Topic: Lean on Pete - Willy Vlautin

Read  Don't Skip Out On Me by the same author and couldn't get hold of this fast enough.

Brilliant stuff.

"We are The Fall"

Re: Lean on Pete - Willy Vlautin

Got all of his books and most of his music - Richmond Fontaine/ Delines. Ace.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Film out now or soon.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I really like the Delines. The singers voice is really good

I am just a common breed

Vlautin serves up lean, biting prose out of the Hemingway/Steinbeck school. But behind those spare lines is much social and psychological depth. Lean on Pete imho is superb, as is the film version, which makes no sentimental concessions.  Don't Skip out on Me is good too, but parts of it seem less convincing. A fine writer, who captures life on the margins.

Jesus - i've been paid today and I can see a huge chunk going on Willy Vlautin and Richmond Fontaine.

Listening to 'Dont skip Out on me' now.  Lovely stuff.

https://richmondfontaine.bandcamp.com/a … ut-on-me-2

Aim Low and miss...

First copy of Lean On Pete that I had was printed up wrong. There's about 40 pages when he takes off with the horse, that ate from another book. I was thinking this is some nutty book for about five pages before the penny dropped.

That's a good observation Stienbeck/Hemingway. Like them both but I would have never made that leap.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Wed 27 Jun 2018 8:53 pm)

Woo hoo hoo

Thanks for the recommendation on this - I read half of Motel Life yesterday.  It's bloody ace.

Aim Low and miss...

under the arches wrote:

I really like the Delines. The singers voice is really good

Listened to , Colfax , loved it . What else is there ?
Thanks for a great recommendation.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Finished Motel Life.  Cracking read, bittersweet and the classic drifter/travel story.  Love the mild scratch it gives to the soft underbelly of of society and how quickly it ruptures and exposes the American dream for what it is.

Fully intent on wading into the remaining books of his now.

Aim Low and miss...

Tell me more about the American Dream and what it really is. I never seem to fully grasp these things

Woo hoo hoo

Cutsyke wrote:

Tell me more about the American Dream and what it really is. I never seem to fully grasp these things

Read Moon Palace by Paul Austere, gives a great explanation/angle on the American Dream and Manifest Destiny, which is at the root of it all.

Will have a look. Thanks. Is it much different to anyone else 's dream?

Woo hoo hoo

Just ordered 18 copies off Amazon. Thumbs.

Woo hoo hoo

I think as a phrase it works in situations.  The dream is obviously a house, kids, car, bit of cash, holidays and happiness.  America set itself up on that didn't it - going back to selling plots of land to people heading West in the 1800's.  The dream though that it is achievable for all.  Everyone can have a slice.  But that is balls as the american dream is built on some dodgy quick sand or something. 

The health care, the gun laws, the first amendment and old money in the east fuck it for everyone.  It's a third world country in essence.

That's my take on it anyway.

Aim Low and miss...

Thanks for the response. I watched a tv show about it and white picket fence came up a lot. I made a point of not having one.
It's a pretty modest dream.
I read about how we came to have the healthcare system we do. Pretty interesting to note the unions fought against an NHS style system once they had won health benefits for members.
I think the first amendment is one of the good ones.
How do gun laws tie into it? I'm not a fan but I don't see the connection.
I'm not sure it's a third world country. You could argue first world countries are not as good as we are lead to believe. Large parts of Europe have staggering poverty and barriers to advancement for many.
One thing I do like about America is a second chance, or third, or fourth. Maybe that exists elsewhere too but nowhere is it celebrated quite like here.

I realise I've gone off topic a bit but that's kind of how OMJ used to work when it worked best.

Woo hoo hoo

Cutsyke wrote:

It started pretty much with painters. The first people who went out West painted these luminous landscapes of paradise. Those foraging across the country from the East and North East held these paintings up as almost mythical prophecies. Manifest Destiny. We are the chosen people. We have been selected by God to live in heaven on earth.
It's not that much different to any other race of people who believe they have been selected by God. Except the Europeans who believed in Manifest Destiny had a bountiful playground to call home.

Last edited by Rudi (Tue 10 Jul 2018 9:02 pm)

Rudi wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

It started pretty much with painters. The first people who went out West painted these luminous landscapes of paradise. Those foraging across the country from the East and North East held these paintings up as almost mythical prophecies. Manifest Destiny. We are the chosen people. We have been selected by God to live in heaven on earth.
It's not that much different to any other race of people who believe they have been selected by God. Except the Europeans who believed in Manifest Destiny had a bountiful playground to call home.

Sounds a bit like folk from Middlesbrough and 'Ull when they came upon the West Riding

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Cutsyke wrote:

Thanks for the response. I watched a tv show about it and white picket fence came up a lot. I made a point of not having one.
It's a pretty modest dream.
I read about how we came to have the healthcare system we do. Pretty interesting to note the unions fought against an NHS style system once they had won health benefits for members.
I think the first amendment is one of the good ones.
How do gun laws tie into it? I'm not a fan but I don't see the connection.
I'm not sure it's a third world country. You could argue first world countries are not as good as we are lead to believe. Large parts of Europe have staggering poverty and barriers to advancement for many.
One thing I do like about America is a second chance, or third, or fourth. Maybe that exists elsewhere too but nowhere is it celebrated quite like here.

I realise I've gone off topic a bit but that's kind of how OMJ used to work when it worked best.

Don't lots of people use the first amendment as an excuse to be rude/racist?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It's the BS Tommy Robinson and his mob spout in their defence of being racist.

Gun laws.  In my world view I see it has a hindrance of the American dream ( I use this again as a phrase for an aspiration of a normal* life in America).  The obvious shootings, the complete apathy to try and eradicate this, then monosyllabic argument for the right to bear arms and then the money - the NRA and all that guff that props it up.  I don't see how a forward thinking, progressive country and the right to bear arms will ever go hand in hand and that, to me, is a hindrance to a society.  It is bent and will forever remain bent.

Third worlds as it has huge swathes of extremely poor and destitute people, like the UK and India and plenty of other countries but they are just collateral.

Are you an ex pat or an American?

*what ever normal is

Last edited by danpiesley (Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:33 am)

Aim Low and miss...

I think we are in agreement with the third world description.
The other two, I'm not sure how they tie in with house, kids, car, holidays etc...
Not a fan of guns. You can say what you want but there are still consequences. I think that is preferable to censorship.

Expat.

Woo hoo hoo