Re: Preston (h) - League Cup

That should ground them for the more important game on Friday.

All the fancy passing and closing down, nowhere to be seen. Couldn't cope with Preston's tactics of killing the game and counter attacks. Fantastic second goal, got it in the centre circle with four Leeds players bear him, carried it to the edge of the area and whacked it in.

Never a good thing to go out of any competition, never good to lose, the rot can set in.

Last edited by Harvest (Tue 28 Aug 2018 10:38 pm)

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Alioski was back to normal, Jannson got his usual fake head injury, Saiz moaning at the ref - this is the Leeds I know.

Roberts and Harrison offered nothing of note. Shaugnessy was poor as was Jansson to be honest. Apart from when he had to challenge and block stuff. His passing (as well as Phillips, Blackman, Dallas) was poor.

Shackleton I thought did ok in that position and possibly with stronger players around him he could really have a go at that role in seasons to come.

Harrison though. Christ, if ever there is a player who is suffering from Mick "Basil" Rathbone's Performance anxiety he's it. He clearly has ability. In his last two games that I have seen there has been incidences where the ball has been sailing out the sky and he's controlled it with near perfect touch. Whilst under pressure.

HOWEVER, he shit himself tonight. In the first half he got caught with the ball 4 times when all he had to do was complete a simple pass if nothing was on. It's almost like he's wide player with skill but is too scared to use it. The most interesting thing about his performance for me was how when we'd made all our subs and Roberts was taken off, Harrison actually improved. Almost like it was a reassurance.

Sadly the rest of the team did not. Although it's hard to single out anyone who was really bad it was a group malaise. If I had to pick out notable areas or positions that we were lacking I'd say Centre Back, Right Back, Left Attack, Right attack and the 10 role.  Once we'd gone 2 down it was too late tonight. We needed an early goal in the 2nd half, once it had gone past 65 mins we were fucked.

Their antics in time wasting made us play right into their hands, snatching at stuff, taking wild shots form distance. Getting involved with the ref and the players.

Still, we were always going to get beat sometime. If we get 4 points from the next two games no one will give a flying fuck about tonight, me included. The real test is Boro and Millwall. 2 physical sides who know how to defend and play against fancy dans.

Its a slap around the chops, we are going to have teams try these tactics time and time again this season and we need to know how to deal with them. As said above, as long as we can get some points the next two league games, that will tell us exactly how far we have come.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Roberts picked as the 2nd LCM before Ideguchi might come back to haunt us.

#DoTheDai \o/

Down to earth bigtime.
Bielsa will have learnt more in that game than all before.

As stated,the response Friday night will tell us something.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Down to earth bigtime.
Bielsa will have learnt more in that game than all before.

As stated,the response Friday night will tell us something.

Agreed, a bounce back is vital, otherwise the capitulation may arrive a little sooner than last year. Thats said, this team is playing far better football than this time last year.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Oh dear. Bielsa needs to get them disciplined tout de suite. This bunch can and do go walkabout.

Perhaps Leeds even at their best haven't been as good as you think and everyone is getting carried away prematurely.

Let me explain, the XG doylems reckon Leeds have been scoring more goals than can be reasonably expected based on the quality of chances created and they would say that unless Leeds start to create more or better chances their results won't be so good in the future.

XG goals v Norwich.
Norwich 0.54 v Leeds 0.58.

They reckon Alioski would only score one in 20 shots based on his shot position for the goal. Hernandez one in 25 shots, and Klich one in 10.

Against Stoke and Derby they also say the result was very flattering to Leeds.

There is a logic to the XG method, but it's lumping together of data is a weakness. Take Hernandez's goal, if you shoot from there it might be one in 25, however if you have the time and opportunity to set yourself up and gently curl it into the net Id bet it's a lot less than one in 25, the XG method doesn't make any differentiation.

I think it was Mol who said on here or Twitter that they'd stopped all the backchat and arguing with refs. It was all back last night, Alioski shoving their subbed player off, Saiz in the ref's face. Pretty tedious to see and we just played into their hands.

Harvest wrote:

I think it was Mol who said on here or Twitter that they'd stopped all the backchat and arguing with refs. It was all back last night, Alioski shoving their subbed player off, Saiz in the ref's face. Pretty tedious to see and we just played into their hands.

This is the scary bit to be honest. When you boil it all down, and the pressure is on, what have they learnt? we shall see in the next few weeks...

They're just trying to impress the new girlfriend. They'll revert to type soon enough.

Fed up!

https://twitter.com/placid_casual/statu … 9911940104

Ha ha, bold work whoever did this.