Topic: AFC Fylde at home....

FT: 0-0 Att: 1197

We didn't lose....

That's about as good as it got tonight. It was always going to be a nervous game after the dust had settled from Saturday's loss. With Brown and Kosylo out through suspension and Tomlinson gone for the season, there was a hope we'd see Cameron King get a start in midfield. He'd impressed in pre-season and when he made his only start in the 3-0 win over Maidstone. No such luck. Odelusi and Lineghan started in midfield. We were suitably underwhelmed.

Most of the talk before the game was about Saturday.
And that ref.
And Kosylo's temper.
But the real issue was Brown's sending off. He was there tonight chatting to fans.
Those that have watched the incident are genuinely mystified by the red...make your own mind up, incident is at about 1.50, you see Mioso go to ground and Brown appears to step over him. I really don't see a deliberate stamp. The appeal's in apparently. Scroll along the options at the bottom for the Town match.
[video]

Like King, a lot of fans have been wondering what McLeod, another who impressed in pre-season, has to do to get a start. We got 10 minutes of him tonight as he replaced Odelusi late on. They may have come to nothing, but his runs with the ball, taking players on and trying to create something, showed promise. God knows Town need a spark from somewhere to get back to winning ways.

Hannah reckoned King must have 'got into trouble' and that Fullarton is teaching him a lesson. In the absence of any other reason, I'm going with that one.

Fylde were unbeaten in their six previous games on the road this year with only two goals conceded. They also had Danny Rowe starting who many had thought would be playing in the football league this year. No doubt Fylde's backers are paying wages Town could only dream of to keep him for another season.

They're a soul-less outfit. Created from what were essentially two West Lancashire League teams in 1988, they've risen through the lower divisions on the back of their impressively-named and equally impressively-resourced chairman, David Haythornthwaite. Any club that can spend £30,000 on a 200-seater stand when they're in the North-West Counties League and then open an £18m stadium and 'sports village' just ten years later, isn't short of a bob or two.

For all of their millions, their away following was more scotch egg than prawn sandwich. What seemed like 40 or 50 assorted oddballs that I'm not sure even clapped throughout what was admittedly a fairly non-descript 90 minutes (just checked, there were 72 of them apparently).

I remember when we went there last year thinking it was almost like the ground and team were the cast and film set for a really bad brit-com about a rags to riches non-league team that break into the premier league still under the direction of their original manager who also teaches PE at the local primary or is landlord of the local pub or whatever. A love interest for the bad lad centre forward in the shape of the lass who sells programmes with her Dad, the obsessive fan. Think Martine McCutcheon and Hugo Speer. Tom Wilkinson as the reporter from the local rag, Mark Addy running the bar under the stand and Steve Husion cutting the grass. You get the idea. Can you tell the game was bit dull?

We were sat next to Town's youth academy players tonight. They were having to fill in sheets about technical aspects of the game, tactics and the like. Given what was on offer it probably doubled-up as their 'creative writing' module.

It was one of those games where, with the exception of a few moments of excitement, not a right lot happened. Which, as we drove home, was no bad thing according to Hannah. A quick glance at Town's twitter feed gives you a flavour of what was on offer....'Having some trouble at the moment finding a fully pumped-up ball' was the offering after 8 minutes.

But like Hannah said 'we didn't lose'.

Seems an age ago now that we were celebrating an unbeaten first six games, top of the league status and Fullarton being crowned the manager of the month for the National League. The decline, if that isn't an overstatement, has been pretty quick. So tonight's point will do.

Edwards continued where he left off, getting another of his frustrating performances out of the way. It's not that the crowd don't want him to do well, he just can't quite seem to get it right. Like a new-born foal, one limb doesn't always seem to wok with the other. He missed a couple of really good chances and one absolute sitter when fed a decent ball after good work from Odelusi. To be fair, it was a night for that. Fylde's sub managed to loop the ball over the bar from about a foot out in the last minute of added time. Not one for the purists.

I did wonder whether Hannah might finally have found a ref she approved of....
https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42559776_10156186179076725_3022535946970071040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=1b00c12529ec6056202cdde7524f58c4&oe=5C205DD6
So much for sisterhood. The search for a decent ref goes on.

We actually had a giggle tonight. Sometimes when the football on show isn't the best, you can be fairly relaxed about it all. At the end of the game, Fylde will be the most disappointed of the two teams. The slide has been halted for now.

Bromley away on Saturday. They're 17th after their win over Ebbsfleet tonight. Town climbed a place to 10th. Three points there and what should be another win away at Aldershot on the 6th of October and things could look very different when they take on Chesterfield in front of the BT cameras on the 13th. Hannah's mate Ellie, who plays on a Saturday, should be coming. I think she's quite excited about showing her what it's all about.

I know I go on about it, but whilst the standard isn't great, the crowds are small and atmosphere is often sadly lacking, she's still keeping the faith. And we're still having a laugh....
https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42513271_10156185777671725_7186025528011259904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=aa045e4fd9bb75ab150a98046b300383&oe=5C1A5E72

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:19 pm)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: AFC Fylde at home....

We were sat next to Town's youth academy players tonight. They were having to fill in sheets about technical aspects of the game, tactics and the like.

Did she offer help?

Human kindness is overflowing

I think they were more interested in their phones.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Best one yet Trav - whether that's because it contained less about football i'm not sure.......

I especially liked the 'brit-com' bit but this was my favourite:

"Hannah reckoned King must have 'got into trouble' and that Fullarton is teaching him a lesson. In the absence of any other reason, I'm going with that one"

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ace as ever TB.  Thank you.

Lovely pic as well.

Aim Low and miss...

You should stop wiring them on here and put them all together in one of those Seasons books. Unlike most of them, yours would be worth reading.

When the young lad starts going with you, these are going to change dramatically. 'Had to leave H in her seat and rescue young J who, once again,  saw fit to charge the away fans.'

Last edited by Cutsyke (Wed 26 Sep 2018 1:32 pm)

Human kindness is overflowing

“More Scotch egg than Prawn sarnie” im totally nicking that!