Topic: Salford City Away

FT: 2-1 Att: 2632

'Plastic prima donnas'. That was the verdict of the bloke behind us regarding our hosts. As well as his disdain for clubs with rich benefactors, we also learnt of his 52 years watching Town. My god he must have suffered over the years.

A new ground for both of us. Going was a last minute thing in some ways. Work finished earlier than expected for me and, when I texted home, the Mrs reckoned Hannah was keen to go. I'd worried about it being late etc, but she's off school so why not.

They've completely rebuilt the ground since the cameras first turned up for the fly-on-the-wall documentary. It has the look of a Subbuteo stand. Or maybe one made of Lego. All new paint and metal terraces. Very swish. But the portaloos and burger van behind the away end tell you you're still in the non-leagues. They've obviously got ambition. And cash. Their signings this season show that. Rooney, their recent acquisition from Aberdeen, ended up being their match winner. Town couldn't dream of paying for a player like that. I think they picked up four players from League One on free transfers, but they'll have come with League One wages. Keep saying it, narrow margins for some. Not for Salford.

Town had a big following. Fairly short journey and an unbeaten start meant the away standing and seats were pretty much full. That means about 1000 away fans. Not sure where the other 1600 were to be honest. Gary Neville was there. He handed over the matchball to the ref with a disabled Town fan called Adam Heslop. Neville has got to know him through Twitter and they meet up whenever the teams play. Nice touch.

There was a real sense of expectation before the game. 20 places between them meant there could only be one result....mmmm.

Town had signed Simon Lenighan from Guiseley and he made the starting 11. Really not sure why after his performance. Just didn't seem ready. Poor touches and misplaced passes. Probably not a fair judgement so early, but a lot were questioning why he'd been bought. Need to give him time. I knew I remembered the name (it wasn't from his stint as a junior with Leeds or his time at Harrogate Town. Google will reveal all).

Anyway, as I say, I was surprised he started and stayed on as long as he did. Someone suggested Fullarton had picked him to stop them playing. Another terrace wag reckoned he'd stopped Town playing.

They were frustrating tonight. Sat too deep, lacked shape and, for nearly 90 minutes, gave the ball away so cheaply. I did wonder why Cameron King didn't start. Maher had a poor game and the midfield lacked some bite as a result. Salford are clearly better than the 21st place they started the game in but Town should have got something.

They took the lead and it seemed like Town were always on the back foot after that.

Town's equaliser from Kosylo roused the away contingent and the noise was impressive (caught Hannah singing again bless her). The young ones were up out of the terrace and on the perimeter barriers but the stewards were great. Big lumps but they just let them have a bit of a jump around before getting them back in. So many these days would have gone OTT.

Fullarton took Kosylo off after 78 minutes. Again, not sure why. He's a player that can change a game. Bringing Preston on gave the impression he'd settled for the draw. The fans were still in good voice but the joy was relatively short-lived. Their second goal looked like a soft one but the seats were so near pitch level it was hard to tell. Town then had to chase the game. They had chances. Some reckoned they were worth a point but I'm not sure. Edwards had one of the frustrate games. He'll probably score a couple next match. Southwell played quite deep which seemed to limit his chances. Just not quite happening for them tonight.

She was fast asleep before we were back over the border but still happy when we got in.

Dagenham and Redbridge at home on Saturday. Should be back to winning ways. And they're still fourth. We're off to France on Sunday. The fixtures have been kind. Only missing Gateshead at home....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DklNEcCWsAA-e6G.jpg:large
It was pretty much full by kickoff....

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Wed 15 Aug 2018 6:33 am)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Salford City Away

Great as always

I was keeping an eye on SKY Sports News last night for the Leeds updates and found myself strangely drawn to the Salford v Halifax result - even uttered a "bollocks" when Salford got the winner

She'll be a tried bunny today but will have lots of memories to look back on

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

P.S.  Yer man Lenighan sounds a right c*nt - not someone you want your 9-year old daughter cheering on

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

P.S.  Yer man Lenighan sounds a right c*nt - not someone you want your 9-year old daughter cheering on

Whatever his football talents (he blew hot and cold, more the latter than the former in the games I saw him), he came with a lot of baggage, and his arrival at Guiseley caused a lot of disquiet.

Normally the club makes some sort of announcement when a player moves on, but I don't remember seeing anything for him.

I saw our local team play Salford City in the eighth tier of the pyramid some years ago. Danny Webber was playing for them and was according to their fan on big money.

The next season Mrs MAC saw publicity shy TV champions league pundit Paul  Scholes watching the match and the apparent mystery of the money started to become clear.

The must missed cordshoes may be able to enlighten us but I can't see what connection Scholes and the Nevilles have to Salford, who were until recently an absolute nothing club.

Mind you I support Leeds

Three or four years later they're getting decent crowds and threatening promotion in what looks a cracking league. Not to mention the nauseating TV coverage.

Still at least it gives supporters a chance to visit the no doubt up and coming suburb of Kersal.

Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:

I saw our local team play Salford City in the eighth tier of the pyramid some years ago. Danny Webber was playing for them and was according to their fan on big money.

The next season Mrs MAC saw publicity shy TV champions league pundit Paul  Scholes watching the match and the apparent mystery of the money started to become clear.

The must missed cordshoes may be able to enlighten us but I can't see what connection Scholes and the Nevilles have to Salford, who were until recently an absolute nothing club.

Mind you I support Leeds

Three or four years later they're getting decent crowds and threatening promotion in what looks a cracking league. Not to mention the nauseating TV coverage.

Still at least it gives supporters a chance to visit the no doubt up and coming suburb of Kersal.

The ground seemed to be pretty much in the heart of the Jewish area, felt more Prestwich than Salford. You do wonder what stick some of the locals have to put up with from some of the less-enlightened away followings (trust me, there ain't much enlightenment with many of Town's travelling horde).
There was a similar feel to Fylde about the whole set-up in many respects, a sense a lot of it was artificial. From the new stands down to the 'Ammies' nickname, it all seemed a bit contrived.
That may well be what someone once called them but you got the impression it was being promoted as a name to give them some sense of history. Same with them playing 'Dirty Old Town' before kickoff.
They'll undoubtedly climb higher but you wonder how long the money will remain. Halifax, like so many lower and non-league clubs, are still with us (albeit in something of a new incarnation with 'FC' at the front) because they have a past, they've suffered highs and lows (more of the latter for Town). The fanbase may be small but it's there. That hardcore won't go elsewhere and there's enough of them to keep it going. Look at teams like York. They may get back in the League one day no matter how far off it seems now.
Salford don't have that I suspect. Having said that I see more and more why people go to non-league in general. Yes there's a 'listening to Shack in reissues and talking about the French side that won the '84 Euros' element to it for some, the whole 'against modern football' thing, but it's also just a bit more laid back. It's easier if that makes sense. It's cheap, you can park and get tickets without joining clubs and online purchasing sites, you get the idea.
In Salford's defence, with the exception of Dirty Old Town, they played some good tunes before the match. We shared a nod along to The Stone Roses' Waterfall.
She asked what it was afterwards so I've that part of her musical education to thank them for....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:

Mind you I support Leeds

The ground seemed to be pretty much in the heart of the Jewish area, felt more Prestwich than Salford. You do wonder what stick some of the locals have to put up with from some of the less-enlightened away followings (trust me, there ain't much enlightenment with many of Town's travelling horde).
There was a similar feel to Fylde about the whole set-up in many respects, a sense a lot of it was artificial. From the new stands down to the 'Ammies' nickname, it all seemed a bit contrived.
That may well be what someone once called them but you got the impression it was being promoted as a name to give them some sense of history. Same with them playing 'Dirty Old Town' before kickoff.
They'll undoubtedly climb higher but you wonder how long the money will remain. Halifax, like so many lower and non-league clubs, are still with us (albeit in something of a new incarnation with 'FC' at the front) because they have a past, they've suffered highs and lows (more of the latter for Town). The fanbase may be small but it's there. That hardcore won't go elsewhere and there's enough of them to keep it going. Look at teams like York. They may get back in the League one day no matter how far off it seems now.
Salford don't have that I suspect. Having said that I see more and more why people go to non-league in general. Yes there's a 'listening to Shack in reissues and talking about the French side that won the '84 Euros' element to it for some, the whole 'against modern football' thing, but it's also just a bit more laid back. It's easier if that makes sense. It's cheap, you can park and get tickets without joining clubs and online purchasing sites, you get the idea.
In Salford's defence, with the exception of Dirty Old Town, they played some good tunes before the match. We shared a nod along to The Stone Roses' Waterfall.
She asked what it was afterwards so I've that part of her musical education to thank them for....

I saw Halifax over here as well when Aspin was manager and their supporters were probably the best of the non league big clubs that have been to Bamber Bridge in recent years. They were up for Leeds in the TV cup game v Spurs that evening which surprised me.

AFC Fylde are a bit of a funny one coming from the earlier amalgamation of Kirkham and Wesham. I remember talking to one of their fans who was tellng us that they were massively ambitious and aiming for the league which seemed a bit of an odd conversation given the 8th tier game going on.

They were quite a strong side in the West Lancs before that.

I know a few over North Preston who go as they've been priced out of league games and because its more fun. The gap is closing in terms of price though

AFC Fylde are in a bit of a nether world in terms of support . Kirkham is not the biggest of places, the Fylde name wouldn't encourage support from Preston and the Preston post code probably doesn't sit to well with those from the Blackpool area despite the collapse of Blackpool in recent times. Probably best left to the employees of BAe who think they run the place.

The problem with clubs like Salford and Fylde is that they've attracted a fanbase of people who don't really support them and are not massively bothered as you alluded to.

This isn't the case with the vast majority of clubs in the lower regions of the football pyramid.

I'm still amazed by the wierdos and social misfits that turned up when Bradford Park Avenue and Scarboro were in town not to mention those from FC who somehow feel that they are superior to the non league fanbase yet have more in common with Salford and Fylde than they would care to admit

Keep the posts going Travis I'm keeping a keen eye on the HTFC results.