Topic: Psychometrics Tests

Anyone done these as part of an interview process?
Had an interview for a role I quite fancied last week which was quite informal.
I'm told by the recruiters that the stage 2 is more formalised and involves a series of Psychometric and Competency Tests.
Stage 3 is to prepare and deliver a  presentation ffs.

I'm starting to wonder whether I can actually be arsed.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Re: Psychometrics Tests

I've never EVER got passed a psychometric test.  But given my mental history they all probably looked at the results and then locked the door, turned out the lights and hid under the table until they were sure I'd gone.

As far as I can tell, they're so the type of people who like team building exercises recruit people who they won't find challenging in any way.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

To be honest, I'm surprised they're legal.  It's just waiting for an autistic to sue the shit out of someone for a lack of ableism.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

My firm that I'm still at was orginally based in Tel Aviv.

They made me take a repetitive personality test:

Q1 - would you report someone stealing from work?
Q2 - what if it was a woman selling stationary to feed her children?
Q3 - if someone was stealing, would you report them?
Q4 - would you buy stolen stationary from a co-worker
Q68 - Have you even funded Hezbollah?
Q69 - Have you stolen a stapler?

I failed it and my manager had to step in.

Loose Lips wrote:

My firm that I'm still at was orginally based in Tel Aviv.

They made me take a repetitive personality test:

Q1 - would you report someone stealing from work?
Q2 - what if it was a woman selling stationary to feed her children?
Q3 - if someone was stealing, would you report them?
Q4 - would you buy stolen stationary from a co-worker
Q68 - Have you even funded Hezbollah?
Q69 - Have you stolen a stapler?

I failed it and my manager had to step in.

Always the Hezbollah one that gets 'em....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

1,2,3,4,69. Just how bad are the wages that everyone is having to steal to feed their families?

68. On these wages?

Never heard of a Psychometric test before. I want to do one how.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Tue 18 Sep 2018 4:16 pm)

Briggs Meyer is the big trendy one, tells your company whether you're psychopathic enough to make upper management.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

The old Myers Briggs tests, not seen them in a long while..

These tests are used either because they have a "type" - sales person - can break down problems, leads with head not heart, etc., or they're trying to weed out a type who generally bomb in the role.

Here's the types https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-per … htm?bhcp=1

Competency and situational questions much better in my book, i.e. tell me about a time you were rushed by Millwall, what was your approach, how did you communicate to other members in the team, what was the outcome?

With the psych test you can't fudge it, they ask you the same thing over and over in a different context then they flip it to ask you to disagree with what you answered earlier to see if you are really like that.

Last edited by king of the slums (Tue 18 Sep 2018 4:32 pm)

#DoTheDai \o/

Mike Jones wrote:

Briggs Meyer is the big trendy one, tells your company whether you're psychopathic enough to make upper management.

big_smile

#DoTheDai \o/

Cutsyke wrote:

1,2,3,4,69. Just how bad are the wages that everyone is having to steal to feed their families?

68. On these wages?

Never heard of a Psychometric test before. I want to do one how.

It was odd.

I lied so much about my gambling habit and drinking i actually lied about how many times i'd been arrested to make me seem more normal

I think they really cared about the Hezbollah question and tried to hide it in amongst pencil theft.

They made me resit it.

I lacked consistency in my answers.

Not liking what I'm reading on here chaps!
All this to shift trolleys in the car park at Asda?....don't fucking think so!

I have done a couple over the years, they were correct. Think Briggs Meyers was the underlying software. We have even used them ourselves in the past, but they weren't so good.

Ten years ago, the results from one girl pointed her to being a top salesperson and a fierce negotiator. She was none of the above (and Godsquad as it turned out) and left after a short time just after the Christmas party and when she walked out of the door she said she ''would pray for us''.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

I initially thought it was bollocks when I first came across it in the nineties. We used Belbin back then. But then you read about it and the research that went into it and a apply it... Well I became a convert and it has always been a help to me in managing people. No different to playing  footballers in correct or different positions really, you're just assessing intellectual application as opposed to ball skills.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

But that's the precise difference and therefore controversy - assessing ball skills is pretty objective, most people can distinguish a pro footballer from a Sunday league player. Assessing intellectual capacity and then using that to dictate someone's career is very subjective, how do you measure these things accurately in a way that reflects a person's true abilities?

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

You are not assessing their intellectual capacity so much as how they apply it. People work in in different ways and interact differently. The classic point of conflict in teams in Belbin is between to shapers as shapers like to lead and thereby don't like to follow the other shaper. Plants will sit quietly in the corner getting on with whatever they are supposed to be doing but also dreaming up solutions to problems nobody has thought yet if only somebody would ask them. Company workers / completer finishers will do prodigious amounts of work but often do not want managerial responsibility they do wish to be recognised for their effort though and get pissed of if they are not.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Surely all this has to be in context with the role being applied for though?
In this instance I feel it's overkill and it seems to me that experience/knowhow these days comes fairly low down the list in terms of applicant selection.
I've interviewed people who didn't come across as particularly intellectual but had all the experience and job specific attributes to be a success at the job.
Equally, and in one particular case I interviewed someone who blew me away but didn't know his arse from his elbow when actually delivering.

I'm assuming these tests are to assist in such cases but given that most jobs these days have a probationary period anyway, just struggling to get my head round it.

The thing is that psychometric and competency test are different animals. All psychometric are or should be is an in sight into how people, think, work, interact, what their predispositions are and thereby how they might fit within a team. It is not or should not be framed as a pass / fail and anybody framing it as such should be fired for managerial incompetence.

Psychometric test is there to make sure you're not off type personally, i.e. type of person who can do this job.

The competency (or situational) interview digs into what you know and how you apply it as a behaviour, so it validates your CV and gives them something more scientific than a CV walk-through to make a hiring decision.

I've used competency interviews a lot and if done correctly they really help. The interviewer should be putting you at ease, they're not trying to trip you up, they're asking you to expand on your experience and give anecdotal answers to behaviours they are looking for.

Have they told you the behaviours they want in the role or do you have an idea? Generally it's stuff like; communicating with impact, collaborating for success, taking the initiative, constantly looking how to improve the status quo, etc. They'll be 5 or 6 attached to the role.

Thing is you can't revise this stuff, you've either done it, or you've not, but you can start to get your head around it and in all case they'll be looking for what's known as a STAR response (Situation, Task, Action, Response/Result)

Situation was this, I had to do x to get shit done, so I got everyone together and the result was Bielsa signed a 2 year deal.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what- … ue-2061629

Last edited by king of the slums (Thu 20 Sep 2018 2:37 pm)

#DoTheDai \o/

Taking me right back to my MBA them names.

Johari Window, known to you, unknown to you, known to others malarkey...

Glad I'm not involved in all that bollocks now.

Mike Jones wrote:

But that's the precise difference and therefore controversy - assessing ball skills is pretty objective, most people can distinguish a pro footballer from a Sunday league player. Assessing intellectual capacity and then using that to dictate someone's career is very subjective, how do you measure these things accurately in a way that reflects a person's true abilities?

Its not assessing intellectual capacity in most of the tests I have seen, rather assessing personality type i.e. Hunter, gatherer, risk taker, risk assessor, introvert, extrovert tenacity etc etc. they are not fool proof of course as mentioned, but I do think they provide some valuable clues.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Mitaman wrote:
Mike Jones wrote:

Its not assessing intellectual capacity in most of the tests I have seen, rather assessing personality type i.e. Hunter, gatherer, risk taker, risk assessor, introvert, extrovert tenacity etc etc. they are not fool proof of course as mentioned, but I do think they provide some valuable clues.

My boss wanted me to do these when I worked in the city.  I refused as I thought it was head fuckery and I didn't understand it (I was mid 20s).  I realise now that it was possibly a chance of serious career furthermore and I failed the first test.  Ha ha ha, ah well.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I had to do one for an IT network engineer role at Asda a few years ago. I didn't get offered an interview as I didn't meet their criteria. I maybe should have given more geeky answers, and pretended I liked lord of the rings.

Had to do quite a few over the years - mostly Myers Briggs and Belbin

Done the numerical/verbal/logical reasoning ones too - usually pretty good at them unless I've had a good drink the night before

Also been on quite a few courses where your 'type' is assessed - mostly the result tells me what I know,  that I'm lazy and like to put forward ideas that I expect others to make happen!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.