Topic: three coins club

anyone remember this 60s venue on lower basinghall street top of the alley where the konkadora coffee bar was,it was a great live music joint,i saw nashville teens, wayne fontana ,dave berry,toggery five(later sad cafe)unit four plus two ,and jimmy saville was always there, the resident dj was toni teret great days and cheap too 20p entry.

Re: three coins club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axy7-gzAXAM

Excellent.

Barabassdy, the dawning of a new OMJs era. Tell us more, pisses all over our poor Warehouse thread.

barabassdy wrote:

anyone remember this 60s venue on lower basinghall street top of the alley where the konkadora coffee bar was,it was a great live music joint,i saw nashville teens, wayne fontana ,dave berry,toggery five(later sad cafe)unit four plus two ,and jimmy saville was always there, the resident dj was toni teret great days and cheap too 20p entry.

Finally...  a poster older than myself.....

met Jimmy Saville a few times as he got involved in fund raising stuff my dad did - I even smoked one of his trademark cigars.  He was a card.  He was always with Dawn wots-her-name who played Bet Lynch.  But I think I was still in nappies when the three coins club was going.

Eating tofu and hating it.

spacecadetdave wrote:
barabassdy wrote:

Finally...  a poster older than myself.....

met Jimmy Saville a few times as he got involved in fund raising stuff my dad did - I even smoked one of his trademark cigars.  He was a card.  He was always with Dawn wots-her-name who played Bet Lynch.  But I think I was still in nappies when the three coins club was going.

my parents knew jimmy saville as he was a member of their cycling club in Holbeck,in fact they lived with
him for a few weeks in consort terrace off burley road in the fifties, even then he was a real sharp mover who knew what he wanted,
anothe club i remember was the Bilu Gardenia off Boar Lane again it was a coffe bar with a room downstairs where live groups played the stage was so small you could literally touch the pwerformers,one group  in particular were "the Outer Limits"who later became "Christie" named after their leader jeff christie he was a cool bloke and used to chat with the punters
after performing, he lived up scott hall road and id often pass his house going to work and see him loading the group van with gear,another venue was the "central " near the corn exchange you went there if you fancied some bother as it was a real battling place , i also recall me and a buddy walking past the Odean one night when Roy Orbison was appearing there as we past everyone suddenly came outside ,we stoppede and wondered what was going off when the manager appeared and told everyone the fire alarm was over and they could go back inside, so me and my mate went in with them and saw the "Big O" for free,well the second half that is

keep it coming are you boococks mate?

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

Bloody Hell, at last somebody my own age on this site. I put a post on here about a year ago re the Three Coins and the BG club, El Toro, Del Rio etc and was told I belonged on Secret Leeds site!
Yeah, used to be a regular there in 1964/5. Saw Memphis Slim, Dave Berry, Georgie Fame, Moody Blues and loads of others. Had a brush with fame when Denny Laine bought me a beer in the Golden Cock (later Precinct) when the Moodies were playing. Do you remember that big Egyptian bouncer on the door? He once twatted my mate for "looking at him" Used to go inthe Blue Gardenia regular when that mental Hairdresser Barnett used to go in. Also Daz. Did the Central as well on the Soul and Ska nights, and the Peel, downstairs was always a bit lively.
On the subject of Savile, hate the perverted twat with a passion. Once tried touching up my daughter when she was about 12 and she told him to fuck off. That picture of him and his pal Bruno befriending Peter Sutcliffe in Broadmoor turned my stmach.
Anyway, JS aside, great thread and thanks for the memories.

Forgot to mention the resident group in the Coins, the Blue Sounds. Remember that drummer with the cig permanently hanging from his mouth? That DJ was a bit off the wall as well, George? I remember the Outer Limits winning the battle of the band at the Queens Hall in 1964. The Cresters were a good band at the time as well. I remember thrashing Liverpool  4-2 as well in our first home game back in Div 1. Happy days. yikes:o

I remember the Central. Lively? And some, that was a rough hole. Only went there once or twice. Northern Soul wasn't my thing. Didn't seem many girls at all, I remember and the few that were there were dead hard.

Last edited by gorefidel (Tue 03 Nov 2009 11:45 am)

gorefidel wrote:

I remember the Central. Lively? And some, that was a rough hole. Only went there once or twice. Northern Soul wasn't my thing. Didn't seem many girls at all, I remember and the few that were there were dead hard.

Once went into the Central with a bird called Maggie from Woodhouse who I'd been going out with, she got in a fight and got her wig pulled off. Been going out with her for 4 weeks and didn't even know she wore one.

I luv white wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Once went into the Central with a bird called Maggie from Woodhouse who I'd been going out with, she got in a fight and got her wig pulled off. Been going out with her for 4 weeks and didn't even know she wore one.

big_smile Classy place that was.

Finally, Gore gets to be one of the younger ones.

Cutsyke wrote:

Finally, Gore gets to be one of the younger ones.

roll

I luv white wrote:

Bloody Hell, at last somebody my own age on this site. I put a post on here about a year ago re the Three Coins and the BG club, El Toro, Del Rio etc and was told I belonged on Secret Leeds site!
Yeah, used to be a regular there in 1964/5. Saw Memphis Slim, Dave Berry, Georgie Fame, Moody Blues and loads of others. Had a brush with fame when Denny Laine bought me a beer in the Golden Cock (later Precinct) when the Moodies were playing. Do you remember that big Egyptian bouncer on the door? He once twatted my mate for "looking at him" Used to go inthe Blue Gardenia regular when that mental Hairdresser Barnett used to go in. Also Daz. Did the Central as well on the Soul and Ska nights, and the Peel, downstairs was always a bit lively.
On the subject of Savile, hate the perverted twat with a passion. Once tried touching up my daughter when she was about 12 and she told him to fuck off. That picture of him and his pal Bruno befriending Peter Sutcliffe in Broadmoor turned my stmach.
Anyway, JS aside, great thread and thanks for the memories.

we used to live in the el toro skip work and spend the day there with a few mates, knew some of the guys who worked there' Rick and Alex, they were spanish or thereabouts you bought a coffee and just kept your head down and just chilled, it was a cool scene in leeds then cheap ale and entry into the clubs too, always buzzin, used to go in the old mecca or spinning disc as it became known, the bouncers there were full on ,one was an ex copper called paddy he looked like one of the krays a real nasty mother used to love throwing guys out through the double doors and splitting heads in the process never bothered him at all,i used to get barred from there regularly for being well trolleyed and gobby just couldnt leave it you know,saw a few good groups there inc the factotums and the dawnbreakers who were fancied to go big time but never did, Paul and Pete Madeley worked there Pete was manager and paul supervised etc Pete was quite a big bloke unlike Paul,When Pete left  Wilf Preen took over as manager and the whole scene changed as you had to wear a tie to get in ,i remember one mondaqy a group of rockers or greasers as we called em turned up from sherburn and gave aq few of the lads a seeing to,so next monday the lads turned up and trashed all their bikes, BSAs Triumphs, AJSs all got pushed over and jumped on, which didnt go down well,I remember Daz sort of medium build with curly hair used to do a bit of drumming with various outfits ok guy also a kid called monty tall with blond hair used to love scrapping,also Fig and Dave smith ring any bells? three coins was as ive said most exellent, the girls used to put talc on the floor then dance on it in a circle,we got to knowthe woman who ran the drinks bar (soft of course) and we always got freebies remember when Nasville Teens played there and we upset one of them Art Sharp so he kept giving us the v sign with his maracass whist playing the set what ,a tit!

this stuff is ace, any pictures?

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

We didn't have cameras in those days lad. sad

I luv white wrote:

We didn't have cameras in those days lad. sad

too right couldnt afford one ,plus there was too much going on to be bothered snappping like the kids do now ,too many lithe young ladies to pursue back then , is it me or were they not as gobby in the 60s,more curvy handle friendly too,one such young lady worked at Vallances on the Headrow a big record store there ,we used to go in on saturdays and spend the afternoon in the record booths she put on album after album,Beatles,Stones Hendrix Who,etc she also used to borrow from work so we could listen them over the weekend sounds tame now but it was quite street cred at the time her name was Madeline she had long blonde hair her mate was Shirley taller and brunette,I remember Phil May from the Pretty Things came into Vallances to sign albums Maddy got us in early avoiding the mob,Remember Kitchens on King Edward Street music store they sold the Hoffner Bass MCcartney was using it had a large tag on the neck with a photo of Paul and a "good Luck Paul" message,

This is great stuff alright but Saturday afternoons shouldn't you have been at the match?

Cutsyke wrote:

This is great stuff alright but Saturday afternoons shouldn't you have been at the match?

lol:lol:
Kicking fuck out of the scummers and scouse with our steel capped toed boots. From Milletts of course. Or in my case that shop between the Beech and the Crown. Only problem was if you got legged you couldn't run as fast. I reckon that's why trainers became vogue, so cowardly football fans like me could leg it quicker.

Think that should have been steel toe cap boots. Aaaaarghhhhhh.

I luv white wrote:

Forgot to mention the resident group in the Coins, the Blue Sounds. Remember that drummer with the cig permanently hanging from his mouth? That DJ was a bit off the wall as well, George? I remember the Outer Limits winning the battle of the band at the Queens Hall in 1964. The Cresters were a good band at the time as well. I remember thrashing Liverpool  4-2 as well in our first home game back in Div 1. Happy days. yikes:o

How did I miss this? My old man sang in The Blue Sounds. The drummer will have been Dougie. Crazy. Literally. My old man has some great tales from back then.
Just put this on Twitter that someone found...
https://twitter.com/154HopperAvenue/sta … 07584?s=19

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...