Re: Universal Credit A.K.A. Lets starve the poor

Travis Bickle wrote:

Whatever the faults of the current Labour leadership, one thing I think we can be fairly confident of is that, if they win the next general election, this vile system will be changed. And taxes will go up to pay for it. The way the economy works will be addressed.
Whether in the long-term that leads to other problems (loss of investment, aggressive tax avoidance etc) is open to debate. And I suspect 'big and not so big' business won't welcome that change, but there will be one.
But the notion that the vulnerable will remain ignored is just plain wrong....

The Tories had their chance to do this correctly.  I was always of the left but I am not so blinkered as to not give a government a chance to prove themselves.  I kind of liked Cameron's idea of a "big society", turns out it wasn't workable as it's not easy to just offer help to councils, they don't like it and he really only wanted to cut services and plug gaps with well meaning volunteers. These fuckers have taken us back decades.  The have invested nothing, sold off everything and punished the weak.  All round shitheads and proof of anyone needed it that Tories are cunts.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Sun 21 Oct 2018 4:36 pm)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Whatever the faults of the current Labour leadership, one thing I think we can be fairly confident of is that, if they win the next general election, this vile system will be changed. And taxes will go up to pay for it. The way the economy works will be addressed.
Whether in the long-term that leads to other problems (loss of investment, aggressive tax avoidance etc) is open to debate. And I suspect 'big and not so big' business won't welcome that change, but there will be one.
But the notion that the vulnerable will remain ignored is just plain wrong....

The Tories had their chance to do this correctly.  I was always of the left but I am not so blinkered as to not give a government a chance to prove themselves.  I kind of liked Cameron's idea of a "big society", turns out it wasn't workable as it's not easy to just offer help to councils, they don't like it and he really only wanted to cut services and plug gaps with well meaning volunteers. These fuckers have taken us back decades.  The have invested nothing, sold off everything and punished the weak.  All round shitheads and proof of anyone needed it that Tories are cunts.

I don't disagree with any of that Reg.

But I also couldn't vote for Corbyn as he's so dishonest about his intentions, and Labour has virtually no policy promises in it's manifesto now other than sound bytes. 

I don't trust any of the fuckers anymore.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

You really can't have read the last manifesto. It was full of them

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

You really can't have read the last manifesto. It was full of them

Yep, here's the highlights:

Key policies
Scrap student tuition fees
Nationalisation of England's nine water companies.
Re-introduce the 50p rate of tax on the highest earners (above £123,000)
Income tax rate 45p on £80,000 and above
More free childcare, expanding free provisions for two, three and four year olds
Guarantee triple lock for pensioner incomes
End to zero hours contracts
Hire 10,000 new police officers, 3,000 new firefighters
Moves to charge companies a levy on salaries above £330,000
Deliver rail electrification "including in Wales and the South West".

Nationalising that Fookin railway system has to be the first on anybody's manifesto surely?

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Agreed lying bastard cunts. No matter what side “they” are.
Mol hope it gets better for you

I am just a common breed

under the arches wrote:

Yes but we have a proven bunch of liars currently hanging on to power and the other guy surely cannot be tarred with the same brush.  Shouldn't they get their go?

Reggie Perrin wrote:
under the arches wrote:

Yes but we have a proven bunch of liars currently hanging on to power and the other guy surely cannot be tarred with the same brush.  Shouldn't they get their go?

That's how it works Reg.  They line up and take their go.  Perhaps that's the issue I have.

Epilogue:  The Council have contacted my daughter to tell her that not having a job and not getting any benefits from Universal Credit does not qualify her for any discount to her council tax.

space wrote:

Epilogue:  The Council have contacted my daughter to tell her that not having a job and not getting any benefits from Universal Credit does not qualify her for any discount to her council tax.

What??
That can't be right surely?

Are they making it up as they go along?

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
space wrote:

What??
That can't be right surely?

Are they making it up as they go along?

She's also not getting housing benefit.  It's amazing just how much spare cash they think you have when your income is zero.

You used to need to be in receipt of benefits to get council tax benefit. Probably still do.

We've identified how they screwed her.

She used to work 25 hours a week and get working tax credit.  As she has a 5 year old son this is all the hours she could do.  Fine so far....

In the last month of her employment, loads of people jumped ship to other jobs because they knew the place was closing (she worked in a restaurant/pub), and because they were closing they couldn't find staff willing to drive out into the countryside for a short term gig, so my daughter got us to look after her kid for a few weeks and she worked 100 hours a week for the last month.  So her last months wage (including owed holiday and two weeks redundancy) was around 5 times her normal wage.

Instead of taking her exact income to date from the P45 that was sat on the fucking desk in front of them, the bright cunt involved multiplied her last take home pay by 12 and used that as her annual salary.

So according to them she earns 5 times more than she has previously told them - so no benefit for you.

Think that's bad?  It gets worse....

They not only won't give her benefit, but have asked her to repay her last two years of working tax credit as her (fictional) earnings means she is not entitled to it.  So instead of giving her benefits to live on, they want a five figure sum returned to them.

Think that's bad?  It gets worse...

Despite them knowing that they fucked up and them admitting they fucked up, she now has to go through a lengthy appeal process before they can recalculate her income.  Despite them already recalculating her income while she was in the office then and telling her about the mistake.  For some reason they can't just do it again correctly.  It must be an official appeal.

Last edited by space (Thu 08 Nov 2018 12:53 pm)

Scandalous

Truly scandalous

How the hell do they get away with it?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Scandalous

Truly scandalous

Because enough people vote for the party who really don't give a fuck about other people's wellbeing, either mental or financial.

The benefits system has been abused in the past, but applying a hammer to it is not going to improve it.

And selfishness of too many people mean it only becomes a cause for any concern or interest to them when it impacts directly on their lives, or the lives of loved ones.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

cordshoes wrote:

Scandalous

Truly scandalous

Because enough people vote for the party who really don't give a fuck about other people's wellbeing, either mental or financial.

The benefits system has been abused in the past, but applying a hammer to it is not going to improve it.

And selfishness of too many people mean it only becomes a cause for any concern or interest to them when it impacts directly on their lives, or the lives of loved ones.

The phrase "there for the grace of God" is and always was very pertinent.  When we became a rich country it seemed important to show the world that we looked after our less fortunate.  Now it seems like a reintroduction of a landlord and poverty wages culture pre-welfare state and unions.

Society would be richer if citizens were not so reliant on state handouts. People in genuine need should get some as long as its monitored and deducted from future wages. The most splendid  fire work displays in my area over the last 12 days were conducted in gardens  of those supposedly living on the breadline.

Kris Alpine wrote:

Society would be richer if citizens were not so reliant on state handouts. People in genuine need should get some as long as its monitored and deducted from future wages. The most splendid  fire work displays in my area over the last 12 days were conducted in gardens  of those supposedly living on the breadline.

Soooo, NI deducted from prior wages count for nought?

Fireworks?  The fucking cunts.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Kris Alpine wrote:

I bet they were laughing while they did it, the cunts.

space wrote:

We've identified how they screwed her.

She used to work 25 hours a week and get working tax credit.  As she has a 5 year old son this is all the hours she could do.  Fine so far....

In the last month of her employment, loads of people jumped ship to other jobs because they knew the place was closing (she worked in a restaurant/pub), and because they were closing they couldn't find staff willing to drive out into the countryside for a short term gig, so my daughter got us to look after her kid for a few weeks and she worked 100 hours a week for the last month.  So her last months wage (including owed holiday and two weeks redundancy) was around 5 times her normal wage.

Instead of taking her exact income to date from the P45 that was sat on the fucking desk in front of them, the bright cunt involved multiplied her last take home pay by 12 and used that as her annual salary.

So according to them she earns 5 times more than she has previously told them - so no benefit for you.

Think that's bad?  It gets worse....

They not only won't give her benefit, but have asked her to repay her last two years of working tax credit as her (fictional) earnings means she is not entitled to it.  So instead of giving her benefits to live on, they want a five figure sum returned to them.

Think that's bad?  It gets worse...

Despite them knowing that they fucked up and them admitting they fucked up, she now has to go through a lengthy appeal process before they can recalculate her income.  Despite them already recalculating her income while she was in the office then and telling her about the mistake.  For some reason they can't just do it again correctly.  It must be an official appeal.

You would think would be a complaint number. Ring they get the person who fucked it up, they get the fuck off tablet & then you get rectified. Absolute shit heads

I am just a common breed

space wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Kris Alpine wrote:

I bet they were laughing while they did it, the cunts.

You can just see them, flaunting their Ye Olde Oak hot dogs too.  They maketh my piss boil.

Bet they had tins of actual beer too.

cordshoes wrote:

Scandalous

Truly scandalous

Post of the year Cordshoes.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
cordshoes wrote:

Scandalous

Truly scandalous

The phrase "there for the grace of God" is and always was very pertinent.  When we became a rich country it seemed important to show the world that we looked after our less fortunate.  Now it seems like a reintroduction of a landlord and poverty wages culture pre-welfare state and unions.

You been reading Karl Marx? Although some of his beliefs caused immeasurable suffering when applied, there is some stuff that is creeping back into our thinking about the current state of affairs. Working people under the age of 45 who cannot buy a home, yet many own 3 or 4, summings'up I say. Capital v Labour is the burning question in 2018 once again, but no unions to fight capital.

Last edited by Mitaman (Fri 09 Nov 2018 1:27 am)

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Mitaman wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
cordshoes wrote:

You been reading Karl Marx? Although some of his beliefs caused immeasurable suffering when applied, there is some stuff that is creeping back into our thinking about the current state of affairs. Working people under the age of 45 who cannot buy a home, yet many own 3 or 4, summings'up I say. Capital v Labour is the burning question in 2018 once again, but no unions to fight capital.

No never have to be honest, I have been reading a fair bit ot Yanis Varoufakis and re-read Robert Tressell last year though. 

I agree that it should be the burnng question but populist tabloid rags keep many squarely focused on the brown fella next door, it's his fault, or it the gout on min wage who overclaimed some benefits fault.  Not shit wages, cunts with 30 ex-council houses rented out on 6 month leases and multinational companies relying on councils to top up wages to pay rent on properties the council built but we're forced to sell.

We supposedly reside in a rich country but we are morally bankrupt.

The biggest abuse of the benefit system is shit wages.