Topic: Robert Newman's "A Total Eclipse of Descarte".

If you've seen any of Robert Newman's comedy since the turn of the century you will know what sort of thing he serves up.  It's kind of like a school master telling the slow class things that he can't believe they don't know already.  His clever kind of humour is fine if you like it (me, for instance) but if not you will think that he's crawled up his own intellectual arse (wife, for instance).

I did get most of the philosophy/classical references which helped follow his dialogue but the wife didn't and fell asleep in the second half.  The audience looked to be well off, over 50, educated Boden/Racing Green clad bods mixed with older new-age types.  Not sure if that's relevant to anything, but there was definitely a theme there.

So there you go.  If you already know what he does and like it then go see it, but make sure you go with other intellectuals so you have someone to discuss it with.  If you don't then stick to your box set and stay home.

Pi out of 5.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Re: Robert Newman's "A Total Eclipse of Descarte".

I like him.  Do you like Mark Steele and Mark Thomas too?

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Seen them both numerous times and like them live very much indeed - always try to get tickets when they come to the provinces.  Steele's show about finding his biological father was brilliant.

But for some reason when either of them get on the Beeb they just get too political.

Newman's attempting painfully to be an "intellectual" but from what I've seen he gets a lot of stuff wrong - thinks he's the smartest man in the room and he isn't

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

space wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Seen them both numerous times and like them live very much indeed - always try to get tickets when they come to the provinces.  Steele's show about finding his biological father was brilliant.

But for some reason when either of them get on the Beeb they just get too political.

Steele's rant on blaming the poor on QT was priceless though.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Mike Jones wrote:

Newman's attempting painfully to be an "intellectual" but from what I've seen he gets a lot of stuff wrong - thinks he's the smartest man in the room and he isn't

Can't argue with this.  But I will say in his defence that he's the first comedian I've seen in months that wasn't just touring around the sticks to flog a fucking book.