Topic: Dagenham & Redbridge at home....

FT: 2-1 Att: 1364 (50 away fans)

Peter Taylor! Peter f***ing Taylor. I'd forgotten he was still manager at Dagenham. His managerial roster looks like a list of football quiz answers. From Dartford to Dagenham with stops at such disparate destinations as Kerala and Crystal Palace on the way. Oh, and a game managing England.
Someone reminded him he wasn't in the Premier League anymore today. He actually turned and scowled. His suit looked like he'd got it at a charity shop for a court appearance. How the mighty have fallen in some ways but his tan suggested he still gets a Spanish round of golf in now and then.

Town were second best on Tuesday at Salford. A much better performance today but it was an still ugly win.

From the off it became pretty clear that a lot of the faithful are not prepared to give Lenighan a chance. The forums have been full of moral outrage at his signing given his pretty chequered history off the pitch. His time on it wasn't much better today although he improved on Tuesday night. If Town are to get anything out of this season they need to firm up the midfield. The loss of Collins to management at Bradford City shows when they need someone to get a foot on the ball in the middle of the pitch and hold possession. He was in the twilight of his career but his experience and knowledge were invaluable. I think Cameron King could move up the leagues eventually (he was on the bench again today) but if an old-stager can be found it could be the secret to a high finish.

Lenighan seemed a bit off the pace at the start of the game, at times sitting too deep in front of the back four. That gave Dagenham more space than was healthy as Maher wasn't at his best. After a promising first 10 minutes or so, the away team started to string passes together and look threatening. Johnson kept Town in it with a cracking save from a McQueen free kick.

I was chatting with the blokes behind us about Johnson. He's a great shot stopper and pulls off some acrobatic stuff but he seems nervous and indecisive on crosses and when coming out to gather the ball. You get the impression that he doesn't shout at his back four which leads to confusion and, at times, panic. It's like so many things in football, once you notice it you see it all the time. A fair few moments today where he could easily have come and claimed the ball but didn't.

Town took the lead through Kosylo. Again. A lovely cut back inside in the area and he beat the keeper at his near post. He's five foot nowt but it tells you all you need to know that in today's programme Q and A with Niall Maher, he had Kosylo as the one in the team that would win a fight. Hannah wasn't happy at him being subbed off on Tuesday but reckoned today he'd earnt his rest when Fullarton took him off with minutes to go.

The equaliser came from a failure to clear and from Johnson failing to command the area. It was the classic soft goal. And led to a few minutes of Dagenham pressure. It's a wide open division. They're almost propping it up but were still capable of playing some decent stuff. The gaps aren't massive.

Johnson pulled off another outstanding save shortly after the break. The natives were getting restless. One elderly member of the faithful near us spent most of the game lambasting Lenighan, the 'coloured' lad who should go back to Guiseley. Hannah looked at me and mouthed 'coloured' with an incredulous look on her face, 'he's black Dad, black'. Bless her.

The club issued a statement this week about his 'short-term contract' saying that everyone deserves a chance and that his attitude is currently right. To be fair he improved in the second half and a lot of the criticism was uncalled for. Tomlinson and Maher pass to nobody, they're unlucky. Lenighan gets sloppy? He useless.

Town took the lead on the hour through Edwards. I was convinced Clarke scored but it seems Edwards got the last touch. I said before he might be someone who frustrates. He's starting to prove me wrong. He was the first taken off and deserved the applause. Same with Southwell. He's turning into a real favourite. He was knackered when he came off which wasn't surprising. He does so much work up front. Hannah's happy as she has his number, 9, on her shirt.

The game was far from a classic but these are the ones that really matter at the end of the year. At the risk of lapsing into appalling cliche, a win is a win.

We go to France tomorrow and Hannah was working out the games we won't make. The gods have been kind and we're only missing Gateshead at home on Bank Holiday Monday.

Town are second. One bloke was having a pop at Fullarton even when Town were ahead with 10 or so to go. You do wonder what some people watch football for. If 4 wins out of 5 and second place isn't good enough you need to f*** off and support Man City or Real f***ing Madrid. Hannah's eye roll said it best.

Next few games will let us know just where Town are at. Some decent teams including a Tuesday night visit to Wrexham. Hannah starts back at school the next day so can't go. I'm still off work that week.......

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Sun 19 Aug 2018 10:49 am)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Dagenham & Redbridge at home....

Developed a soft spot for Halifax from reading your posts Travis

Struggling In The Vortex, With My Jacket Made of Goretex, It Fits Wonderfully

I like the "once you see something you can't stop it seeing it" line about the keeper - happens all the time

Halifax Town might be usurping Dundee United as my (distant)second team......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

humphrey plugg wrote:

Developed a soft spot for Halifax from reading your posts Travis

I do find myself regularly checking on flash scores the vanarama scores when they're playing...

A few at work have said they always look for their score.

Driving down to the Channel Tunnel yesterday and Hannah was spotting National League teams, Ebsfleet, Dagenham, Maidstone, Dover.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

A few at work have said they always look for their score.

Driving down to the Channel Tunnel yesterday and Hannah was spotting National League teams, Ebsfleet, Dagenham, Maidstone, Dover.

Met a guy on the train on Saturday night going from Wigan to Manchester. He supported Dover Athletic, had been to see them at Fylde. He lived in Manchester now. Only went to games near his home. He was worried in case they went down this season. Not may teams from around Manchester in National League South

Not a grey-haired bloke with a beard? Met a bloke who lived up North and followed them last season.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Not a grey-haired bloke with a beard? Met a bloke who lived up North and followed them last season.

Don’t think so, I was a bit pissed but don’t think he had a beard.