on Friday afternoon. 

Him of the recipient of the ball of the century, the most outrageous shouldering of arms defensive technique in all of cricket and the bloke who called Shakoor Rana a fucking cheat.  I felt in the presence of greatness.  He has achieved stuff.  Not just got his teeth done and gone to the gym.

I felt the same when I was in a shop and Robert Plant came in - it was a menders.  Anyway - he is a musical god - an absolute behemoth in the rock pantheon (not my cup of tea), I was in awe.  I felt in the presence of greatness.  He may of had his teeth done - unsure.

Aim Low and miss...

Re: Mike Gatting

Is Gat still small and rectangular

Best job I ever had was working as a steward at the Oval in 1991-92. Got it through an agency while I was at college. Occasionally I’d work in the pavillon, asking old colonels not to walk about during the overs, etc. I used to sit near the broadcast booths (Tony Lewis would always ask if I wanted a slice of cake). One day Gatting was being interviewed on camera, he leant back against my chair, turned around and said, “here, hold this” and handed me a plate piled high with cheese sandwiches. Interview over, he headed back to the dressing rooms, only to come running back to grab his plate. Fastest I ever saw him move. Always wanted to know if the back of my head was on telly (be a bit of a glare on the screen if it was these days).

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Any excuse...

“If it had been a cheese roll it would never have got past me”

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

I was at Lords last year for a bit of corporate T20 - Middlesex v Surrey

Gatt,  John Emburey and Angus Fraser were rolled out to mingle with us over free food and booze

Gatt stayed by the bar and buffet;  Emburey was surprisingly candid,  quite witty if a little up himself;  Gus Fraser was a really top bloke - making jokes about players,  about himself,  and generally being a nice guy

I got trousered and ended up getting an Uber back to Twickenham from Waterloo

Good night

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.