Topic: Touching The Void - Joe Simpson

Fiiiinally read this after starting it a few years ago and never finishing it. Remarkable content, not only the subject matter but the wrestle over the consciences of those involved. I had to admire the narrative of Simpson as there are only so many ways you can describe the cold, the rocks, the pain, the fatigue, the snow etc without sounding repetitive. Some great descriptions.

Not seen the doc either, it’s on youtube so I’ll give it a watch.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Touching The Void - Joe Simpson

Harvest wrote:

Fiiiinally read this after starting it a few years ago and never finishing it. Remarkable content, not only the subject matter but the wrestle over the consciences of those involved. I had to admire the narrative of Simpson as there are only so many ways you can describe the cold, the rocks, the pain, the fatigue, the snow etc without sounding repetitive. Some great descriptions.

Not seen the doc either, it’s on youtube so I’ll give it a watch.

It`s worth a watch

________________________________________________________________________________

I`ve got a mate whose son was a massive fan of the film when it came out, at the time he`d have been a kid. Simpson was giving a talk at somewhere like Sheffield University, so my mate took his son.
At the end all these young female students were asking Simpson questions so my mate asked him,

"How come you went back to do the filming, why didn`t they use an actor?"
Simpson didn`t reply, but had clearly heard, so he asked for a second time. No reply.
Third time, Simpson turned and said, "Because nobody else could fucking do it".

________________________________________________________________________________

Should read this again. Got the DVD somewhere too I think.

Superb movie, not quite a documentary, part acted n that. Another thread on here somewhere. As said above some of the moral quandaries these 2 fellas had to go through are mind-blowing. Very moving. The climbing buddy in this story won't speak about this anymore, fucked his head.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Watched the doc last night. Good adaptation of the book. Can't begin to imagine the loneliness he felt out there.

Last edited by Harvest (Wed 17 Oct 2018 7:52 am)

Not sure if I have read this, but I deffo remember the film

I am just a common breed

The book was better I thought.

Mike Jones wrote:

Superb movie, not quite a documentary, part acted n that. Another thread on here somewhere. As said above some of the moral quandaries these 2 fellas had to go through are mind-blowing. Very moving. The climbing buddy in this story won't speak about this anymore, fucked his head.

He got a lot of stick from the climbing "community" for cutting the rope by all accounts.
Easy to do unless you're the one hanging over the crevice waiting to be pulled down to certain death I suppose.

Watched the documentary a few weeks back,gripping stuff.

Definitely gonna give the book a go though.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.